What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Cuthbertson signs on for 3 years

Perth Knights

Juniors
Official - Con MIka signs with Hull KR for 2 years.

The Robins have continued their recruitment ahead of the new season by capturing Con Mika on a two-year contract.

The Auckland-born back rower has spent the past three seasons at the Newcastle Knights where he worked with new Rovers’ Head Coach, Craig Sandercock.

Standing at over 6 feet tall and weighing in at sixteen and a half stone, Mika has a reputation of being an aggressive carrier of the ball and a big hitter in defence.

At just 22-years-old he has his best years ahead of him and that was one of the big attractions for Sandercock, who is delighted to have agreed the deal.

“Con played for the junior Kiwis and made his debut for the Newcastle Knights as a 19-year-old,” he said.

“He is still only 22-years-old and has his best footy in front of him. Although he is a back rower, he is a very skilful player and when you get tackled by him you certainly know about it. I’m sure the Rovers supporters will really appreciate what Con will bring to our team going forward.”

Alongside fellow new team-mates Ryan O’Hara, Mickey Paea, Graeme Horne, Keal Carlile and Lincoln Withers, Mika will bring a new dimension to the Robins’ pack in 2012.

aqua_duck

Coach
It was only a few days ago Stone was saying we want Laurie but the salary cap needs to be worked out first. Negotiations are ongoing but the big tip is he'll sign soon.

From what I've heard it's just a case of crossing the T's and dotting the I's in terms of negotiations

Whats Doing

Bench
It was reported that Cuthbo was our 25th signing which if correct and we sign Laurie, he will be on our 2nd tier system.

Seage

Juniors
Among all the hoopla over Cuthbertson, does anyone else not see an issue in signing a bloke for 3 years who we all seem to agree will be a bench player?

Good enough for a long term deal but not good enough for a start. Odd IMO. And i suspect he won't be getting $8 an hour and two popsicles out of the freezer for the full three years. Maybe the first one, but i suspect a damn sight more coin over the last two.

God-King Dean

Immortal
He'll be wroth it IMO, under Bennett.

I wasn't too disappointed to see him leave Saints, as I fear he'll turn into a rolly polly again without the motivation.

Seage

Juniors
I feel like Bennett could achieve that with anyone. Why move heaven and earth to get Cuthbertson, of all people?

Despite that he still has Ciraldo covered, so we should all be thankful for that.

aqua_duck

Coach
Among all the hoopla over Cuthbertson, does anyone else not see an issue in signing a bloke for 3 years who we all seem to agree will be a bench player?

Good enough for a long term deal but not good enough for a start. Odd IMO. And i suspect he won't be getting $8 an hour and two popsicles out of the freezer for the full three years. Maybe the first one, but i suspect a damn sight more coin over the last two.

I don't see the problem, these days it's more than a 13 man game, it's unquestionably a 17 man game. Look at Tony Williams for example, he's a perennial benchie who's now playing for Australia. I mean Feleti Mateo is on about $350k a year and was one of the warrior's best this year despite playing off the bench at times. Cuthbertson is a good signing because we haven't got someone with his skillset, plus another off season under Bennett and Jeremy Hickmans and who knows how much better he can be

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yep, I think putting the emphasis on "starting" is a pretty old school way of thinking given the nature of the modern game. With the limited interchange rule coming in and moreso when it was reduced to 10, bench forwards have become just as important to a side as their 1-13 counter parts.

Rolla

Juniors
So should we limit Faas and Hilder to one year deals? cos they are bench players after all.

Yosh

Coach
I would extend that to the whole 25 players in the first tier. We will have our fair share of injuries and with squad rotation, rep games and more, it doesn't matter if you're on the bench, starting or reserves because they are all valuable members of the squad.