What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afl To Buy Anz Stadium(this Is Massive)

Red Bear

Referee
To be honest it makes sense for afl, its good to watch at ANZ when compared to every other sport.

And if we could get a 65 k rectngular stadium built all the better, because there is no f**king way we should be giving money to the AFL.

Just a matter of where to put said 65K stadium

as posted by others, this should help RL get a decent large capacity rectangular ground like suncorp though it needs to be over 80,000.

there still lots of land at homebush so another ground there could work well.

Red Bear

Referee
Here is an idea, maybe that multi national multi billion dollar company that owns the game could chip in, along with Yawnion and the FFA to provide a stadium as to lessen how much any govt would wish to pay.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Didn't it cost $550 million to build ??, this story is bullsh*t, it shows though if you sell your tv rights for what they are worth, you can make up any propaganda you want.

NRL couldn't afford henson park at the moment...

Timbo

Staff member
OK, I'll chip in 10 million, you all chip in 10 million, and we'll get our stadium...

ANZ has been a financial disaster, despite massive patronage. The NRL has shown it can't get more than 15,000 average for its clubs.

So I'm a billionaire, and I'm approached and asked to invest in a stadium, which indicates that in all likelyhood it will leak money like a sieve, and be sold out 1-2 times a year. The ARU and FFA tell me that their banner clubs will remain playing at the SFS and historically, the only permanent residents of my stadium sell out as often as a striptease put on by 80 year olds.

Yeah, I'm going to invest in that.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Does anyone get the feeling that we are all being drip fed media leaks about the Afl push into western sydney every couple of weeks. eg Sixty Minutes tomorrow night.

The Afl have decided even if they dont want it, if we talk about it for 3 years it will create demand.

Their media manager is obviously better than ours, as at the moment all we are hearing is doom and gloom.

Instead of on the eve of origin releasing a statement saying that RL is dying in Sydney why aren't the NRL yelling from the roof tops the fact that 3.3 odd million people nationally watched the game.

It is all about perception and at the moment we are getting lapped in the media management of the game.

Dragon

Coach
Does anyone get the feeling that we are all being drip fed media leaks about the Afl push into western sydney every couple of weeks. eg Sixty Minutes tomorrow night.

The Afl have decided even if they dont want it, if we talk about it for 3 years it will create demand.

Their media manager is obviously better than ours, as at the moment all we are hearing is doom and gloom.

Instead of on the eve of origin releasing a statement saying that RL is dying in Sydney why aren't the NRL yelling from the roof tops the fact that 3.3 odd million people nationally watched the game.

It is all about perception and at the moment we are getting lapped in the media management of the game.

Top post that

OVP

Coach
This could kill either league or AFL. It could become a massive white elephant for the AFL or it may make the NRL their lapdogs.
I predict it will push sydney clubs back to surburban grounds and put our game back another ten years.

Note to all the CEOs who jumped ship to SuperLeague. This is where the ARL could have been today.

A humungously ruthless company, News, got its arse kicked against Quayley and Arko. If only those two didnt give these TURDS a chance .... Nevermind, its a long story :).

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
League's showcase under threat

Article from:
EXCLUSIVE by Josh Massoud
May 24, 2008 12:00am

THE AFL wants to buy ANZ Stadium at Homebush Bay in an audacious bid to guarantee the success of its aggressive push into rugby league's heartland.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal the AFL has revived a previously secret $200 million bid for the Olympic Stadium that was rejected last year.
The ANZ-led trust which owns the stadium prevailed in early 2007, but it is understood a renewed offer is now being devised as the AFL prepares to launch its western Sydney franchise in 2011.
If successful, the move could spell disaster for cash-strapped Sydney NRL clubs that rely on the stadium's generous $100,000-a-game guarantee to prop up their bottom lines.
NRL boss David Gallop this week warned Sydney clubs faced extinction because of the crippling effect of the State Government's poker machine tax on their parent leagues clubs.
Five Sydney teams currently play home matches at ANZ Stadium, and the venue now hosts 38 NRL games a season. This week's State of Origin opener was also played there. Should the AFL gain control of the venue, rugby league would be faced with a hostile landlord.
AFL boss Andrew Demetriou spent half a day at Olympic Park five weeks ago. In company with NSWAFL supremo Dale Holmes, he met Stadium CEO Ken Edwards after taking a full tour of the 80,000-seater the new western Sydney side will call home.
When asked this week if the AFL was preparing to buy the stadium, Demetriou responded with a "no comment".
But his defeated takeover bid in early 2007 is evidence of the extremes Melbourne-based warmongers are prepared to go to crush the NRL.
AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick pulled together a purchase consortium including Westpac Bank to offer about $200 million for the Stadium when it was de-listed in late 2006.
A source close to the negotiations said the AFL wanted to replicate its stadia-ownership strategy in Sydney. It has a sizeable ownership stake in Melbourne's Telstra Dome, ensuring turnover from premiership matches staged at Docklands is not lost to the code.
"They have an interest in establishing a team in Western Sydney, so it would make sense to buy ANZ Stadium," the source said.
"They effectively control the leasehold over Telstra Dome and it's been their business plan to control stadia around Australia.
"They wanted to have a similar interest at ANZ Stadium but missed out first time round."
While the consortium's bid was attractive to shareholders, it was ultimately hampered by the fact ANZ owned the stadium's $140 million debt.
Westpac chiefs were understandably nervous about owning an asset whose debt was controlled by a competitor.
David Gallop said an AFL-controlled venue "would be a concern" for league.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23748431-5001021,00.html

mark123

Juniors
A humungously ruthless company, News, got its arse kicked against Quayley and Arko. If only those two didnt give these TURDS a chance .... Nevermind, its a long story :).

the world has changed.

!!!Its been a comp relying on handouts!!! HELLO????

You don't own a thing!!

IS IT NOT TIME FOR THE CLUBS TO ONCE AND FOR ALL STAND ON THEIR OWN TWO FEET AND PAY THEIR WAY FOR ONCE!?

this may just be the catalyst for a large modern rectangular stadium out that way.

to be honest, thank god they are taking anz. seriously! do you all like the stadium that much? its not going to save league, even if it is 'helping'.

The people who own it now have a massive debt, they struggle to get tennants (have to PAY THEM) and are struggling to pay back the debt.

Let afl have it. It really does not matter who we give the 'rent' to, and as strange a situation as it will be, this is also an opportunity.

Its an opportunity for league to once and for all stand on its own two feet.

What amazes me is that, if league is soooo huuuge in sydney, why it doesnt have its own stadium?

You gotta admit that the afl are pretty smart....they get back revenue from telstra dome, now they will get back revenue from anz, and when they are forced to build a stadium for the gold coast, they will get back revenue from that.

Old trafford earns money for man u, twickerham for union, the list goes on.

its not a bad idea.

with rl standing on its own two feet for once, instead of playing out of govt owned stadia, why not eventually own our own? So lets start with one.

Head that way. I doubt we could do it just now, but in some years time.

Oh and this is the kick in the ass sydney rl needs....its time to pay our own way and reap the rewards...

let them have anz, it won't change much, our gf can still be held there...they will want origin no doubt.

***you watch how a new rl rectangular stadium materialises soon....i have been telling you all recently about a new sydney rectangular stadium, how the city needs one out that way, have i not??? watch talk of it come in the next few years, plus upgraded transport for the *sfs*, league's new best friend***

the difference this time is that finally, finally!, rl may have a part ownership of something thats known as a

MONEY MAKING ASSETS

pssst: guys.....league needs more of those...above this line....psssstt...

bobmar28

Bench
What's with all these AFL stories daily. Half of them are BS.
This is not bullsh*t. They are serious.

By the way has anyone noticed that Swans crowds are down this year, 34,000 last week at ANZ. Isn't that about half what they used to get a couple of years ago for so called blockbuster games?

Australian Football is bidding for the World Cup in 2018, which we should hear about in 2011. if we get it, expect awesome stadiums to pop up everywhere.....

bobmar28

Bench
Its a big move from the AFL but imagine if league wasnt played at ANZ. If the NRL said FU and we could return to the real home grounds fans have been crying out for, whats so bad about that? And a return to the SFS for finals would be awesome.

I dunno much about AFL but i doubt Swans could pull 80k unless the AFL decided to play out-of-state Grand Finals. There'd be no Origin, no NRL finals, only swans and the odd rugby/soccer game. Oh and the olympics in 2045 :p

*edit* and i should add i dont know how impressed swans fans would be having to leave their beloved SCG. + the western Sydney team is a huge gamble, pure league territory. The more i think about it the more it sounds like some pipe-line big talk from the AFL tbh.
I said this on another thread but the Swans got 34,000 at ANZ last week, compare that to the 60-70,000 they used to get for so called blockbuster games a couple of years ago.
I don't think Westpac would risk their money for this if the NRL warn them that if it happens RL will be played out of SFS.

mark123

Juniors
I said this on another thread but the Swans got 34,000 at ANZ last week, compare that to the 60-70,000 they used to get for so called blockbuster games a couple of years ago.
I don't think Westpac would risk their money for this if the NRL warn them that if it happens RL will be played out of SFS.

it is interesting to note that much of the stadiums sustainability comes from rugby league.

Ice777

Bench
This is not bullsh*t. They are serious.

By the way has anyone noticed that Swans crowds are down this year, 34,000 last week at ANZ. Isn't that about half what they used to get a couple of years ago for so called blockbuster games?

Swans crowds are down around 2,400 on last year. But they still have games against Collingwood and Geelong at ANZ where they'll get their average blockbuster crowd you'd think so at a guess they'll end up with a higher average overall than last year.

As mentioned in another thread while the game was below their average at ANZ, the corresponding game against Essendon drew 8,000 more last week at Homebush than what it did last year when it was played at the SCG. Essendon aren't the powerhouse they used to be years ago sitting near the bottom of the ladder so it was no real surprise they only drew that crowd.