What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL coup will rock NRL

parano1a

Juniors
The comment about the sleeves was fairly stupid. AFL guernseys come in both sleeves and no-sleeves versions. Certain players prefer the full sleeves and both versions are available for supporters to buy.

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors
The comment about the sleeves was fairly stupid. AFL guernseys come in both sleeves and no-sleeves versions. Certain players prefer the full sleeves and both versions are available for supporters to buy.

Mate dont take it so seriously. Its just joke.

Has it ever occured to you that the NRL have spend most of the past decade correcting the damage that was caused by the Super League war? The early 2000's were needed to cap inflated running costs, player payments, and to gain competition stability. Since 1997, 6 teams merged into 3 (St.George Illawarra, Wests Tigers, Northern Eagles), 1 team de-merged and was re-instated to the comp (Manly), 7 teams were axed (Souths, Norths, Crushers, Adelaide Rams, Western Reds, Hunter Mariners, Gold Coast), 1 team was re-instated through protracted legal action throught the courts (Souths), another was re-instated some years later after intense lobbying for re-inclusion (Gold Coast) and 1 new team entered the comp (Melbourne Storm).

And the above summary just inlcudes what we can see on the surface. The game's administrative minefield, and the damage to community PR and supporter confidence is also enormous.

Also as a direct result of the Super League war, the half-News Limited owned NRL still gets shoddy TV deals because News limited only wants to pay itself a bargain discount priice for the TV rights. Can't blame the former ARL teams for that! But we can blame the WA Reds and the other teams that broke away to Super League!

I think you really underestimate just how much damage the Super League war caused. And no thanks to the WA Reds for their two-faced involvement either!

Well said. And lets not forget the work individual clubs have done themselves in that time. It may be so that few are making a profit but arduous efforts and preparations are being made for a more secure financial future. The results of these efforts will take time to break the surface.

All this stuff takes time. Some barriers you break down in one decade might not show the rewards until the next. You may not see it on the surface for a while yet. Rest assured the game is making strides toward being better.

The independent commission is a god-send. I do not think that news ltd ever wanted to meddle with rugby league at all. I personally believe that they "had" to sink their claws in so deep - 1. because they needed to to get paytv set up in this country and 2. because a fight was put up to them....they love to decimate an opposition. I don't believe they have a long term strategy for control of rugby league. Its been widely reported and speculated upon to death. So we can form a clear enough picture of their thoughts.

For some time my personal opinion of news ltd "letting go" of RL, is that when the time comes to let go that they have been weened so heavily on rugby league financial suppression, they may only wish to somehow ease it off over some time. However, this view has been recently negated for me since it would seem they have already been making preparations. Remember that when they do let go of RL and set it free, RL will be in a market place just like any other sport, and getting what its truly worth will take careful planning - but even this we have seen taking place, even if market forces pry the price up or down.

As humans we have a tendency to form hard pictures of things - like you take a collective group of things that have happened, and set it in stone in your memory and then 100 things become known as one set thought. But this "frozen remembrance" and the feeling associated with it is never an exact reflection of what actually is. You must think about the fact that each day and each year, RL is different. Its constantly evolving, and so are the situations. Even News ltds involvement has constantly evolved over the years. And it will continue to do so. What News are doing now is not what they were doing in 2000. While its true that some of the things set in place will last for some time, many others are changing or stopping. When the independent commission comes, you can be certain news will still have much influence over the day to day things of the nrl. But this will always be changing, and one day it will cease. We must remember things are always evolving. Maybe this is why people continually feel down about the game. Stuff that happened in 1997 or 2000, while affecting us on some level, is not actually happening right now. The whole paradigm has shifted.

I think RL has come a long way since 2000. The competition may be totally different from the 1994-96 one (seems to be everyones golden years in memory) but its obvious we never would have got the restructuring for our future benefit like we have. I wish the war never happened, but it did. This reality we live in now is looking increasingly rosy, and we should take pride in the comp we have now.

Bring on independence! (remember that it may take years for this body to assert its full influence on the game)

RL is a work in progress....we never "arrive" at a certain level and can kick our feet up and go "ahhhh....we've arrived, this is it!" Its an unending work. Lets hope it just gets bigger and better from here. The levels to ascend to are almost limitless.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/ou...1258043793258.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Out in the wild, wild west, even Tiger will be taking a mark

Richard Hinds
November 14, 2009

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou climbed from the motorcycle upon which he had jumped over the Parramatta River, pulled Jarryd Hayne from a saddlebag and waved him to the crowd. Then, with a theatrical flourish, he seized the microphone from hosts Siegfried and Roy and made a bold declaration to a crowd estimated to contain several Western Whatevers fans.

''Let us be clear,'' said Demetriou, throwing $100 notes into the air. ''Our intention is to work hard to build a long-term relationship with the region. We have not become addicted to publicity …''

The word ''stunts'' had formed in Demetriou's mouth. But, before he could spit it out, he was hit by the flying stiletto of one of the 50 Playboy bunnies who had descended from the sky on pink parachutes, and was knocked out cold.

Rushing to save the day, Whatevers coach Kevin Sheedy leapt on to the podium and launched into one of his homespun yarns. The one about the great historic links between the AFL-starved tribes of the west and Australia's (other) native game. Unfortunately, the translator had not arrived and his southern dialect was incomprehensible.

''Anyone know what a Daniher is?'' asked one.

''Not sure,'' said another fan who had turned up thinking he had won a free toaster after responding to a ''Do you love the Whatevers?'' survey at the Campbelltown mall. ''Is it anything like a Jock McHale?''

Sensing the crowd was restless, the AFL's Sydney boss, Dale Holmes, reached into Demetriou's briefcase and pulled out another stack of hundreds.

''Hands up who loves the Whatevers,'' he said, tossing them around. ''Look, you're already taking high marks!''

Amid the clamour of blue-singleted loyalists squabbling over freshly minted notes, an AFL development manager sidled up to Demetriou, who was slowly emerging from his stiletto-induced daze.

''Umm, Andrew,'' he inquired tentatively. ''Wasn't the $100 million we earmarked for the new team up here supposed to be invested in more long-term infrastructure? Weren't we supposed to be about slowly building a 'story' of a new and emerging team that would gradually forge its own identity within the region?''

Demetriou, however, could not hear above the roar of the jet that had appeared majestically in the sky - followed shortly after by the clacking of four news network helicopters.

''The plane! The plane!'' yelled Holmes, performing a remarkably convincing impersonation of Tattoo from Fantasy Island.

Making his way past the line of chorus girls, the acrobats, the fire breathers and the man on stilts who was juggling Karmichael Hunt and Hayne, Demetriou seized the microphone again.

''Loyal Whatevers supporters,'' he said, pointing to the Gulfstream jet. ''We, your friendly and non-threatening masters, ummm, I mean regional partners from the south, have been able to do what NSW Events could not. We have brought Tiger Woods to Sydney!''

''To play in the Australian Open?'' asked a voice from the crowd.

''No, to play on a half-forward flank!'' beamed Demetriou. ''We fully believe the half-forward line of Woods, Hayne and Kidman will not only be the most dynamic in the competition but, should they choose to participate in some promotional activities on the club's behalf despite their hectic training schedule, they might also create some interest in the media.''

The development man looked agitated. ''You didn't discuss any of this with me,'' he said. ''What about our pledge to grow and build slowly without taking any shortcuts?''

''Sorry,'' said Demetriou, dodging one of Siegfried and Roy's tigers as it jumped through a flaming hoop. ''Obviously, a recruiting coup like Woods was restricted to those with top-flight security clearance - leaked to those sections of the media who usually support the imposition of the death penalty for anyone west of Randwick caught playing Aussie rules.''

Above the noise of the 112-piece brass band, a reporter spoke up: ''Mr Demetriou, don't you think the locals will eventually start to tire of stunts?''

''Stunts? Nonsense!'' Demetriou said. ''A top-flight golfer - I mean, half-forward flanker - hitting a flaming Sherrin out of ANZ Stadium at half-time is an integral part of our great game.''

Has anyone felt more inclined to watch AFL yet? :sarcasm:

No. The way they act repulses me. And the average person in the street is not swayed by any of this.

I truly think its a gigantic waste of money. But am happy they are wasting it. The true test will be the team winning games (though this seems like nothing to worry about for them given they are being provided with all the top talent possible) and how many tickets they can sell. On this level it would seem the team will be far less popular than the swans. There just seems to me to be an overwhelming belief that one AFL team in sydney is enough.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Your verbosity frustrates people. How do you not understand that?

Find a more concise way to appeal to the common man and your point may very well get through.

El Diablo

Post Whore
1h2jrk.jpg

Highway1

Juniors
Check out the comment made from this AFL fanboy:

Quoted by "The Big Silent": (quotes underlined)
"Difference between RL and AFL expansion:
People of WEST SYDNEY and GOLD COAST want an AFL team. FACT.
People of GOLD COAST didn't want an NRL team and people of CENTRAL COAST don't want an NRL team there either. NRL forces teams on new locations and pretends they are rugby league areas when they are really AFL Heartland. FACT."

-

Far out, but these bigfooty.com guys seem to have a thing for grossly underestimating the popularity of rugby league.

How much do they underestimate the popularity of Rugby League: well this "Lions Den" blogger accused us Brisbane people of having no passion for rugby league whatsoever and then brags about the Fitzroy bears are killing the Broncos. As a born and bred Brisbanite, I find those quotes by "lions Den" as pure B.S. But yeah thats how much they underestimate rugby league.

Im not from Sydney, so I don't know much about it, but these AFL people seem to think that Western Sydney is limited to Blacktown. Hmm the last time i looked up at west sydney, it was more that just Blacktown, didnt west sydney include parramatta, canterbury, bankstown, liverpool, campbelltown, and other areas.

sorry I couldn't post links, cos I'm new here

Last edited:

E.T.D

Juniors
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/13/2742328.htm

The AFL's Greater Western Sydney (GWS) franchise has made another foray into the rugby league community by securing Andrew Hill as its academy manager.

Hill is a former member of the Western Sydney Rugby League steering committee and he was announced in his new code-switching role on Friday, just days after AFL great Kevin Sheedy was named as the proposed franchise's inaugural coach.

Last edited:

Green Machine

First Grade
I think we are in big trouble if they secure David Tapp, Peter Holmes a Court, Ken Conway, Malcolm Noad or Glenn Matthews