What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A vote of thanks to Mike Tyler

roopy

Referee
What a job he did.
Turned around every aspect of the club in a very short time.

We are set to announce an 800k profit apparently.

Brilliant job Mike.

I hope he is made a life member - he deserves it.

Nuffy

Bench
I'll be the contriarian and say that we shouldn't equate the changes at the Knights as being the sole endeavour of one man.

I would argue that much of what happened was attributable to a team effort, not just the club but to the Hunter as a whole. There was also a far amount of serendipity about the sponsors actions etc.

Can I suggest that IF Tyler was such a irreplacable aspect of the clubs success, he would have been well placed to defend himself within the boardroom, his record should have been sufficient to see off any challenges.

Its ironic that Tyler is usurped via a boardroom coup, just as he unthroned Hill in the same manner.

What this episode has shown is that the board is more interested in their own games, rather than those of the members or the club in general. The sooner the board gets some new blood rather than more insiders, the better.

macavity

Referee
and I agree with you too nuffs, if I risk tearing my nuts on that fence...

Roops went too far in giving Tyler all the credit (and that has been a major problem with Tyler too.. taking all the credit) but we have to acknowledge that the turnaround came on his watch - Hill (as much as he did do), for example, had ample opportunity to get some of these things in place, and never did - to give all the credit to one man is too much, but do dismiss it as serendipity is similarly too simplistic.

the info I get is that Tyler stuffed nearly as much up as he got right - he turned off as many sponsors as he turned on, and he put off as many people as he got onside

but the fact remains, we have had a remarkable turnaround in the 18months or so he was in charge. can Corco and the NewcRL boys keep that going? Only time will tell, but one thing you have to give them, they can count (and play politics) better than Tyler can.

... and they are going to have full control of the board for at least the next 14 months.

what price 2 NewcRL board members being deleted, and then the casual vacancies being filled by the same guys?

antonius

Coach
I tend to agree with Macs thoughts on this. I'm very unhappy with the antics of the board and the supposed peace we now have. I think Nuffy has it right in another thread, the whole board should be dismantled and a new one elected by the members of the club. TYhis years AGM is going to be very interesting.

roopy

Referee
Maybe Tyler was lucky - or maybe some people just look lucky when they make things happen.

However you look at it - he got the job done.

When he came in we were lurching from crises to crises - and during his reign we had success after success off the field.

He took over with the club plunging to the wooden spoon - with the worst coaching and training staff in the league - with loss after loss looking like driving us bankrupt - with our major sponser pulling out.

In his time we went from last to finalists - we now have a great coaching and training staff - we are making a profit and are in great financial shape for the future.

If it was all done by luck - can i share a lottery ticket with you Mike - i'll buy.

cram

Bench
There is no doubt that Tyler was the head of a team that made things happen and as the leader of that team he can be credited for all the things that Roopy says. A bit like Mac I am a bit of fence sitter on Tyler.

I give him credit for the leader of change but he was part of a team.

For me I want to know the real reason for his demise not the party line being trotted out.

Of course we will never officially hear the truth but without the truth it is difficult to know whether his demise was justified or a political move.

roopy

Referee
even if we hear a story from the current board (which we won't unless he did something really bad - and we would have heard about that already) - the old saying is that the victors get to write history - so there will be another side - and Tyler is actually too much of a politician to ever spill his guts.

The bottom line is - he produced the goods.

Nuffy

Bench
Roops

A fair point is that just as Tyler was Chairman, so Conway was CEO and therefore by your assumption...............equally entitled to enjoy kudos.

Plus Corcoran was deputy so he also enjoys the spoils.

Also, if Tyler inherited a basketcase, then he as a long time deputy chairman must assume a fair proportion of that blame based on the rationale.

See the danger in assuming figureheads are wholly responsible.

Its a flawed argument, but as always you are entitled to your opinion.

Tyler can accept some kudo's as chairman, as much as the brickbats he deserved for being part of the sh*tfight that caused the problem. It was however a combination of teamwork, circumstance and sheer dumbass luck.

The Genge

Juniors
Yes I think everyone has had a part in the success of the Knights - even the club CEO - Ken Conway. Please remember that the directors only meet once every week or so - its the staff who do the 40+ hours a week. Then again the staff are paid, its their job - the directors are not paid - they do it for the love of the team/game even the NRL directors.

Big Tim

First Grade
roopy said:
even if we hear a story from the current board (which we won't unless he did something really bad - and we would have heard about that already) - the old saying is that the victors get to write history - so there will be another side - and Tyler is actually too much of a politician to ever spill his guts.

The bottom line is - he produced the goods.

He was ousted to stop Privitisation :roll: :roll: :roll:

We are now run by the NRL... is that not privitisation of sorts????

I applaud Tyler's efforts, as he came in at a really bad time for our club and has steered us in a great direction. To say it was all luck is crap. Luck may have been the Coal & Allied sponsorship, but it couldnt have been 100% luck.

Good job Mike. I hope that you will be involved with my club in some way in the future.