What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL coup will rock NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFLs plan is not to take over west Sydney.
Its plan is to have a semi viable team, which in turn increases advertising revenue, especially seeing that western Sydney is a major growth area nationally.
More teams = more sponsorship revenue for the AFL and larger tv rights revenue, they are hoping for $1bil over 5 years for the next deal, but will most likely only slightly increase the previous $720m deal.

They are being aggressive in their expansion not to try to take over, but to make sure they get the few people who already have an interest in football. They only need approx. 15,000 fans (even if they are all ex pats) to be viable if they get their stadium deals and sponsorship right. Currently Geelong play out of a venue which holds only 25,000 but have been making good profits these last few years.

Its not a war, its just the AFL solidifying its base (something the NRL will try in the next few years with its expansion). The fact that the media are covering as much as they are shows that it will probably be viable, but wont take away from the NRL. (Storm are seen as a success but havent diminished AFL figures in melbourne, same can happen in western sydney)

I'd suggest this isn't really a troll...at no point am i critical of the NRL. if it is moved i'd suggests its a sign of insecurities.

At last some common sense beyond the xenophobic drivel! You really think the AFL are stupid enought to just throw a hundered million$'s down the drain? Wake up, they are aiming for 20,000 fans 10,000+ members, more kids playing the game in Sydney and a bigger TV deal and some rivallary for the Swans. They don't give a flying frick about how popular RL is in sydney, they are positioning themselves to get the very best deal for their game, plain and simple.

We should take the same approach in AFL country. It isn't about taking them over but creating a viable market that grows OUR game.

Bulldog Force

Referee
At last some common sense beyond the xenophobic drivel! You really think the AFL are stupid enought to just throw a hundered million$'s down the drain? Wake up, they are aiming for 20,000 fans 10,000+ members, more kids playing the game in Sydney and a bigger TV deal and some rivallary for the Swans. They don't give a flying frick about how popular RL is in sydney, they are positioning themselves to get the very best deal for their game, plain and simple.

We should take the same approach in AFL country. It isn't about taking them over but creating a viable market that grows OUR game.
Oh no, they got to you too!

thommo4pm

Coach
It's comedy because it's almost borderline embarrassing the way some AFL supporters and the AFL media are wanking over some guy nobody here really has heard about.
So he's a high profile coach, didn't he basically get fired from his last job?

Nobody cares, and, it's not really a worry to the RL community because all the money and promoting in the world isn't going to change generations of League devotion.
The AFL is already trying to tackle Queensland with the GC team, two teams in two years, it's going to make a fool of itself.
It can't force (though if it could it would) people to follow it's sport.

Totally agree....but they sure like to try it.

thommo4pm

Coach
I agree. The AFL are felating themselves over some post retirement age bloke, sacked from his last club, that sydneysiders have never heard of and its embarrasing. The bloke is so old he may not even make 2012, let alone be able to coach full time by then.

The Swans have been in Sydney for 20 odd years and Sydney has been exposed to AFL for 40 odd years now and we all still follow League. Why will Western Sydney be any different in 40 years time to what it is now?

Western Sydney will be no different.
I don't think the AFL has any real idea just how many kids play Rugby League out here.
They do not understand the Western Sydney area at all, as much as they say they do.
The Swans come from a different part of Sydney and appeal to a differing demographic.
Western Sydney is nothing like the Eastern Suburbs.

How often do the people who live out here in Western Sydney see people wearing AFL merchandise or have car stickers showing support etc????
Answer, maybe 1 in every 1-2000 people at best.
I can honestly say I've never seen a game of AFL being played in Penrith.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Western Sydney will be no different.
I don't think the AFL has any real idea just how many kids play Rugby League out here.
They do not understand the Western Sydney area at all, as much as they say they do.
The Swans come from a different part of Sydney and appeal to a differing demographic.
Western Sydney is nothing like the Eastern Suburbs.

How often do the people who live out here in Western Sydney see people wearing AFL merchandise or have car stickers showing support etc????
Answer, maybe 1 in every 1-2000 people at best.
I can honestly say I've never seen a game of AFL being played in Penrith.
The media keep mentioning RUGBY LEAGUE HEARTLAND but those idiots can't get this to sink into their thick skulls. Look at Melbourne... they would've flunked by now if News Corp didn't give them their ca$h injection. If they were to survive on their own like the Sydney clubs have to, they would've gone bankrupt in 2001-2002. Why? BECAUSE IT'S A AFL HEARTLAND. For the record, the Sydney Swans were not founded in Sydney, they came from the South-Melbourne team who was relocated here in the 80s.

Goddo

Bench
Say your a company based in Sydney but want exposure through the rest of the country. NRL is great if your target market is NSW or QLD (such as WoW for the Broncos), but it doesn't project to other markets nationally as well, especially since we aren't even on TV in the rest of the country and only have the Storm there!

As such, we can't charge as much for advertising national brands such as LG, Samsung, St George Bank et cetera as the AFL do because we don't offer the same exposure.

Thats why we have the storm... to advertise Vic based companies wanting exposure in NSW and QLD. The problem is our reach is limited to the storm (which isn't worth much as NRL isn't on TV in Vic), where they will have Swans GWS GC and Brisbane all with free to air coverage across the country. It does matter if people watch, but exposure or oportunity to watch counts more.

This is all about embracing the "National" competition concept as it maximises advertising exposure, and thus premium for advertising.

The thing that has AFL worried is that population growth in NSW and QLD will be huge in the future which tey want a slice of.

First step for us is the next TV deal. WE MUST BE BROADCAST NATIONALLY.

No more late night crap in AFL states. Broadcasters don't like it, but thats where the changes to anti siphoning laws may be handy... 9 might give NRL a shot in WA on go! but not 9. The other option is OneHD, 7two.

Second step is we need teams OUTSIDE THE NSW/QLD MARKET.

Next expansion, consolodating Central Coast or Central QLD is a bit like the AFL expanding into Tasmania. Bit pointless. I want the Bears back, it would be great and would take up the whole north sydney-cnetral coast market. But is it giving us enough national exposure (which helps all clubs)? I feel we can only afford one risky option, so its Bears OR QLD for francise 17.We will need a bold direction for the 18th club. PNG offers nothing in this regard, as does NZ 2 (gives us nothing the warriors don't already). So where to? Perth is the only logical choice.

Brutus

Referee
Say your a company based in Sydney but want exposure through the rest of the country. NRL is great if your target market is NSW or QLD (such as WoW for the Broncos), but it doesn't project to other markets nationally as well, especially since we aren't even on TV in the rest of the country and only have the Storm there!

As such, we can't charge as much for advertising national brands such as LG, Samsung, St George Bank et cetera as the AFL do because we don't offer the same exposure.

Thats why we have the storm... to advertise Vic based companies wanting exposure in NSW and QLD. The problem is our reach is limited to the storm (which isn't worth much as NRL isn't on TV in Vic), where they will have Swans GWS GC and Brisbane all with free to air coverage across the country. It does matter if people watch, but exposure or oportunity to watch counts more.

This is all about embracing the "National" competition concept as it maximises advertising exposure, and thus premium for advertising.

The thing that has AFL worried is that population growth in NSW and QLD will be huge in the future which tey want a slice of.

No more late night crap in AFL states. Broadcasters don't like it, but thats where the changes to anti siphoning laws may be handy... 9 might give NRL a shot in WA on go! but not 9. The other option is OneHD, 7two.

Next expansion, consolodating Central Coast or Central QLD is a bit like the AFL expanding into Tasmania. Bit pointless. I want the Bears back, it would be great and would take up the whole north sydney-cnetral coast market. But is it giving us enough national exposure (which helps all clubs)? I feel we can only afford one risky option, so its Bears OR QLD for francise 17.We will need a bold direction for the 18th club. PNG offers nothing in this regard, as does NZ 2 (gives us nothing the warriors don't already). So where to? Perth is the only logical choice.

Very good post.

Goddo

Bench
I support the bids for teams in PNG, Perth, New Zealand, Queensland, Central Coast, as they each have a market of rugby league fans.

The thing is, we have a finite amount of tallent and money, and as such we have to make smart business decisions on which it is. I strongly feel that we need a risky option for greater exposure, and a safe one to mitigate the risk.

The other concideration is that by introducing the Bears as a sort of "super" North Sydney-Central Coast club, it dimishes the value of Manly (in terms of fans living in the region, advertising value and future growth), just as Cronulla's relevence between St George and Illawarra comes into question now.

Should this mean Cronulla or Manly be forced out of the competiton? No, but if they are unsustainable in their current market, asisted relocation is the best option, and the best oportunity for relocation is Queensland, specifically the North Brisbane-Sunshine Coast region, Logan-Ipswich region and Central QLD out of Rockhampton.

If this were to happen, the NRL should have agreements with QLD Gov, Fed Gov and the club in question to make sure the new location is going to be sucessful (leagues club, new stadium, fans drive, business comunity, support of other NRL clubs et cetera).

EDIT: The reason I think it will pan out this way is that Central Coast already have an afinity for the Bears, and a relocation there (say Cronulla or Manly) won't work. QLD is virgin land when it comes to NRL clubs, and a club that can take some history, established Sydney fans, player roster and sponsors with it would be building on some already established good elements. The QLD Gov has also shown its support for teams with excellent stadiums for NRL and AFL. The NRL needs to be thinking about this but as far as I can tell have only briefly looked at it when Cronulla looked really shaky this year by talking to the Bears. Other than the Bears building their bid, the NRL has no contingency! Terrible...

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
I also think this 2nd AFL team in Sydney won't be the last we see of these merkins in Sydney. I'd say come 2040-2050 they would be looking at North Sydney Oval or St George-Cronulla region for future expansion. They seem to have a viable very long term plan and will stick to it.

Where is our plan? "Maybe" a team in Central Coast and Perth in 2013. "Maybe" an independant commission. "Maybe" a better TV deal. "Umm" says David Gallop.

I know some people might deride me for saying this, but right now, we are on a road to nowhere, and our rivals can smell it. Why do you think A league expansion has been mainly in NSW and QLD? they have been a little too ambitious and might not have the economic clout to back it up, but the AFL certainly do.

As has been said, it doesn't matter if only 10k people go to this teams games, or only 50k watch them on TV in NSW. This isn't about NSW. We need to stop being insular and Sydney orientated.

Rugby League in the 80s and 90s saw this comming, and partly the super league war was over how to achieve a national comp; either let teams in crowded markets (Sydney) die naturally and introduce lots of new teams (+20 team ARL model with some to die off), or create new super francises (14 team super league model and simply boot teams not wanted).

The current status quo between News and ARL has us stuck in limbo and it is depressing to see as the other guy keeps getting further and further in front. We are still in this, but we really have to pull our finger out and get to work.

Perth Red

Post Whore
the NRL (and most fans) simply do not understand the notion and benefits of a "National" comp. The AFL do hence why they are not only looking at extra FT teams in NSW and Q'land but also part time teams in Tassie, ACT and NT. The NRL has no frickin clue and spends more time worrying about players 5h1tting in corridors than in a long term future strategy for the code.

RL around the world has been noted for over a century as having a great product and 5h1t administration, nothing looks to be changing anytime soon.

Goddo

Bench
the NRL (and most fans) simply do not understand the notion and benefits of a "National" comp. The AFL do hence why they are not only looking at extra FT teams in NSW and Q'land but also part time teams in Tassie, ACT and NT. The NRL has no frickin clue and spends more time worrying about players 5h1tting in corridors than in a long term future strategy for the code.

RL around the world has been noted for over a century as having a great product and 5h1t administration, nothing looks to be changing anytime soon.

Exactly red. Some AFL fans don't seem to get the importance of the national comp either (i have read comments of theirs in news papers saying "lets go back to VFL clubs!"), but at least their admin knows all about this stuff. Where the crap is ours? Maye Gallop and Co have a plan, but in the world of advertising dollars, perception is reality.

El Diablo

Post Whore

have you looked where the majority of advertising is spent?

Rugby League territory. regional markets are eqal to if not bigger than Adelaide and Perth

http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Media_Releases/PR10_Revenue_figures_-_Jan_-_Jun_08.pdf

http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Media_Releases/PR11_Revenue_ figures_Jul_-_Dec_08.pdf

Billythekid

First Grade
not drowning, just treading water and being swept out to sea!

You actually have some decent things to say however most people just ignore your points because of your stupid fear mongering.

If you think that helps to get your point across you're mistaken.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I also think this 2nd AFL team in Sydney won't be the last we see of these merkins in Sydney. I'd say come 2040-2050 they would be looking at North Sydney Oval or St George-Cronulla region for future expansion. They seem to have a viable very long term plan and will stick to it.

Where is our plan? "Maybe" a team in Central Coast and Perth in 2013. "Maybe" an independant commission. "Maybe" a better TV deal. "Umm" says David Gallop.

I know some people might deride me for saying this, but right now, we are on a road to nowhere, and our rivals can smell it. Why do you think A league expansion has been mainly in NSW and QLD? they have been a little too ambitious and might not have the economic clout to back it up, but the AFL certainly do.

As has been said, it doesn't matter if only 10k people go to this teams games, or only 50k watch them on TV in NSW. This isn't about NSW. We need to stop being insular and Sydney orientated.

Rugby League in the 80s and 90s saw this comming, and partly the super league war was over how to achieve a national comp; either let teams in crowded markets (Sydney) die naturally and introduce lots of new teams (+20 team ARL model with some to die off), or create new super francises (14 team super league model and simply boot teams not wanted).

The current status quo between News and ARL has us stuck in limbo and it is depressing to see as the other guy keeps getting further and further in front. We are still in this, but we really have to pull our finger out and get to work.

Soccer started up a national comp from scratch with a 100% clean sheet of paper, and as you can see most teams are in NRL territory. And this is why the AFL are sh*t scared and making desperate attempts to expand into NSW and Qld because they have NOWHERE ELSE TO GO (except maybe Tassie, but who cares about that?).

On the other hand, the NRL is already almost as big as the AFL and that is despite the fact that NRL hasn't even expanded into WA, Adelaide, 2nd Brisbane team, Central Coast, Central Queensland, NZ, PNG, with all these expansion options available having some degree of relative comfort in that they are already NRL heartland/have a strong RL history or are going to be the only team servicing a large population base AFL heartland. The AFL can see that it's only a matter of time before the NRL expands to these markets and can see that if they don't do something NOW they will be taken over completely.

And um, last time I checked it was the NRL that last expanded in 2007 with Gold Coast Titans, and its common knowledge that expansion is very much on the cards in 2013. And the frightening thing for AFL is that the NRL hasn't even finished with NSW and Qld yet - with Central Coast and 2nd Brisbane team tipped to enter. So while the AFL are yakking away with extra teams in NSW and Queensland the NRL will simply ramp up the pressure even more and further strengthen NSW and Queensland by adding another team in each state. Could you imagine the negative reaction towards the NRL if the NRL wanted to put a 2nd team in Victoria but at the same time or shortly after the AFL also put a new team in Victoria?

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
I agree, and I'm not saying we aren't strong. We are. I'm pointing out areas where we can improve, and areas where we are vunerable longer term to other codes.

MsStorm

Bench

Goddo you have struck gold with that post.

Its just so important to show rugby league into afl states, if not live, very close to it. That's what got me interested in the game.

And Perth has to be our next expansion team for the reasons you have stated.

MsStorm

Bench

Double post

Last edited: