What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Valiant Effort but Just Not Good Enough

deluded pom?

Coach
G.B. were blitzed by those two quick early tries and a capitulation was on the cards but they stuck in there and did well for me.Another stupid error straight from the second half kickoff compounded things but overall I felt we didn't deserve to be beaten by 23 points. A few plusses to come out of the TN for G.B. was the showings of Roby, Raynor and Hock. A few more experienced players went AWOL for whatever reasons. Considering we weren't expected to win a game it can be seen as not a successful campaign obviously but one the G.B. youngsters can take heart from.

badav

Bench
overall i think roby's been the most impressive dummy half so far. this guy could be one of the better hookers in the nrl if he was to come here i think

Hindmarshfan

Juniors
after the start i thought it was going to be 50.. but GB did well to hang in there at times, in the past it would have been 50.. i think their defence is improving, though Roos did blow a lot of chances. the Gasnier flick pass to Tate if thats taken or if he goes inside , the scoreline could have blown out. Roby was great, GB have to build around him..good pack of forwards and FB,,
just not consistent enough for long enough to many aweful periods.
Nothing unusual tonight for Roos , their defence was brilliant in parts though. just a lot of botched trys for mine. I think they are coming along nicely for next week if they take all their chances..

deluded pom?

Coach
I'd love to see some of the British youngsters take a chance in Australia and get out of the comfort zone that is the ESL . They may be big fish in a small pond there but I'd like to see them put their reputation on the line.

screeny

Bench
Australia were toying with GB at times, but there was some entertaining stuff from the Brits at times (and the Aussies).

I was disappointed with just how many Brits seemed disinterested. Fielden, Gleeson, Newton (what's the point of him?), Senior, Horne etc. all crap.

Respect due to Moz, Roby, Peacock, Raynor and Ellis.

Balmain_Boy

I think Hock deserves to be in the latter list screeny.

Also think Newton tries hard, he's just sh*t.

screeny

Bench
Balmain_Boy said:
I think Hock deserves to be in the latter list screeny.

Also think Newton tries hard, he's just sh*t.
Yeah Hock had a good game. He even played a bit of winger!

Newton's no longer a liability, but he's gone from being ornery to just plain ordinary.

He, Senior, Long have all, hopefully, played their last Test footy.

Micistm

Bench
I have a new respect for the GB side, they have had some hellish things this series, as have the Kiwis I suppose, but to their credit they have never given up and never caved. Even losing their chief playmaker one week out from THE game for them.
I thought they were there to 'make up the numbers' before the series began. No way, you guys are going to be damn tough next year, Aussie & The Kiwis had better take note.

carlnz

Bench
I think Peacock has been the standout prop for the whole tournment.

I think if GB are serious about winning the comp then they will have to change there Super League Season as when they needed to hit their straps in 60th min they just looked tired.

Was a very very good game though, took 25 mins for the first mistake and it took till the second half kick off for the poms to make their first mistake.

axl rose

Bench
Micistm said:
efore the series began. No way, you guys are going to be damn tough next year,.

Are they playing the series again next year? i thought it was on hold for awhile.

D

Deleted member 10972

Roby looks like GB's equivalent of Craig Wing when in form. Unfortunately, Newton has nothing on Buderus. Whatever happened to Alker, Diskin & co.?

Mal Meninga

Bench
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
Roby looks like GB's equivalent of Craig Wing when in form.
Exactly what I thought last night. Roby just add's the spark needed and is a perfect bench player for international's.

D

Deleted member 10972

I think all that Great Britain lacks is a few genuine props. Whatever happened to Ryan Bailey, Danny Ward, Andy Coley, Paul King, Ewan Dowes, Gareth Carvell (didn't see enough gametime), Eorl Crabtree, Danny Sculthorpe, Nick Fozzard? Because Fielden is the only real prop in the whole line-up, GB are using their best backrowers Morley & Peacock as frontrowers for large portions of their matches. IMO, they need to go with a team looking something like:

8. Stuart Fielden
9. ?????? (whoever is the GB equivalent of Smith/Buderus)
10. A PROP
11. Adrian Morley
12. Jamie Peacock
13. Gareth Ellis (i assume he is the best GB lock now that Sculthorpe is getting on)

14. James Roby
15. A PROP
16. Gareth Hock
17. A PROP

Players like Gilmour, O'Loughlin, Wilkin...they are all honest triers, but are all not really international standard players. They don't have the gamebreaking finesse or any outstanding features about them, & are too small to really destroy another pack.

salivor

First Grade
Geez the years of losing anything and everything has been tough on the poms when they find valour in a 23 point defeat and finishing last.

nqboy

First Grade
I've said it before, others have said it as well but it bears repeating. Noble's selections were C-R-A-P. Pryce on the wing, Newton in the squad and Roby on the bench instead of starting, Noble hasn't got a clue.

The Poms would still have struggled but there's no need to shoot yourself in the foot before you start.

screeny

Bench
nqboy said:
I've said it before, others have said it as well but it bears repeating. Noble's selections were C-R-A-P. Pryce on the wing, Newton in the squad and Roby on the bench instead of starting, Noble hasn't got a clue.

The Poms would still have struggled but there's no need to shoot yourself in the foot before you start.

Exactly. Too much soul searching going on is missing the point. The coach let the English game down this series.

It's funny how perceptions about styles differ, for example when I watch McGuire, to me he is simply not what I would ever call a RL stand off, the way he plays the game, but he's the GB first choice!!!