What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afl To Buy Anz Stadium(this Is Massive)

HAL

Juniors
I think they will put in a offer soon,should know more about it tomorrow in the papers.

Slackboy72

Coach
This could kill either league or AFL. It could become a massive white elephant for the AFL or it may make the NRL their lapdogs.
I predict it will push sydney clubs back to surburban grounds and put our game back another ten years.

Note to all the CEOs who jumped ship to SuperLeague. This is where the ARL could have been today.

Dragon

Coach
Its a big move from the AFL but imagine if league wasnt played at ANZ. If the NRL said FU and we could return to the real home grounds fans have been crying out for, whats so bad about that? And a return to the SFS for finals would be awesome.

I dunno much about AFL but i doubt Swans could pull 80k unless the AFL decided to play out-of-state Grand Finals. There'd be no Origin, no NRL finals, only swans and the odd rugby/soccer game. Oh and the olympics in 2045 :p

*edit* and i should add i dont know how impressed swans fans would be having to leave their beloved SCG. + the western Sydney team is a huge gamble, pure league territory. The more i think about it the more it sounds like some pipe-line big talk from the AFL tbh.

El Diablo

Post Whore
if the AFL buy it then the NRL and all clubs must abandon it

f**k handing money over to fagball

If the AFL want to waste $200 million on a stadium , im all for it.

Imagine what that money could do if spent in other areas?!

If anything hopefully we could see Rugby League , Union and soccer join forces to get a 65K proper rectangular stadium built.

if the AFL buy it then the NRL and all clubs must abandon it

f**k handing money over to fagball

the thing is , if the NRL left it would put the stadium in serious financial sh*t.

it would lose 2 or 3 of its 6 or so games that pull over 60K.

outside of the NRL there is only ever 2 union tests and maybe 1 socceroos game.

Timbo

Staff member
Everyone on the 'NRL should say FU to ANZ and jump ship'.

Please for a moment look at the revenue generated for the clubs that call ANZ home just by playing there.

Souths, Wests, Canterbury (and I assume, this season, St. George) make obscene amounts of money by just showing up.

This 'death of Sydney clubs' that Gallop was talking about - well, for the fans of the above three, look out, this could be your silver bullet.

However I am consoled by the fact that it will absolutely f**k AFL as well, that stadium is a white elephant, and the Western Sydney team is a disaster waiting to happen.

El Diablo

Post Whore
the thing is , if the NRL left it would put the stadium in serious financial sh*t.

it would lose 2 or 3 of its 6 or so games that pull over 60K.

outside of the NRL there is only ever 2 union tests and maybe 1 socceroos game.

and if the NRL stayed they'd be making money for the AFL

i know what i'd rather see

Timbo

Staff member
If anything hopefully we could see Rugby League , Union and soccer join forces to get a 65K proper rectangular stadium built.

And that will never happen. A stadium of that magnitude will cost upwards of half a billion dollars, which will never be raised without significant government support.

We're in a state where the roads, hospitals and schools are falling apart. It would be suicide for any government to cough up that much dough for a stadium, when ANZ and the SFS already serve the needs of the sports - whether or not sports fans see it that way, the bulk of the taxpayers will.

Dragon

Coach
Im honestly not too concerned. I think sport in general is in trouble because of the economic situation of the global economy. Its gonna get worse and *maybe* some clubs will fold. It may all seem like doom and gloom but rugby league and its fans are resilient. AFL owning a hole in the ground wont be the death of this great game.

They (AFL) think moving the Demons out of Melbourne will suddenly make everything rosy...it wont

AFL is feeling the effects of a sh*thouse and frightened economy just as much as league and union are.

El Diablo

Post Whore
so if fagball want to buy ANZ why are they asking the Queensland Government to spend millions on the GC building them a stadium?

And that will never happen. A stadium of that magnitude will cost upwards of half a billion dollars, which will never be raised without significant government support.

We're in a state where the roads, hospitals and schools are falling apart. It would be suicide for any government to cough up that much dough for a stadium, when ANZ and the SFS already serve the needs of the sports - whether or not sports fans see it that way, the bulk of the taxpayers will.

I doubt many would have thought a stadium would superceed the SFS a mere 12 years after being built either. Granted the circumstances that changed that were massive.

But we are talking about a city of 4.5 million with the most rectangular codes anywhere on the planet.

sure its a massive long shot but if a stadium like that cant be made profitable here I find that amazing. So i wouldnt rule out private investment.

Hopefully when a new stadium comes one day they get it right.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Jesus christ, when will the AFL bullsh*t stop?

They're going to do this, they're going to do that. I've yet to actually see them do anything concrete at all.

Even a cursory assessment of this proposition would herald three simple questions.

1) do the originators & current owners of the stadium propose to sell it off for less than its build cost ? And why would that be ?

2) whats the current ongoing revenue in comparison to ongoing operating costs ?

3) does demittrieueaueaieoueieauueieaiei really believe that cementing $200m in fixed costs would progress afl in Sydney ??

There are more questions to be posted but they are not needed right now.

Latest posts