What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL 2006 - Round 6

CyberKev

Staff member
camsmith said:
Come on Kev.. Judd is only getting better. If he isn't a superstar yet.. he will be in a couple of years once he has one another brownlow medal.

(...like Deledio ;-) )

He's not getting any better because he's not improving his disposal or working to make himself a two-way player.

He's a very good player who has been pumped-up into a manufactured superstar by the media. He gets so softly marked compared to other topline players in the comp its embarrassing.

Much of this was due to Leigh Matthews cunning a few years back when he declared Judd a $500,000 youngster after he became player number (larger than you think) to kick 5 goals in a half (he hasn't kicked 5 goals in an entire game since). Fabulous stuff by Lethal, knowing he could never get hold of him, so why not pump up his tyres and ensure that extra salary cap heat was applied to West Coast. The media has been uncritically swooning ever since, and the media is indeed the opiate of the masses.

Imagine making that goal last year 'goal of the year'. Had anyone else kicked it, the commentators would have said "yeah, very nice goal" and nothing more would have come of it.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Imagine making that goal last year 'goal of the year'. Had anyone else kicked it, the commentators would have said "yeah, very nice goal" and nothing more would have come of it.

Isn't goal of the year voted by the public during GF week?

meltiger

First Grade
You should let the media pump him up btw ... the longer they do it, the longer the best player taken in that draft stays cheaper to his club ;-)

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Isn't goal of the year voted by the public during GF week?

Is it?

Well, that just further reinforces my point that too many tragics are slaves to the media hype.

meltiger

First Grade
Well it used to be a part of the GF day coverage on Seven.

Not sure if that changed when the game moved stations.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Cyber we know you don't like Judd. However, he'd be the first one picked at most AFL sides probally all of them. He is a freak. Take his game last week and the one before. That is why he is the best player in the game bar none. There are players that are on par like Hodge, Riccuito, Buckley (on occasions), Kerr,etc. But none have as many skills as Judd has. He has a freakish ability to go through traffic. Judd is the best player in the game.

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Cyber we know you don't like Judd.

I don't dislike him, nor do I not think he is a top footballer, I just maintain that he is the most overrated player in VFL/AFL history.

lockyno1 said:
However, he'd be the first one picked at most AFL sides probally all of them.

Not likely.

lockyno1 said:
He is a freak. Take his game last week and the one before. That is why he is the best player in the game bar none.

Rubbish. There are a number of footballers who are more damaging on their days and a number who are more consistent.

lockyno1 said:
There are players that are on par like Hodge, Riccuito, Buckley (on occasions), Kerr,etc. But none have as many skills as Judd has.

All of them have more skills, all of them have better smarts, all of them are two-way players and all of them have greater on-field diversity.

None of them have the same level of media backing hyping their good games into the stratosphere. That's the difference.

lockyno1 said:
He has a freakish ability to go through traffic. Judd is the best player in the game.

That is one skill and one skill only. That makes him a one-trick pony, and while the trick may be very good, it means he falls short of being the best player currently at West Coast, much less the best player of a generation.

lockyno1

Post Whore
How is Judd a one-trick pony? He can dodge traffic, kick important goals and can tackle quite well as well. Yes his disposals need work sometimes but that is to be expected- he is only 23! His disposals have improved heaps this year, watch his game 2 weeks ago. He is gunning for a second brownlow the way its going. Not saying I have money on him. I took Lenny Heyes at $51 for the brownlow as a value bet.

stevo

Juniors
Judd is great but West Coast have had better. Peter Matera, Glen Jakovich and Ben Cousins for starters. As for Juddy being the best player going around today i'm not too sure of that either and this is coming from a Eagles fan.

CyberKev

Staff member
camsmith said:
Peter Matera better than Judd???

Now we're just getting rediciulous.

I think Judd is more consistently good and gets more of the ball than Matera did, but Matera's best in the past has still been better than Judd's to this point, predominantly because Matera was a good user of the football.

At this point, Judd would be the third best player at West Coast behind Dean "Big" Cox and Ben "Running Man" Cousins; so talk of him being the best player in history is more than just a tad over the top.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Best player ever? :lol: Oh dear.

I'd be more worried about marking Pav than Juddy, and you know what I think of him lol

Haha. Judd is the Michael Jordan of the AFL.

Deledio is the LeBron James...

Adam Goodes is surely the Shaquille O'Neill

Travis Johnston is the Magic Johnson, Dean Cox is the Larry Bird, and
Anthony Rocca is the (Ice) Kareem Abdul (Poo) Jabar!

(You may need to look the last one up in your Funk n Wagnalls if
you're under the age of 35)

The hyperbole on BF gets more surreal with each new day. Just when you think that they can't raise the Judd plateau any higher with absurd platitudes, the denizons still find a way to up the ante.

I do believe that the natural extension of the above has to be realised by the annointment of Judd as the next King of Jordan (assuming he already doesn't fulfill those duties) :lol:

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
I think Judd is more consistently good and gets more of the ball than Matera did, but Matera's best in the past has still been better than Judd's to this point, predominantly because Matera was a good user of the football.

At this point, Judd would be the third best player at West Coast behind Dean "Big" Cox and Ben "Running Man" Cousins; so talk of him being the best player in history is more than just a tad over the top.

Cyber now you are just getting silly! 3rd best! WTF are you smoking! I can accept Cox but not Cousins. Cousins is behind Kerr and Judd as the no3 in the midfield the way I look at it. As for Matera's best being better than Judd, I am gathering you did not watch his game 2 weeks ago! Becuase that game s..ts on Materas efforts alone!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Cyber now you are just getting silly! 3rd best! WTF are you smoking! I can accept Cox but not Cousins. Cousins is behind Kerr and Judd as the no3 in the midfield the way I look at it. As for Matera's best being better than Judd, I am gathering you did not watch his game 2 weeks ago! Becuase that game s..ts on Materas efforts alone!

Cousins is better than both Judd and Kerr.

And if we're going on 1 game performances, Judd's effort (again in the comforting surrounds of Subi and against a weak and struggling opponent) wasn't a patch on Matera's 1992 GF effort.

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
Cousins is better than both Judd and Kerr.

And if we're going on 1 game performances, Judd's effort (again in the comforting surrounds of Subi and against a weak and struggling opponent) wasn't a patch on Matera's 1992 GF effort.

See that is where I know you just plain out HATE Judd! I was using that as a example! If you are telling me a forward is better than a midfilder then get a clue, seriously! Midfielders win games simple as that. And Judd is right up there with the very best. Cousins isn't nearly as consistent as you think. Kerr has been down on form and still averages mid 20's in terms of disposals. Judd would be above him in my books though.

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
See that is where I know you just plain out HATE Judd! I was using that as a example! If you are telling me a forward is better than a midfilder then get a clue, seriously!

???????

Peter Matera was an outside midfielder not a forward! I do hope you're not thinking of Phil Matera?! Maybe you're thinking about Peter Cetera, who also was not a forward, but as an eighties band lead singer I'm sure he kicked a few goals with the ladies.

lockyno1 said:
Midfielders win games simple as that.

Utter bollocks! midfielders put you into contests, but forwards will always win (or lose) games for you. As clearly displayed on the weekend, when the midfields largely broke even, but Thompson kicked 8 for the Kangaroos, while Williams only kicked 2 for Hawthorn.

lockyno1 said:
And Judd is right up there with the very best. Cousins isn't nearly as consistent as you think. Kerr has been down on form and still averages mid 20's in terms of disposals. Judd would be above him in my books though.

I'm not saying he's not one of the better mids going around, I'm simply stating he's not the best at West Coast, much less the competition, thus decrying this nonsense about him being the best player in the comp. And that's even without bringking the more damaging tall players into the argument.

Cousins averaged 26 possessions a game in 2005 and has average 22 a game across his career. Pretty consistent, methinks.

Kerr averaged 21 possessions a game across 2005 and has averaged 19 a game across his career.

Judd averaged 22 possessions a game across 2005 and has average about 20 possessions a game across his career.

Both Cousins and Kerr use the ball a lot better than Judd, so maybe I should be dropping Judd back to the number 4 player at West Coast. :lol:

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
???????

Peter Matera was an outside midfielder not a forward! I do hope you're not thinking of Phil Matera?! Maybe you're thinking about Peter Cetera, who also was not a forward, but as an eighties band lead singer I'm sure he kicked a few goals with the ladies.

Utter bollocks! midfielders put you into contests, but forwards will always win (or lose) games for you. As clearly displayed on the weekend, when the midfields largely broke even, but Thompson kicked 8 for the Kangaroos, while Williams only kicked 2 for Hawthorn.

I'm not saying he's not one of the better mids going around, I'm simply stating he's not the best at West Coast, much less the competition, thus decrying this nonsense about him being the best player in the comp. And that's even without bringking the more damaging tall players into the argument.

Cousins averaged 26 possessions a game in 2005 and has average 22 a game across his career. Pretty consistent, methinks.

Kerr averaged 21 possessions a game across 2005 and has averaged 19 a game across his career.

Judd averaged 22 possessions a game across 2005 and has average about 20 possessions a game across his career.

Both Cousins and Kerr use the ball a lot better than Judd, so maybe I should be dropping Judd back to the number 4 player at West Coast. :lol:

Sorry about Peter, I though you guys meant Phil and I mis-read it. He still is not better than Juddy though! Juddy is the best at WC and its debatable who is 2nd. I'd take kerr over Cousins but thats a personal preference. Judd and Cuz avg 22 disposals this year! Blows your theory that Judd is 4th best at WC out when he is the no1 average at the club! A great midfiles makes a bunch of crap forwards look good! Take WC for example- one of the worst forwad lines in history and is made look extremely good by the awesome midfield. I'd take a great midfielder over a forwad any day of the week. Key position foward CHF/CHB are important but the ball aint getting there withought good midfield service!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
I'd take a great midfielder over a forwad any day of the week. Key position foward CHF/CHB are important but the ball aint getting there withought good midfield service!

You'd take a Judd over a Wayne Carey?!

I think I should be organising a cyber-intervention to help you get over your Judd infatuation, Lockmeister.