What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A win for the fans: Dragons knock back a motza

The Colonel

Immortal
legend said:
Definitely a loss for Rugby League fans in general and is the typical attitude of clubs and whilst I can understand it to a point, it underpins why the game will struggle to grow outside of NSW and Qld. Too much self interest rather than putting on a late season spectacle in front of a full house in a stadium that holds more than double the people.

But does moving it now, this late in the week, guarantee a bigger crowd? If it was moved a few weeks ago - maybe. You may get the crowd of 30,000 but you may only get an extra 2,000 or 3,000 as well. Potentially you can put a lot of fans offside by moving games for the sake of a dollar.....

eelsta

Bench
personally i wish they would move it, but you can't blame the dragons for keeping ther'e home ground advantage.

brokendigit

Juniors
legend said:
Definitely a loss for Rugby League fans in general and is the typical attitude of clubs and whilst I can understand it to a point, it underpins why the game will struggle to grow outside of NSW and Qld. Too much self interest rather than putting on a late season spectacle in front of a full house in a stadium that holds more than double the people.

Where's is the incentive for punters to pay their hard-earned on a season ticket, if every major game (ie: St George Illawarra Vs Parramatta) is going to be relocated to a major venue?

So it's OK for suburban grounds to be allocated the 'non-important' games?
Because if clubs start swapping their games at every opportunity - after a few seasons, you're left with two groups;

1) An ever decreasing number of die-hard fans who turn up, rain, hail or shine, buy their season tickets year after year, who get p*ssed off when the 'big' games are relocated.
2) A transitory group of fans, who will happily fork out for 'one-off' games, but won't turn up week-in, week out.

Let me ask you - which group of fans are more important to the long-term sustainability of all clubs (& therefore the game in general)?

legend

Coach
Season ticket holders get in for free so where's the issue? If the game is to grow, then the neutrals like myslef would love to go and watch a game like this but wont bother because Kogarah is a hole of a ground and will be far too uncomfortable to watch a game of footy jammed in like a sardine. It's catering for Dragons fans only and whilst I can sort of understand the selfish attitude, I find the overall result highly disappointing.

Surely even the looniest fan can see the benefit of taking blockbusters to larger venues to attract more fans to the game?

Transistory fans are the ones we want to convert and will not turn up to Kogarah based on ground capacity, facilities (or lack thereof).

This approach is exactly the reason why the game will be forever on the back foot. It's a superb opportunity to take a marquee game to the masses but the clubs in their finite 'wisdom' put it in the too hard basket.

Saints would do well to take a leaf out of Brisbane's book when they moved their semi against the Cowboys last year.

Eels Dude

Coach
Red and Blue Knight said:
On form Parra have beaten two woeful sides and before that had a bye and two losses. Hardly one of the two inform teams of the comp.

Dragons and Tigers are the two form teams of the comp.

Newcastle would be third, doesn't matter if their last by 20 points...if their beaten top 8 teams left right centre for the past 7 weeks then their in form.

Interesting interpretation. You're either in form or you're out of form. There isn't really anything in the middle. Parramatta's performance on friday night showed that they are in form, it doesn't matter who you play, it's the standard that is delivered.. Everyone played well and the side showed that at their best they are one of the best in the comp. Newcastle are in form, however if they lose their next 2 by 20 the past 7 games means nothing, they'll be an out of form side again.

Back to the topic, well done to Dragons management. They wouldn't get the atmosphere and spirit at Aussie that they would at Kogarah, it'll be a great game out for the fans.

Eels Dude

Coach
legend said:
Season ticket holders get in for free so where's the issue? If the game is to grow, then the neutrals like myslef would love to go and watch a game like this but wont bother because Kogarah is a hole of a ground and will be far too uncomfortable to watch a game of footy jammed in like a sardine. It's catering for Dragons fans only and whilst I can sort of understand the selfish attitude, I find the overall result highly disappointing.

Surely even the looniest fan can see the benefit of taking blockbusters to larger venues to attract more fans to the game?

Transistory fans are the ones we want to convert and will not turn up to Kogarah based on ground capacity, facilities (or lack thereof).

This approach is exactly the reason why the game will be forever on the back foot. It's a superb opportunity to take a marquee game to the masses but the clubs in their finite 'wisdom' put it in the too hard basket.

Saints would do well to take a leaf out of Brisbane's book when they moved their semi against the Cowboys last year.

Kogarah is a great ground to watch football in my opinion, it's in Dragon's heartland and it has a real community feel. To say you can't be bothered going to Kogarah is a bit harsh, you're better off watching it on tv if thats the case. The masses are who exactly? Fans of neither club who want to see a great game. Fair enough, but if they want to see the match they should be willing to head out to local grounds rather than expect the game to come to them.

legend

Coach
I've been there plenty of times and apart from when I was in a corporate box, the ground is a shocker. I've been stuck behind a telegraph pole that hinders a view of the try line on the hill side of the ground. Hardly a great venue IMO. It's uncomfortable, there's no parking and the traffic is horrendous although there is a similar problem at the SFS when you park at the ground but the facilities are far superior.

Neutrals wont go because they already know it's sold out. They're (Dragons mamangement) preaching to the converted and it's hardly the best way to grow your audience by confining them to a local ground that holds 17k in conditions not condusive to comfortable specatating.

brokendigit

Juniors
legend said:

Season ticket holders don't get in for free. They pay for their tickets in advance, thereby allowing the club to bank those funds.
$10 guaranteed from a season ticket holder is more valuable than $20 that they may (or may not) get from the 'neutral' supporter.

I'm all for growing the game - but first & foremost, it needs to be sustainable growth. I completely understand your reluctance to attend a game at Kogarah. However, taking one-off games for the irregular (at best) $250-300K that this game would probably generate doesn't make long-term economic sense.

I agree that clubs like St George Illawarra MUST provide better facilities to attract potential (ie: new) supporters, but, they cannot do so by shifting games away from their home grounds.

I still applaud Brisbane's decision last year - but you're comparing apples with oranges. Look at the magnificent facilities that are on tap for Broncos season ticket-holders, & then compare them to Kogarah.

Brisbane are a well-run organisation, built on extremely solid foundations. I envy the resources they enjoy, but we'll never emulate their success by trying to get there by 'cashing in' on non-guaranteed income. That would be a receipe for financial disaster.

A slow & steady approach needs to be applied to growing clubs, & the game in general - otherwise, RL will be slowly overtaken by other codes.

The Colonel

Immortal
legend said:

Moving games in the hope more fans will turn up isn't an opportunity. Its a gamble.... you may well turn up, doesn't mean everyone will, particularly at this time of the week. Moving it this week doesn't guarantee a bigger crowd. Two weeks ago maybe, but then the Dragons were winning and the Eels weren't. The Eels bandwagon will kick off given the fact we have won but its a big gamble to take if you only court an extra three or four thousand fans.

The Broncos/Cowboys game was moved to Townsville where they were guaranteed a sell out.....

miketyson

Juniors
Saints have worked hard all year to put themselves in a position to be in a fight for minor premiership they should not give up one of there big advantages of playing at home this Sunday.

As for the game it's not like you can only get in with a season ticket , There are still tickets left if anyone wants to go. What I mean is anbody that really wants to see the game would have a ticket by now.

lemon rabbit

Juniors
Again some people on this board just can't be pleased.

Tigers to play their semi at Telstra is a terrible idea some say, as it gives up their home ground advantage and disadvantages local fans. However, the Dragons not moving a game is also a terrible idea? God help anybody trying to make a decision to please fans.

The decision not to move the game is a correct one. Just because a game turns out to be extremely popular given their place on the table does not mean the Kogarah faithful should lose one of their very few home games. It is their home ground, why should they move it just because it's going to sell out and perhaps leave fans outside the ground? If those fans didn't rush to pre-purchase tickets, then it is their fault.

Moving to Aussie may have been a financially better option but it means local fans have to travel just because their team is doing well. Not fair.

miketyson

Juniors
lemon rabbit said:
Again some people on this board just can't be pleased.

Tigers to play their semi at Telstra is a terrible idea some say, as it gives up their home ground advantage and disadvantages local fans. However, the Dragons not moving a game is also a terrible idea? God help anybody trying to make a decision to please fans.

The decision not to move the game is a correct one. Just because a game turns out to be extremely popular given their place on the table does not mean the Kogarah faithful should lose one of their very few home games. It is their home ground, why should they move it just because it's going to sell out and perhaps leave fans outside the ground? If those fans didn't rush to pre-purchase tickets, then it is their fault.

Moving to Aussie may have been a financially better option but it means local fans have to travel just because their team is doing well. Not fair.

Damm straight , The season ticket holders the clubs bread & butter should be looked after before anyone else.

brokendigit said:
Where's is the incentive for punters to pay their hard-earned on a season ticket, if every major game (ie: St George Illawarra Vs Parramatta) is going to be relocated to a major venue?

So it's OK for suburban grounds to be allocated the 'non-important' games?
Because if clubs start swapping their games at every opportunity - after a few seasons, you're left with two groups;

1) An ever decreasing number of die-hard fans who turn up, rain, hail or shine, buy their season tickets year after year, who get p*ssed off when the 'big' games are relocated.
2) A transitory group of fans, who will happily fork out for 'one-off' games, but won't turn up week-in, week out.

Let me ask you - which group of fans are more important to the long-term sustainability of all clubs (& therefore the game in general)?

As with the bunnies when they have games at the central coast.

When a team relocates games these people are automatically allocated tickets not the same but atleast they arent getting shafted all together.

gottabegood

Juniors
I would prefer if the game was moved as it would benefit the code.

I could understand the pre purchased ticket holders would be none to happy, along with Dragons fans giving up home advantage.

But something like this doesn't occur too often (two inform top of the table teams), so advantage should be taken.

Bigger Crowds
Take it to a big ground like Aussie, the ground would be near capacity with a good portion of Parra and neutral fans, which will be unlikely at Kogarah. (I'm also not too fond of games which have a massive one sided support).

New Supporters
The converted will fill up Kogarah (a good thing) but with such a big match at the bigger ground you might end up with a few new fans....long term bonus...especially kids at a big match.

Marketing
People across Australia/NZ will see a big stadium filled for a club game on TV (or listen via radio), which can only be a good thing. Including sponsors.

Makes it a bigger event
Just like the Anzac day match with the roosters and dragons who always come to play, the fact that the game is being put on an extra pedestal should have the teams even more fired up, hence a ripper of a game. Plus more people watching via TV and listening via Radio.

If they had some sought of rules on identifying a particular game, by Sunday night that can be earmarked to switch, and the old ground gets compensated....current ticket holders are taken care of......then why not.

Cheers

milchcow

Juniors
Telling everyone to prebuy their tickets won't change the fact that the demand for tickets to this game far outweighs the number available, so buying tickets early or not, people will miss out on this game that want to see it.

Sure there are a couple of thousands diehard Saints fans who love going to Kogarah, but there are thousands of fans who want to see this game live and won't be able to. I know I'd be there in a second if the game was at the SFS.

I know certain fans love Kogarah, but I don't see how it can benefit our game long term to continue playing big matches in a stadium that struggles to accommodate the average attendance for an NRL match.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Did anyone even consider the Red V members for Jubilee?

I'm sure it would cost a pretty penny to repay all those people who paid $60+ who want their money back for being ripped off