What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Quinlan keen to keep No 7 with Dragons

Witt back at half.

Dragons: 1. Josh Dugan, 2. Brett Morris, 3. Dylan Farrell, 4. Gerard Beale, 5. Jason Nightingale, 6. Gareth Widdop, 7. Michael Witt, 8. Jack Stockwell, 9. Mitch Rein, 10. Dan Hun, 11. Joel Thompson, 12. Ben Creagh (c), 13. Trent Merrin, 14. Bronson Harrison 15. Kyle Stanley, 16. Mike Cooper, 17 Leeson Ah Mau, 18. Adam Quinlan, 20. Josh Ailaomai

getsmarty

Immortal
Witt back at half.

Dragons: 1. Josh Dugan, 2. Brett Morris, 3. Dylan Farrell, 4. Gerard Beale, 5. Jason Nightingale, 6. Gareth Widdop, 7. Michael Witt, 8. Jack Stockwell, 9. Mitch Rein, 10. Dan Hun, 11. Joel Thompson, 12. Ben Creagh (c), 13. Trent Merrin, 14. Bronson Harrison 15. Kyle Stanley, 16. Mike Cooper, 17 Leeson Ah Mau, 18. Adam Quinlan, 20. Josh Ailaomai
Good....how on earth does Stanley keep his spot..Adds ZERO.

Dezziedc

Juniors
Witt back at half.

Wasn't Witt named at half last week and a day or so before hand Quinlan was named?

If Witt does play at half, it will be good to see how he performs against a better team - although they haven't been performing of late it will definitely fire them up.

Maximus

Coach
Agree totally Jenn, we can't expect a miricle if we don't lay the foundations. We had Widdop, Dugan, Morris etc in the team and people want to blame Quinlan?

See and here is the problem with you and TheRev and others. You are reading what you want to read.

Nobody is blaming Quinlan for the loss. What people are saying is that he did nothing to help us win. If he was trying and it just wasn't working, there wouldn't be such criticism of him, but he wasn't. He went missing, and barely touched the ball. Dugan and Rein (neither of which are known for their kicking games) had to kick the ball out of our own end to relieve some pressure on Widdop because Quinlan just doesn't have a kicking game.

An actual halfback would have realised Widdop wasn't having a great game and would have taken some control and got their hands on the ball. Souths only had to focus on shutting down Widdop as Quinlan wasn't a threat to them.

[*]As has been mentioned previously, apparently the stats indicate that Quinlan has played better than Williams in the first 4 games - so why not drop him in and see how goes?
[/LIST]

What stats? According to nrlstats

Williams has more try assists, more line breaks and equal line break assists. Stuff like metres and tackles can't really be compared because of the completely different positions.

Also, some of you guys complain about Williams' errors, Quinlan had 7 errors in the first 3 games. Williams had 4 in his 3 games.

The difference between Williams and Quinlan is I think Quinlan goes looking for the ball and his backup and support is second to none.

Going looking for the ball is the last thing you could say about Quinlan. 18 touches at halfback. That's it.

Again with nrlstats, but according to the receives stat, in his 5 games Quinlan has touched the ball (21, 22, 23, 31 & 18) 115 times. In his 3 games Williams touched it (38, 40 & 37) 115 times. But yes you are right, the difference is that Quinlan goes looking for the ball and Williams doesn't.

Dezziedc

Juniors
See and here is the problem with you and TheRev and others. You are reading what you want to read.

Nobody is blaming Quinlan for the loss. What people are saying is that he did nothing to help us win. If he was trying and it just wasn't working, there wouldn't be such criticism of him, but he wasn't. He went missing, and barely touched the ball. Dugan and Rein (neither of which are known for their kicking games) had to kick the ball out of our own end to relieve some pressure on Widdop because Quinlan just doesn't have a kicking game.

An actual halfback would have realised Widdop wasn't having a great game and would have taken some control and got their hands on the ball. Souths only had to focus on shutting down Widdop as Quinlan wasn't a threat to them.

Fair call (although I wasn't suggesting anyone was blaming Quinlan). Being his first game in the halves and against the Rabbits you could forgive him for going missing - it was a tough gig first up. We'll never know but I doubt Williams or Witt could have added anything in that game either given the situation.

What stats? According to nrlstats

Williams has more try assists, more line breaks and equal line break assists. Stuff like metres and tackles can't really be compared because of the completely different positions.

Also, some of you guys complain about Williams' errors, Quinlan had 7 errors in the first 3 games. Williams had 4 in his 3 games.

I said apparently because I was basing it off of someone else's comments. I stand corrected on this as I made a wrongful assumption that someone else had done the hard work for me. Having said that, in the next sentence you are comparing stats that can't really be compared either for the same reasons.

Going looking for the ball is the last thing you could say about Quinlan. 18 touches at halfback. That's it.

Again with nrlstats, but according to the receives stat, in his 5 games Quinlan has touched the ball (21, 22, 23, 31 & 18) 115 times. In his 3 games Williams touched it (38, 40 & 37) 115 times. But yes you are right, the difference is that Quinlan goes looking for the ball and Williams doesn't.
I disagree with this one. Given his position you would expect Williams to handle the ball more often as first/second receiver. You can't compare the earlier games against Quinlan as different positions and game play (set plays, game plan etc) as well as possession means different opportunities. Same with the last game - equivalent weekend for example Hoffman at 5/8 handled the ball 20 times, Josh Reynolds 24 times in a winning team. Rein had 80 touches but you can't compare that because he is first to receive the ball a majority of the time. There's a lot of factors that go into how often a player handles the ball. I was more referring to his support and backup of players (which I haven't noticed Williams doing) - and there wasn't a lot of opportunity to do that against the Rabbits

Irrespective, it may all be mute now. Witt may take the position this week.

Last edited:

ggould

Juniors
Quinlan is a 9!!! No doubt has speed to burn!!! Speed out of dummy get defences on back foot especially bigger forwards at back end of the game!!! I can see an Issac Luke in him!!!

Minh

First Grade
Good....how on earth does Stanley keep his spot..Adds ZERO.

The thing that kills Price is that he shows too much blind faith in players. At the moment Stanley is no hooker and Hunt is no t a hardened prop forward. Both these guys need time in the Cutters to rebuild confidence or to prove themselves once again.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Quinlan's error count and handling the ball stats can't be compared with Williams because he was playing fullback, subject to kick bombardment and not playing a pivotal role in 4 out of 5 games.

Williams IMO has real potential as a half however because all he needs to do is remain focussed for the entire 80 minutes and he won't make the fundamental errors that he does when he drifts off.

It could be argued that he does need more game time.
Witt is solid in defence and was impressive until injured
Quinlan will need to show more to earn the half role.

I reckon Q as a backup for Rein is worth trying and agree with most that Kyle should not be used again in this role.

jenninga

First Grade
The thing that kills Price is that he shows too much blind faith in players. At the moment Stanley is no hooker and Hunt is no t a hardened prop forward. Both these guys need time in the Cutters to rebuild confidence or to prove themselves once again.

Reckon it's Price's loyalty to juniors ,which is fine ,but in Stanley and Hunts case it's clouding judgment.
It's why we need a coach from outside the club .We have a reasonable squad,just need a couple of additions in the forwards to make us a top 6 team at least.

Minh

First Grade
Reckon it's Price's loyalty to juniors ,which is fine ,but in Stanley and Hunts case it's clouding judgment.
It's why we need a coach from outside the club .We have a reasonable squad,just need a couple of additions in the forwards to make us a top 6 team at least.

Exactly, he needs to make the tough calls and not treat the players like they are his own kids.

dwight12

Juniors
There's an article on Kyle Stanley talking about wanting more game time on the league live app. I think this hooker off of the bench situation would have him pretty frustrated. I think 2 weeks in the cutters at 7 and assess. If he can play up to the potential (which we all hope he does) then give him the shot at first grade in the 7 jersey.

Twenty10

Juniors
We don't need him on the bench. Given our issues in the forwards we need groat on the bench (or another forward) and rein to play 80 mins. Best scario we have right now

He looked even more so then he sounded its not a good sign when a player is questioning team selections to a certain extent but can you blame him not at all.

Price is doing the samething he has done for the last 2 years making poor choices previously he had limited options this time around he does have a bit more to choose from yet still presists with manufacturing options.

Mr Red

First Grade
Article title could simply have been " quinlan admits... I will play any position in order to stay in first grade"

gonz

Juniors
He looked even more so then he sounded its not a good sign when a player is questioning team selections to a certain extent but can you blame him not at all.

Price is doing the samething he has done for the last 2 years making poor choices previously he had limited options this time around he does have a bit more to choose from yet still presists with manufacturing options.

Keep saying watch out pre game and half time talks, then watch the oppositions.

Words apart zero respect

Latest posts