What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL - Round 17

camsmith

Juniors
Did i mention i hate Port Adelaide fans?

What real fans would boo instead of sing the song and cheer there team on?
If you didnt see the score you would have thought they had lost the bloody
game.

Anyway, well done tiges, with 5 key players out, we still gave them a run for their money!!!!!!! :clap:

CyberKev

Staff member
Tragic luck for the Tigers, who came up a couple of goals short in a very key game. For awhile there things were looking brilliant for the side though. Sneaking into the lead at the final change and seeing Essendon heading Brisbane would've had the Tigers faithful firmly planning for finals tickets. They may still get to see September action, of course, but a win followed up with a Brisbane loss would've been a veritable 8 pointer!

Cam & Craig would rightly be buoyed by a strong showing under duress, particularly given that the Tigers have never beaten Port at AAMI. Shane Tuck continues to wow and Richo remains a marvel, but the side can ill afford to be kept so vulnerable down back at this time of the season.

For Port, the win was hardly convincing and should count for nought in the long run anyway. I've had a look at their remaining draw and I'd be surprised if they made the finals given the quality of games they still have to play.
=========================================================
In order to make the eight the Tigers will definitely need to roll the Bulldogs, who I wrote off for the season last week, only to see them roll comfortably over the top of Geelong at the Dome???!!!

Sensational effort by the Hounds who had their burgeoning young midfield running hot throughout the afternoon. Their season is finished, but if they can maintain that sort of form they will prove a major spoiler for more fancied teams in the run-in to September.

As for Geelong, all one can say is - "What the flock was that???!!!" Probably best to just put it behind you and forget it never happened, but geez it has to be worrying.
=========================================================
Brisbane will be happy to be back in the eight, but didn't leave themselves a lot of room to move against a resurgent Essendon side.

I haven't heard reports, but I strongly suspect that Aker is injured, as after a sizzling start (tracking via AFL.com) he sat anchored on 18 possessions during the second half. Sensational player and a key to Brisbane's revived fortunes this season, and its hardly surprising that his absence should have allowed the opposition back into the game. Could be a savage blow to the Lions if the injury requires extra weeks of layoff.

Great showing by Essendon who only a fortnight ago looked like a totally lost cause. I was actually daring to think that we might finally get to roll the buggers in a few weeks time, but form like that strongly suggests otherwise :(
==========================================================
I've mentioned across the fortnight that I believe St Kilda are steeling themselves for a full-on premiership tilt, and Friday night did little other than reaffirm this for me. Some people at work were readily tipping the Magpies and I couldn't possibly have been more flabbergasted! At near full strength and in good form, the Saints are the best side in this competition. They'll get far tougher tests than embattled Collingwood, but you can bet that its a sobering thought for the rest of the competition to note the calibre of players expected to return to the Saints side over the next few weeks.

Another fantastic showing from Kozitschke and I can well see why Carlton have been making such a big play for him. I think Hawthorn should be doing the same, not that it really matters, as I can't seriously see him going anywhere. He may already have re-signed with the Saints.

Collingwood? Rightly looking forward to the offseason, but worryingly for the club I don't think they've fully bottomed out yet. Should be in for a very long 2006.
Hawthorn certainly knows all about long seasons on 2004-05 showings, but can smile tonight after a rare win. Carlton is hardly a huge scalp, but the win at least allows Clarkson to square things away with last season's record. More tellingly, we saw a paradigm shift for the Hawks today and got a glimpse into a revised 2006 gameplan with the side continually attacking the corridor. Croad's strong form at CHF has enabled this switch, and in turn has permitted young Roughead to shine at CHB. Hodge was again great and Franklin threaten to singlehandedly tear the Blues apart early before fading. A good showing from a side missing its three best CHF options, two form defenders and its 2nd, 3rd & 4th best midfielders. Doing a crap job (again) of tanking, I must say.

Carlton responded solidly to the revised Hawk style by doing the same thing and the game proved a very entertaining spectacle, particularly during the first half. Koutifides, Stevens & Scotland all played well, and while he didn't get a lot of ball, Fevola kicked 4 goals and showed signs of a return to his best. Special mention should also go to the much maligned Whitnall who played a strong game in defence for the Blues. I don't think the spoon is a done deal, but the Blues can certainly look ahead to the draft with excitement at the prospect of having a priority pick to use.
In closing, I suspect that 48 points may not necessarily be enough to ensure a finals berth this season, as Hawthorn found out to their chagrin in 2003.

And to Brian Taylor & Sam Newman...

You friggin' idiots! How many games can you play or be intimately involved in, but still not understand basic elements of the overall code???!!!

meltiger

First Grade
camsmith said:
Did i mention i hate Port Adelaide fans?

What real fans would boo instead of sing the song and cheer there team on?
If you didnt see the score you would have thought they had lost the bloody
game.

Anyway, well done tiges, with 5 key players out, we still gave them a run for their money!!!!!!! :clap:

You talking about the end of the game? They were booing the umpires mate, not the Port players.

The song also didn't play until after they finished booing. It actually made me laugh that they had the words to their song on the scoreboard!! LMAO

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
In closing, I suspect that 48 points may not necessarily be enough to ensure a finals berth this season, as Hawthorn found out to their chagrin in 2003.

I think it will.

Port will drop North next week and Adelaide. Leaving them potentially only 3 more wins, 44 points.

Melbourne will lose their next 3 and then most probably Footscray in R21.

Richmond will beat Carlton this week and then have 3 crunch games on the trot taking in Hawthorn, Fremantle (Perth) and as mentioned above the Doggies.

At this stage, based on their performance in the last 3 quarters on Saturday night, I am backing Richmond in, just ahead of Port. Melbourne are gaaaaawwwwn.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Tragic luck for the Tigers, who came up a couple of goals short in a very key game. For awhile there things were looking brilliant for the side though. Sneaking into the lead at the final change and seeing Essendon heading Brisbane would've had the Tigers faithful firmly planning for finals tickets. They may still get to see September action, of course, but a win followed up with a Brisbane loss would've been a veritable 8 pointer!

Cam & Craig would rightly be buoyed by a strong showing under duress, particularly given that the Tigers have never beaten Port at AAMI. Shane Tuck continues to wow and Richo remains a marvel, but the side can ill afford to be kept so vulnerable down back at this time of the season.

For Port, the win was hardly convincing and should count for nought in the long run anyway. I've had a look at their remaining draw and I'd be surprised if they made the finals given the quality of games they still have to play.

1 point up and Richo kicks the ball out on the full in the first minute of the last quarter. If he had of kicked that goal it would have broken the spine of Port and we would be almost assured of September action. I love the big fella, but damn, what a missed oppurtunity. Let it be said though, I am not bagging him, just rueing a missed oppurtunity. The big fella once again played his guts out for us and ran all night. His best ever game in Adelaide, by a mile.

Gotta say, it got a bit feral up in the midst of the Port Adelaide members due to the free kick count being heavily in Richmonds favour (Something like 25-16) but if they watched the game again on replay (As I did yesterday), objectively, they would have to admit that most of the frees were simply reward for effort. The Richmond players were putting their heads over the ball and playing hard, desperate footy and were being infringed against, Port were softer in their attack on the footy, so Richmond weren't conceding any free kicks.

In saying that it got a bit feral though, I must say i was highly, highly impressed with the treatment I recieved from the Port guys and would definately sit there again next time we play Port over there.

To be honest, I'm shattered, we deserved to win the game and probably would have if Graham hadn't dropped that mark but cannot fault him as it was a highly courages effort.

Then again, do you really deserve to win after conceding 10 of the first 13 goals of a game?

I still think we are in the hunt for 8th spot, which will be a phenomenal effort from Terry and the boys given our pathetic efforts in 2003 & 2004. At the end of the day though, the team has improved significantly, and with a full season and second pre-season under the belt of the kids, Browny & Rodan back - we will continue to rise next year.

I'm proud of what they have achieved no matter where we finish now.

I know I say it every week, but damn, Deledio is going to be an absoloute star of the competition.

CyberKev said:
Sensational effort by the Hounds who had their burgeoning young midfield running hot throughout the afternoon. Their season is finished, but if they can maintain that sort of form they will prove a major spoiler for more fancied teams in the run-in to September.

Didn't they have three of their top 10 players back??? The Dogs game is the one that worries me the most out of the ones we have left.

CyberKev said:
As for Geelong, all one can say is - "What the flock was that???!!!" Probably best to just put it behind you and forget it never happened, but geez it has to be worrying.

Geelong are still a show. I would class that game an abberation. Especially since the Dogs have slammed them for being cocky. Bomber won't like that whatsoever and will want them to atone.

CyberKev said:
Brisbane will be happy to be back in the eight, but didn't leave themselves a lot of room to move against a resurgent Essendon side.

VERY suprising result, I had Brisbane pegged as Top 4 material based on their draw. At this stage though it has to be St Kilda, Sydney, Adelaide and West Coast.

CyberKev said:
I haven't heard reports, but I strongly suspect that Aker is injured, as after a sizzling start (tracking via AFL.com) he sat anchored on 18 possessions during the second half. Sensational player and a key to Brisbane's revived fortunes this season, and its hardly surprising that his absence should have allowed the opposition back into the game. Could be a savage blow to the Lions if the injury requires extra weeks of layoff.

Now confirmed of course that Acker is injured. Is going to hurt Brisbane terribly. I agree.

camsmith

Juniors
meltiger said:
You talking about the end of the game? They were booing the umpires mate, not the Port players.

Yeah thats my point, booing the umps instead of cheering for there team.
Maybe its just me, but when we win a game, regardless of how the umpires were, i go crazy and cheer and sing the song loud... not just boo :roll:

Anyway hope ya had a good time with "them" :D
im hoping we give Carlton a belting this week to set us up for a BIG game against the Dockers.

meltiger

First Grade
In all honesty mate, at the ground I thought the umpiring was pretty poor too. I would have done the same thing had it been RIchmond on the end of that count.

It wasn't until I watched the game on replay on Sunday (Nothing else to do in Adelaide lol) that I could see why the frees were being paid.

meltiger

First Grade
meltiger said:
Now confirmed of course that Acker is injured. Is going to hurt Brisbane terribly. I agree.

They are reporting this morning Kev that Acker is likely to play against the dogs.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
They are reporting this morning Kev that Acker is likely to play against the dogs.

Hmmm.

Back related tightness from the hamstring.

I guess its the sort of injury you go out and play with, but it will be interesting to see how much of the game he lasts.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
I know I say it every week, but damn, Deledio is going to be an absoloute star of the competition.

No doubt.

Its true that the rising star field from this year is just off the pace at the top end of some other years (2002 in particular, where none of this year's nominees would have placed), but in general terms the depth of talent appears as good as I've seen to this point.

Meltiger said:
Didn't they have three of their top 10 players back??? The Dogs game is the one that worries me the most out of the ones we have left.

Freo in Perth will be tougher, provided evil Freo doesn't turn up. Geelong will also be tougher, assuming the real Geelong turns up. We'll get a better sense of the Hounds this week against Brisbane. I think they're a real show, but they'll need to do well to make it clear that last weekend wasn't just a fluke.

Meltiger said:
Geelong are still a show. I would class that game an abberation. Especially since the Dogs have slammed them for being cocky. Bomber won't like that whatsoever and will want them to atone.

The cupless Cats have put in several "abberations" this season. I'm not entirely off them, but my confidence is waning considerably. Will need to fire up, but should be able to return to winning form against the Bombers.

Meltiger said:
VERY suprising result, I had Brisbane pegged as Top 4 material based on their draw. At this stage though it has to be St Kilda, Sydney, Adelaide and West Coast.

While West Coast remains the best performed side in the competition, doubts remain over their forward & defensive capacity come finals time. I'm yet to be convinced that they have the necessary go up factor. With a near full list the Saints remain comfortably the most dangerous side going around, and given a good run in September could seriously give this flag a shake. Its very much up for grabs.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Freo in Perth will be tougher, provided evil Freo doesn't turn up. Geelong will also be tougher, assuming the real Geelong turns up. We'll get a better sense of the Hounds this week against Brisbane. I think they're a real show, but they'll need to do well to make it clear that last weekend wasn't just a fluke.

I think we're more a chance of beating Freo in two weeks than the Dogs mate.

Geelong has already been marked down as a loss even before Browny got injured.

Richmond don't win at Kardinia Park lol

That's more the sense I was talking from - Basically we need to have made it by Round 21, cause if we haven't, we won't.

incomparable

Juniors
meltiger said:
1 point up and Richo kicks the ball out on the full in the first minute of the last quarter. If he had of kicked that goal it would have broken the spine of Port and we would be almost assured of September action. I love the big fella, but damn, what a missed oppurtunity. Let it be said though, I am not bagging him, just rueing a missed oppurtunity. The big fella once again played his guts out for us and ran all night. His best ever game in Adelaide, by a mile.

I thought that were i was sitting, that he slipped as he kicked for that goal in the last. Looking at it again this morning, I still reckon he slipped. That slip could have cost us a finals appearance and thumping.

meltiger

First Grade
incomparable said:
I thought that were i was sitting, that he slipped as he kicked for that goal in the last. Looking at it again this morning, I still reckon he slipped. That slip could have cost us a finals appearance and thumping.

That would hardly be his fault though mate?

It was pretty wet! lol

incomparable

Juniors
meltiger said:
That would hardly be his fault though mate?

It was pretty wet! lol

No-one said i was blaming him, heck if sugar hadn't of fumbled the ball in the third that got Dew's goal the result could have been different. You was the ione that brought that point up.

That's right, it was wet as us "poor people" had to sit out in the outer while you were lucky enough to get spat on by port fans.

meltiger

First Grade
incomparable said:
That's right, it was wet as us "poor people" had to sit out in the outer while you were lucky enough to get spat on by port fans.

That only happened with one person! lol