What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron Woods

Clifferd

Coach
He's kind of like the Greg Inglis of props

Only a bit above average at club level, but chuck an origin jersey on him and he's a different player

I can't really recall him having a bad game at origin level

mepelthwack

Juniors
Woods will turn out to be a great player but no doubt he was below par yesterday, he was hardly Robinson Crusoe though.

chrisD

Coach
He's like a lava lamp.

Perpetual jiggling motion, all up and around and through the line. He's a handful who takes more than two to tackle, threatens to offload most times and rolls meters after contact.
You could say that last part about not getting rolled and pushed back about Mannah too.
You can't say that about RCG who spends half the game on his back but comically people still rate the shit out of him. Woods isn't so bad to overate, there is at least something better than average there.

natheel

Coach
I wouldn't say woods is not upto rep standard, some of his games at origin level have been really good. There's no way he should be inked in as starting 10 before the series begins like he always is though.

The mannah comparison is fair enough, put it this way if a player swap between woods and mannah eventuated I think we'd be a bit worse off but I wouldn't be devastated either.
Yeh I know what you mean. Mannah puts in week in and out and wears blue and gold on his chest. Woods seems distant at the moment. Hopefully that changes for him and he gets that desire back

Tiger5150

Bench
He's like a lava lamp.

Perpetual jiggling motion, all up and around and through the line. He's a handful who takes more than two to tackle, threatens to offload most times and rolls meters after contact..

This is exact. I agree he isnt a great prop but I am very glad we have him. Always chews up massive metres, many of those metres after contact and is rarely put on his back. In fact he is rearely put to ground but I actually not sure if this is a good thing. Woods always seems to pinch 3-5m after contact and they dont get him to ground most times but the result is overall a slow PTB.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Slightly off on a tangent, but I keep hearing the term "the big 4" mentioned for the Tigers quartet of Teddy, Moses, Brooks and Woods.

Now Teddy is a future legend. He does amazing things at the Tigers so can you imagine him in a Storm jersey running off Cronk and Smith? Mother of Mercy! The opposition would open up like Paris Hilton in her prime.

But Moses? And Brooks?! f**k me, Brooks isn't even the Ringo Starr of a 'big 4'. Yoko Ono at best.

I said it in the gameday thread: Brooks has an ass like Andrew Johns; but rather than using it to drive into ball carriers when defending he offers it up as prison bait like he did to Junior Paulo yesterday.

beejay001

Juniors
I'd love to see a stat on "Hit ups on tackle one". I reckon Woods either takes kickoffs, or tackle 3.
You want your best front rower taking the tough runs on the 1st and 2nd to lay the platform for the set. This is what sets Matt Scott apart, he takes the hard runs, and then Lolo can take the 3rd, and we all know what happens then.
Anyway, Woods is a good Prop, but not a great one.
Tedesco should have been resigned last year, the fact he is still unsigned past 2017 is criminal.... EVERY single other player on their roster is replaceable.

Marlins

Juniors
Slightly off on a tangent, but I keep hearing the term "the big 4" mentioned for the Tigers quartet of Teddy, Moses, Brooks and Woods.

Now Teddy is a future legend. He does amazing things at the Tigers so can you imagine him in a Storm jersey running off Cronk and Smith? Mother of Mercy! The opposition would open up like Paris Hilton in her prime.

But Moses? And Brooks?! f**k me, Brooks isn't even the Ringo Starr of a 'big 4'. Yoko Ono at best.

I said it in the gameday thread: Brooks has an ass like Andrew Johns; but rather than using it to drive into ball carriers when defending he offers it up as prison bait like he did to Junior Paulo yesterday.
It would be great to see teddy in a storm or Broncos jersey hopefully the tigs can f**k up his contract

Spot On

Coach
He sure is spending a lot of time in the media these days. Radio and TV. I know he's the captain and that's part of the job but he seems to be putting in for the media and possibly not as much on the field??????

You're the guy who thinks Cordner and Pearce should be automatic selections right?

Say what you want about Woods but I would trust him to have a solid performance in origin over either Cordner or Pearce.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Who's he keeping out of the NSW side?
If Merrin plays lock then woods would keep out of one or two of Tamou, Fifita, James, Klemmer or Jake Trbo. There's also Boyd, Paulo, Vaughan in the mix. On their day anyone of those guys are as good or better then Woods. Unlike in queensland, where Scott is a certain starter because no Queenslander is better or NZ were no kiwi is better then Bromwich, Woods should have plenty of competition for his jumper

Who's he keeping out of the NSW side?
There's are a lot of good props running around atm, if woods was left out I'd have a frontrow rotation looking something like:

8. Shannon Boyd
10. Junior Paulo

14. David Klemmer
15. Andrew Fifita

Both Boyd and Paulo are really pushing for selection this year.

simmo05

Bench
There's are a lot of good props running around atm, if woods was left out I'd have a frontrow rotation looking something like:

8. Shannon Boyd
10. Junior Paulo

14. David Klemmer
15. Andrew Fifita

Both Boyd and Paulo are really pushing for selection this year.

Klemmer? Cmon thats a stretch. Can cop the others though