What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Clune

getsmarty

Immortal
Adam Clune eyes 2020 NRL debut at St George Illawarra Dragons
Latest News
r0_270_5063_3072_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

READY: Adam Clune attempts to get past a defender during a game for the Dragons' Canterbury Cup NSW team. Picture: Robb Cox/NRL Imagery
"My goal is to debut in 2020. That's why you train, that's why you play."

Albion Park-Oak Flats product Adam Clune has one clear goal after being elevated to the St George Illawarra Dragons' NRL development player squad.

The Dragons confirmed on Wednesday that Clune - as well as locals Shaun Sauni-Esau and Max and Mat Feagai - would be part of the 2020 squad. Jayden Sullivan and Hayden Lomax were already selected.

Clune trained part-time with the club in 2019 as he juggled work and university commitments. The 24-year-old, who plays in the halves, is an understudy to Corey Norman and Bent Hunt.

"Being full time, it increases your chances [of playing in the NRL]. My focus is just on training well, building relationships with my teammates and the coaching staff, and from there focusing on playing good footy week in, week out," Clune said.

"I primarily play six or seven. If there's an opportunity that comes up in the halves, I'll be looking to take it.

"You want to play in the top level so the focus is to come here, get fitter, faster and stronger, improve each day and learn from experienced people like Corey Norman and Ben Hunt, and the [club's] good coaching staff."

Clune said his elevation to the development player squad had been well supported by friends and family.

"I'm very lucky to have a great support network," he said.

"Sometimes it's a little bit embarrassing but I've very grateful to have that support.

"Like many players here, it motivates you and helps you train better."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...020-nrl-debut-at-st-george-illawarra-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
clune-hero.jpg

DRAGONS

How volunteering in Kenya helped prepare Clune for a shot at the NRL
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 30 Nov 2019, 02:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Rookie St George Illawarra playmaker Adam Clune believes an off-season stint volunteering in a remote African village has helped prepare him for his first year as a full-time NRL player.

Clune, who was the 2019 Canterbury Cup halfback of the year after helping the Dragons to the minor premiership, was offered a development contract with the club before travelling to Kenya in mid-October with his partner Bianca O'Neill.

The couple spent three weeks in the western Kenyan village of Yala, which is 42 kilometres from the country's third largest city Kisumu, with Bianca volunteering as a nurse for World Youth International and Clune performing a teacher's aide role.

"We had always wanted to volunteer and Bianca got the opportunity through her work, she saw a program in Kenya and I was able to go with her," Clune said. "It made it a bit easier going with someone I knew, especially going outside my comfort zone, which is something I want to get better at.

"It was a great experience and really different. The place we were in was quite remote, you don't see many cars on the road and people don't have much money.

clune_rc1_2940.jpg

Dragons playmaker Adam Clune. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
"The way they live was a real eye-opener. There would be a shop and they just build their house or their clay hut behind the shops. There are a lot of clay huts, they are about five-by-five [metres] with tin doors and six-to-10 people living in them."

Having completed a law and finance degree at University of Wollongong in July, Clune works part-time for the RLPA and the 24-year-old said he enjoyed teaching students at the school in Yala about Australia.

"It was after their exam time so it was a bit different than I thought it would be," he said. "We did an Australian education lesson where they asked questions and we played games.

"There is a great disparity between how we live and how they live in what is obviously a developing country and we donated a fair bit of stuff to the school.

"The people were very friendly – all the Kenyans we met – and that was one of my favourite things about the trip. Everyone would say 'hello, how are you', and because you don't have a car you have to walk everywhere and there are always a lot of people on the streets.

"It was awesome to spend some time over there, it was a great experience and something I will never forget so I am really thankful for the opportunity. It was really eye-opening."

After arriving back home on November 9, Clune reported for the start of pre-season training at WIN Stadium less than 36 hours later and is now focused on making his NRL debut.

Five key matchups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

An Albion Park junior, he has been in the Dragons system since 2015 and last season produced 28 try assists in 22 Canterbury Cup appearances.

"The last few years I have been part-time and combined footy with work and uni, which is great because I have been able to keep my mind busy but to be able to just focus on footy and make that my priority is a great opportunity," Clune said.

"If there is an opportunity that comes up in the halves I will be looking take it and my goal is to debut in 2020. That's why you train, that's why you play.

"My focus is to get fitter, faster, stronger and improve each day. There are a lot of experienced players here – especially in the halves, with Corey Norman and Ben Hunt – and I will be looking to learn as much as I can off them and the coaching staff."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...a-helped-prepare-clune-for-a-shot-at-the-nrl/

blacksafake

First Grade
clune-hero.jpg

DRAGONS

How volunteering in Kenya helped prepare Clune for a shot at the NRL
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 30 Nov 2019, 02:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Rookie St George Illawarra playmaker Adam Clune believes an off-season stint volunteering in a remote African village has helped prepare him for his first year as a full-time NRL player.

Clune, who was the 2019 Canterbury Cup halfback of the year after helping the Dragons to the minor premiership, was offered a development contract with the club before travelling to Kenya in mid-October with his partner Bianca O'Neill.

The couple spent three weeks in the western Kenyan village of Yala, which is 42 kilometres from the country's third largest city Kisumu, with Bianca volunteering as a nurse for World Youth International and Clune performing a teacher's aide role.

"We had always wanted to volunteer and Bianca got the opportunity through her work, she saw a program in Kenya and I was able to go with her," Clune said. "It made it a bit easier going with someone I knew, especially going outside my comfort zone, which is something I want to get better at.

"It was a great experience and really different. The place we were in was quite remote, you don't see many cars on the road and people don't have much money.

clune_rc1_2940.jpg

Dragons playmaker Adam Clune. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
"The way they live was a real eye-opener. There would be a shop and they just build their house or their clay hut behind the shops. There are a lot of clay huts, they are about five-by-five [metres] with tin doors and six-to-10 people living in them."

Having completed a law and finance degree at University of Wollongong in July, Clune works part-time for the RLPA and the 24-year-old said he enjoyed teaching students at the school in Yala about Australia.

"It was after their exam time so it was a bit different than I thought it would be," he said. "We did an Australian education lesson where they asked questions and we played games.

"There is a great disparity between how we live and how they live in what is obviously a developing country and we donated a fair bit of stuff to the school.

"The people were very friendly – all the Kenyans we met – and that was one of my favourite things about the trip. Everyone would say 'hello, how are you', and because you don't have a car you have to walk everywhere and there are always a lot of people on the streets.

"It was awesome to spend some time over there, it was a great experience and something I will never forget so I am really thankful for the opportunity. It was really eye-opening."

After arriving back home on November 9, Clune reported for the start of pre-season training at WIN Stadium less than 36 hours later and is now focused on making his NRL debut.

Five key matchups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

An Albion Park junior, he has been in the Dragons system since 2015 and last season produced 28 try assists in 22 Canterbury Cup appearances.

"The last few years I have been part-time and combined footy with work and uni, which is great because I have been able to keep my mind busy but to be able to just focus on footy and make that my priority is a great opportunity," Clune said.

"If there is an opportunity that comes up in the halves I will be looking take it and my goal is to debut in 2020. That's why you train, that's why you play.

"My focus is to get fitter, faster, stronger and improve each day. There are a lot of experienced players here – especially in the halves, with Corey Norman and Ben Hunt – and I will be looking to learn as much as I can off them and the coaching staff."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...a-helped-prepare-clune-for-a-shot-at-the-nrl/
Good on him & his partner, seems like a good guy.

giboz71

First Grade
Always impresses me when a footballer can combine a uni degree with a professional sporting career. Cameron Murray is another one, Ben Creagh as well.

These guys definitely don’t fit the mould of too much time and money on their hands. They are actually productive with their spare time.

I’ve watched young Clune quite closely and he plays smart, whilst not necessarily being blessed with natural ability. Doesn’t surprise me he has a good head on his shoulders.

Makes all the dopes getting in trouble in Bali and elsewhere look even more stupid.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Adam has been killing this year in CC.
Another good game on the weekend.
That was a very impressive highlights reel there. Clune has great vision. He has a very good short and long passing game and very good short kicking game. He also is very adept at going to the line and committing defenders and then putting a runner through a hole. He may be a very good prospect. I have previously read that he wanted to concentrate on getting his law degree (I think it was a law degree).

He also looks to have come along at the wrong time, with us currently having Hunt and Norman as our halves and having Sullivan, coming through the ranks.

Last edited:

nontime111

Juniors
I've been singing his praises for a couple of seasons- however, I"ve been told that he has a career in Law and can't find the time for the NRL. A great shame.
better running game than HUNT or NORMAN anyday, partner him with one of them at least and get rid of the other

giboz71

First Grade
The only issue I see with Adam having a FG career is his size (much like Dufty, Field etc).

He's only listed at 80kg and will get targeted mercilessly in defence. We only have to remember what happened to Nichols in his debut against the Storm.

A good coach might be able to implement structures to protect him (like Bennett did with Sowie), but we don't have such a coach.

BLM01

First Grade
The only issue I see with Adam having a FG career is his size (much like Dufty, Field etc).

He's only listed at 80kg and will get targeted mercilessly in defence. We only have to remember what happened to Nichols in his debut against the Storm.

A good coach might be able to implement structures to protect him (like Bennett did with Sowie), but we don't have such a coach.
Yeh it is hard to be excited about a player (as much as hold my hat off who ever gets a chance to wear the jersey) who at his age has not been snapped up or elevated to 1st grade by now.
Just like Nicholls if Clune was good enough he would of been knocking on the door earlier here or elsewhere regardless off his desire to be part time originally.
Hope he proves me wrong if he gets a chance to fill in.

denis preston

First Grade
Clune is an articilate and educated half. Not many out there and he can read the play better than most.

When push comes to shove why study that long and have potentially a 200k a year job for the REST of his working life to play NRL at 120k and risk brain damage.? I think he knows this and is just lifting his profile ( to help his contacts for his profession ) and dream of playing NRL even if it is only a couple of games. Cant see him risking it all and go 100% in defense considering what lays ahead in his career.It;s a hell of a fall back position !

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yeh it is hard to be excited about a player (as much as hold my hat off who ever gets a chance to wear the jersey) who at his age has not been snapped up or elevated to 1st grade by now.
Just like Nicholls if Clune was good enough he would of been knocking on the door earlier here or elsewhere regardless off his desire to be part time originally.
Hope he proves me wrong if he gets a chance to fill in.
I would tend to agree with you that if a player hasn't made it by 24, they probably never will. In saying that I also believe that there are many players who for one reason or another could have made it, but didn't whether that be injuries, having others ahead of them who have cemented their spots, work, study, chasing women and partying instead of focusing on footy. Cody Walker is another who comes to mind. I thought if he hadn't made it by 25 he never would, but when he finally got the chance, he proved he was up to NRL.

Latest posts