What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advertising all this betting over and over...............................

Saint 60

Juniors
The kids are the ones i think about...Rabs and the like pushing gambling as much as the sponsers want..they are not thinking bout the sport..just sponsers. may as well advertise cigs they pay well also..
and really unless you have a bet who tf gives a sh*te about the prices...

ClintDogg

Juniors
I find myself every game, about half way thru going, "this is bullsh*t, they r going on with this loser betting crap too much that means nothing to me and the game Im watching", so I turn it off and do something else instead.

Betting is for losers.

eaglerock

Juniors
i enjoy a punt from time to time and the fact that it gets advertised to me all the time doesnt encourage me to have a bet. the NRL would make a large profit from gaming advertising, thus is why they would have it in their contract for the amount of advertising that is shown or spoken. you should also notice that some of the advertising money would go towards charities that are set out by the NRL.

Gaming and Racing plays a huge part in the total amount of revenue that cluba make and it is very much a nescesaty to our game. AS is any sponsor.

TABCORP - the number one sponsor of sport in this country had a 13.5% drop in profits within the last year but had an increase in advertising spend.

brendo

Juniors
complain bout this as much as you want but it is no diffetrent to a tipping comp and im sure 99% are in one of them

innsaneink

Referee
Dunno if its only new but I first noticed this last week at Leichhardt they were stating the odds at the ground over the PA...first time ive noticed it at games.

eaglerock

Juniors
Dunno if its only new but I first noticed this last week at Leichhardt they were stating the odds at the ground over the PA...first time ive noticed it at games.

thats pressure, from memory no betting company fully sponsors a team or pays the rights to be #1 or #2 sponsor...

For the broadcaster's commentators to be doing live advertising reads during matches is an embarrassment to the NRL.

It's cringe worthy, as are many aspects of channel 9's coverage of Rugby League.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Don't just think of it as betting. Think of it as one of the more accurate guides to the chances of either team winning the game. Much more credible than anything Ryan or Gould have to say.

juro

Bench
Constant advertising (for whatever product) is the reason I don't listen to commercial radio for the call of the game.

Lycon79

Juniors
Clintdawgg is just bitter about the whole gambling industry. This stems from the fact that the pokies draw larger crowds than his shambolic "DJ" sets at the pubs and taverns that let him play there.
This :lol:

There would be a riot if that happened at Suncorp...

Besides 6 bourbons is the perfect amount for a game of footy.

You'll find they are actually only half nips IIRC

Canard

Immortal
complain bout this as much as you want but it is no diffetrent to a tipping comp and im sure 99% are in one of them

Don't know too many people who end up divorced, in jail or living on the street after losing the office tipping comp though.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
i enjoy a punt from time to time and the fact that it gets advertised to me all the time doesnt encourage me to have a bet. the NRL would make a large profit from gaming advertising, thus is why they would have it in their contract for the amount of advertising that is shown or spoken. you should also notice that some of the advertising money would go towards charities that are set out by the NRL.

Gaming and Racing plays a huge part in the total amount of revenue that cluba make and it is very much a nescesaty to our game. AS is any sponsor.

TABCORP - the number one sponsor of sport in this country had a 13.5% drop in profits within the last year but had an increase in advertising spend.

Advertising "hard" liquor during sporting events was banned years ago, as was cigarettes. I'd put gambling up there with just as much a social and health hazard as either of those. The commentators ram it down our throats at least 15 times in a game. All these odds probably won't affect the vast majority of people, but I have no doubt that it does with someone who has a serious addiction. You can't escape it now, it's like watching the greyhounds.

Irrespective of all of that, kids are growing up being told that gambling is systemic in our culture, so it's ok. There are very few sports in the world that advertise gambling like the NRL does. You don't see too many NBA, NFL, EPL, NFL, MLB games advertising sporting odds every 5 minutes.

I understand that this brings in money to the game, but IMO it's tarnishing the NRL brand and the vast majority of funds raised from that advertising goes to the networks, not the NRL.

Gambling can completely and utterly destroy peoples lives and the NRL by advertising these odds repeatedly are seen to be supporting that. I've had many casual followers of the game say they can't stand the broadcasts because of all the gambling advertising. It's hardly a healthy image for a game that wants to attract children to it and broaden it's appeal to the general public.

Last edited:

Paulie Jay

Juniors
The great shame is that Rabs and Gould and Co are creating a permanent historical record of each game that they are calling. Whether it is advertising gambling or engaging in stupid "arguments" over irrelevant issues, they need to realise that in 30 years time people will be looking at these games and scratching their heads at such an unprofessional broadcast.

A lot of us like to sit down and watch old grand finals. Of course, sponsor's names were always mentioned, but when you watch the 1981 grand final (for instance) you don't have to put up with the commentators bitching with each other and constantly flogging TV shows. I think if Rabs thought about this for a moment it might strike home. He would be embarrased.

Latest posts