What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Line Up More NRL Stars

SuperSoward

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/afl-line-up-more-nrl-stars/story-e6frexnr-1225756068749

Hunt's $3 million defection to AFL, but six more NRL superstars have emerged as potential recruits to the cashed-up enemy code. Greg Inglis, Johnathan Thurston and Billy Slater head a marquee list in the AFL crosshairs as it prepares to launch a team in rugby league heartland - Sydney's western suburbs.
And last night the three superstars' managers admitted they would not ignore future offers from the AFL to defect.
"Look, Greg is a rugby league player but who knows what the future holds? He will only be 25 when he comes off contract at the Storm," said Inglis's manager Allan Gainey.
"Already AFL coaches have identified him as a player who would be an outstanding convert. He has the right traits - athleticism, height, ability under the high ball and a powerful kick."
Thurston's manager Sam Ayoub added: "Johnathan is natural freak at any sport.
"He played a bit of AFL at a younger age. He hasn't spoken about AFL but AFL is an endurance sport and Johnathan has the best endurance levels at the Cowboys."
Slater's manager, George Mimis, said AFL talent scouts were aware of his client's brilliance.
"Billy is a tremendous athlete - his skills would be suited to any football code, including AFL,'' Mimis said.
"No doubt all the Melbourne AFL clubs would have had a good chance to watch Billy. He has re-signed with the Storm but you would never say never.''
The code-swapping is likely to intensify when the AFL moves into western Sydney for 2012.
"It's a wake-up call for Mr Gallop,'' Manly coach Des Hasler said. "It well and truly acknowledges the fact it's gloves off and it's time to get cracking. It's a real battle of the codes.
"AFL has certainly struck the first blow and maybe it's a test case but it's a fair place to start _ Karmichael Hunt is arguably one of the most exciting players in the NRL. It will be interesting to see how David [Gallop] and the NRL board reacts.

The Daily Telegraph last night learned Hunt's landmark three-year deal is worth around $1million a season - enough to rebuff mega-rich overtures from cashed-up Japanese and European rugby clubs.
The contract, which officially starts on November 1, is jointly funded by the new Gold Coast franchise and the AFL, which is topping up Hunt's salary in exchange for the league star to promote AFL in south-east Queensland.
Although yet to announce his team's official colours or name, Gold Coast CEO Travis Auld confirmed the club's first marquee signing was recruited as much for his marketing value off the field as his playing potential on it.
Former Kangaroo Garry Jack, who has spent 14 years watching son Kieren play AFL - the past four with the Sydney Swans - named Inglis, Slater, Thurston, Jamie Soward, Israel Folau, Jarryd Hayne and Darren Lockyer as certain stars in AFL.
"Inglis would be my number one - he'd be a star,'' Jack said.

Nugby

Juniors
Player Managers? Did you mean Garry Jack? Though yeah, I did go wtf when I saw Soward mentioned.

f**k 'em. They are all Queenslanders at the start of that Telegraph list anyway so I couldn't give a toss. The less arrogant bastards in the N(SW)RL the better!

big_dell

Juniors
he's just become a star in Rugby League... he won't leave after going through what he has had to deal with

Go Dell

Juniors
not happening, there is not unlimited money in AFL, AFL players are not happy with this whole Hunt thing, Hunt is now one the highest payed player in AFL, there all pretty angry

El Diablo

Post Whore
see that banner in canberra?

"Only soft Hunts play AFL"

pic here http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/gold-coast-unfazed-about-latest-hunt-claims-20090803-e6ns.html

200_Hunt_banner-200x0.jpg

mcs

Juniors
Darren Lockyer a star in AFL lol! Maybe 10 years ago, but not now! I couldn't see Soward being anywhere near as effective in AFL as in league, but you never know.

Brendothejet- on a side issue good to see another Blue on here!!! I am hoping to get to a few of the Sydney meetups this year, I was over in the UK for the 1st half of this year and saw several games including that heartbreaking Hamburg loss in the Uefa cup, but I can't wait for the new season to start after all our big purchases over the summer!:D

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
height is fast becoming a pre-requisite for being a success at the top level in afl..

there are not too many short-er players taking it to the top level as there have been in the past..

but... let them dream..

and i do think the nrl should get tougher on code-changers... nothing like a lifetime ban from playing the sport again to make you think twice about dabbling in a sport that best resembles a group of pissed guys trying to catch a greased pig.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
LMAO, that's so good it could've been made by the Dragon Army.

Isn't height or jumping ability a requirement for AFL?? Sowie's going nowhere...
Speed and kicking ability are also a requirement.

Someone like Soward could be a success in AFL running around the middle of the field. Height isn't the be all and end all in AFL. Considering players need to boot it 50m all the time and land it on a dime, Thurston and Soward would be the most qualified converts. That being said, I don't think either of them are as stupid or as naiive as Hunt to think it'll be a fun, easy or successful transition.

Godz Illa

Coach
see that banner in canberra?

"Only soft Hunts play AFL"
ROFL. I've always had respect for the Green Brigade or whatever they call themselves. They always travel and they're always loud. That banner is fkn brilliant. We need to arrange a loan agreement so we can use it in a couple of weeks

soft_hunts_narrowweb__300x477,0.jpg

Latest posts