What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL attempt to take gloss off origin - has it worked?

just 4 nights ago we all united and watched the greatest RL you can see.

the game got the highest ratings its ever had, indeed those ratings were as high as the AFL GF last year.

we get to look forward to 2 more of these blockbusters.

AFL as a sport has admitted they are jealous of the concept and what it gives to RL.

i think theyve just copied RU and sought to brought out stories in the week of origin which make AFL look good and RL bad.

clearly they leaked the news they were buying Telstra stadium and now theyve gotten channel 9 to run their party line.

i remember john oneill used to do the same thing every year around origin time signing one of our players.

its a shame other sports need to try and take away the limelight from RL. clearly though since they cant match it with on the field product, they need to lie or cheat to get the same result.

bring on game 2 i say

HevyDevy

Coach
No it hasn't.

It's been a season of awful, awful football but Origin was a classic Origin game - the best game of the year so far.

Cheezel

Juniors
Nope.....Their are still two game to go and people will only remember the last game. The QLD game is a sellout and is going to look great on TV. Game 3 should get close to a sellout if it ends up being the decider!

Everybody one this forum should get ya mates together and get to game 3. Lets show these AFL cheese squeezers that their march into Western Sydney is going to have more road blocks then Gaza Strip

yakstorm

First Grade
Awful football? Thats a bit harsh, sure some of the games have been average, but already there has been some excellent football this year, and the quality is definitely up on last year at least.

Teams like the Titans, Wests Tigers, Broncos and Newcastle have been quite enjoyable to watch this year.

Anyway onto the Origin talk, regardless of what the AFL tries to do to take the focus off the game, the fact is people will remember the result of Game 1 at least for the rest of the Origin period, they wont remember the AFL trying to buy ANZ Stadium come Game 2 let alone Game 3.

Father Jack

Juniors
Of course the AFL would like an Origin-type game, but there is absolutely no way we'd stand for having our players miss club games for it, and there doesn't seem to be any way to combine the players into two teams that mean anything. Having said that, if a 60 mins story and some Homebush twaddle is the best the AFL could come up with, they would probably have been better off not bothering.

Awful football? Thats a bit harsh, sure some of the games have been average, but already there has been some excellent football this year, and the quality is definitely up on last year at least.

Teams like the Titans, Wests Tigers, Broncos and Newcastle have been quite enjoyable to watch this year.

Anyway onto the Origin talk, regardless of what the AFL tries to do to take the focus off the game, the fact is people will remember the result of Game 1 at least for the rest of the Origin period, they wont remember the AFL trying to buy ANZ Stadium come Game 2 let alone Game 3.

exactly.

the standard this year has been heaps better than last year.

the game on friday and todays game at leichhardt were excellent.

leichhardt looked a picture today with 17,000 crammed in there and it was a good game too.

HevyDevy

Coach
Of course there have been some good games - that's inevitable - the same as in a great year there will be some shockers.

But in general, very poor. Oh and close doesn't mean good by the way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Where are the RL champions in the media shouting about how good SOO was? Why do so called RL writers talk down the game? You don't see AFL or RU writers belittling their sport. Why do RL writers put so much negative spin on a sport they are supposed to love?

Where are the RL champions in the media shouting about how good SOO was? Why do so called RL writers talk down the game? You don't see AFL or RU writers belittling their sport. Why do RL writers put so much negative spin on a sport they are supposed to love?

ive posted that before myself.

our media is a big part of the problem.

we need people who are able to show their passion for the sport.

HevyDevy

Coach
A lot of media at the moment are disillusioned with the current rules which are making the game less interesting by the year.

Azkatro

First Grade
The NRL did a fine job of defaming Origin 1 - by announcing that Sydney clubs are facing extinction.

HevyDevy

Coach
It wasn't 'announced' - plus I believe it was important to bring the matter to the fore.

Did it occur to you that part of this may have been a move by the NRL to place pressure on the poker machine tax? Or to invoke discussion as to possible solutions.

I guess the other option is to sweep it all under the carpet and pretend everything is rosy ...

Blind Freddy

Juniors
I think that alot of it comes from the fact that onfield AFL and RU are obviously the vastly inferior uglier sports. So the people that follow it feel the need to talk it up all the time to defend it.

You could only imagine how these 2 codes would fare if they had the same treatment by the media.... my guess would be not very well at all.

Rugby League is a gritty sport that has had people trying to kill it since it's birth, nothing has changed 100 years later we still get ravaged but Rugby League is still alive and kicking.... Our rivals know our potential but will try and keep us tied down till the end.

It's time for our management to stop the bickering and infighting, stop the agendas and step up as one collective unit to unleash Rugby League's full potential.

We are in war, this time not with ourselves but with another code!

sharko

Juniors
The first Origin game this year was an ok game of football but did not rise to any great heights as far as skill and brutality..it will soon be forgotten as a spectacle unlike some Origin games of old.
The number of tries off kicks for example the Roosters and some of the boring one out football have taken the gloss of attacking league this year.

Shorty

Staff member
I think the fact that the game did not sell out and the fact that Sydney clubs in crisis came to the public barely after the game did not help it.
The AFL,really,didn't need to do anything.

Our sport is in trouble,we need to do whatever we can to help it.

The NRL did a fine job of defaming Origin 1 - by announcing that Sydney clubs are facing extinction.

exactly.

i couldnt believe theyd talk about it during the origin week

it was almost as if they wanted people to take their focus away from origin.

the fact that it got record ratings is hardly mentioned atm

I think that alot of it comes from the fact that onfield AFL and RU are obviously the vastly inferior uglier sports. So the people that follow it feel the need to talk it up all the time to defend it.

You could only imagine how these 2 codes would fare if they had the same treatment by the media.... my guess would be not very well at all.

Rugby League is a gritty sport that has had people trying to kill it since it's birth, nothing has changed 100 years later we still get ravaged but Rugby League is still alive and kicking.... Our rivals know our potential but will try and keep us tied down till the end.

It's time for our management to stop the bickering and infighting, stop the agendas and step up as one collective unit to unleash Rugby League's full potential.

We are in war, this time not with ourselves but with another code!

brilliant post mate.

HevyDevy

Coach
exactly.

i couldnt believe theyd talk about it during the origin week

it was almost as if they wanted people to take their focus away from origin.

the fact that it got record ratings is hardly mentioned atm

Given that the CEOs conference was already scheduled, I'm not sure when else you wanted the issue discussed among them ...

I think the fact that the game did not sell out and the fact that Sydney clubs in crisis came to the public barely after the game did not help it.
The AFL,really,didn't need to do anything.

Our sport is in trouble,we need to do whatever we can to help it.

Agreed. You'll never hear doomsday talk from the AFL CEO. I'm sure they're viewing Gallop's comments as free PR. Probably Union, A League too for that matter.