What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afl To Buy Anz Stadium(this Is Massive)

eastsrule

Bench
It is not going to happen.

They need to have a solid consortium and Westpac has been named as the biggest funder.

ANZ Stadium does not run at a financial profit and the only way it makes money is the SOO's, Wallaby tests and Socceroo games. There is no guarantee an AFL team would even succeed over there.

The other point to mention is that most of the debt of ANZ stadium is owned by ANZ bank. No bank in their right mind would try and buy something with the debt owned by a major competitor.

jono

Juniors
Let them buy it because they won't fill it either. They'll be stuck with a money pit.
Agree , they run a "Western Swans club out of there ane they'll be lucky to get 5000 a game
Look at when the swannies started in 1982, i took 'em 20 years to get the crowdsthey do today.

aarondoyle

Juniors
If they buy it, it's game over guys. The money the clubs make from that sh*thole is massive.

Bloody hell i hope this doesn't happen.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Thats not entirely true. Millenium Stadium in Cardiff operates on a profit and I have a feeling the stadia in NZ do too.

Either way. If all clubs bar the Bulldogs leave the stadium for other grounds, I would think that it will be hard for the AFL to make up the numbers in other areas (as it's volume of matches, which Cardiff stadium and the few major NZ stadiums have). As well Rugby League clubs like Wests moving most of there games out to Campbelltown would help Rugby League as well (though the stadium needs to hold 25K really).

Moffo

Referee
i hope afl buys it and a few teams get eliminated. survival of the fittest boys and the NRL needs a cleanout of teams in sydney, desparately

Either way. If all clubs bar the Bulldogs leave the stadium for other grounds, I would think that it will be hard for the AFL to make up the numbers in other areas (as it's volume of matches, which Cardiff stadium and the few major NZ stadiums have). As well Rugby League clubs like Wests moving most of there games out to Campbelltown would help Rugby League as well (though the stadium needs to hold 25K really).

I repeat what I said in another thread. The Wests Magpies were based entirely out of Campbelltown between 1987 and 1999 yet never managed to establish a proper support base. On three occasions the team made the finals although this did little to boost the modest crowd figures. What would change if the WESTS TIGERS relocated permanently to Campbelltown?

What would happen? The Tigers would alienate the majority of their support base and it would be a case of starting again.

Secondly, why would we want to completely abandon the Inner West, which is an affluent area? Why does league have a preoccupation with limiting itself to the burgeoning, albeit low-income region in the far Western Suburbs? Surely there is benefit in maintaining a broader cross-section of support. I would say playing exclusively out of Cambo would affect sponsorship, support and radically alter the profile of the club...

Look, maybe I'm wrong and the best thing for the Tigers would be to become the Holden SS Ute Wests Tigers, the team of battlers that resonate strongly with the local population. I would begrudgingly maintain my support although just as many Inner West fans would drop off forever. Losing 20k fans in the name of progress, I suppose...

If they buy it, it's game over guys. The money the clubs make from that sh*thole is massive.

Bloody hell i hope this doesn't happen.

I think thats a little over the top TBH.

sure some clubs have done well out of the stadium , but you could argue the stadium needs the clubs even more.

and many of these clubs have existing contacts with the stadium that would not be void just becuase of a change of ownership.

griff

Bench
If they were fair dinkum, the ACCC wouldn't let them buy stadiums.

Then, if the ACCC were fair dinkum they wouldn't let News Ltd sell the NRL TV rights to themselves either.

Of course, what do you expect when the chairman of the ACCC is the former head of the AFL Commission...

Edwahu

Bench
The AFL cant make a 200 million dollar investment that returns nothing. They will still need league to be played there.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I repeat what I said in another thread. The Wests Magpies were based entirely out of Campbelltown between 1987 and 1999 yet never managed to establish a proper support base. On three occasions the team made the finals although this did little to boost the modest crowd figures. What would change if the WESTS TIGERS relocated permanently to Campbelltown?

What would happen? The Tigers would alienate the majority of their support base and it would be a case of starting again.

Secondly, why would we want to completely abandon the Inner West, which is an affluent area? Why does league have a preoccupation with limiting itself to the burgeoning, albeit low-income region in the far Western Suburbs? Surely there is benefit in maintaining a broader cross-section of support. I would say playing exclusively out of Cambo would affect sponsorship, support and radically alter the profile of the club...

Look, maybe I'm wrong and the best thing for the Tigers would be to become the Holden SS Ute Wests Tigers, the team of battlers that resonate strongly with the local population. I would begrudgingly maintain my support although just as many Inner West fans would drop off forever. Losing 20k fans in the name of progress, I suppose...

Poor facilities at Campbelltown don't help. But the area has grown substantially in that time period you mention, as well as now they have a team which is quite successful on the field (which they didn't have before). It really comes down to how profitable playing at the stadium can be (which as I noted, needs to be upgraded to accommodate 25K at least).

Slackboy72

Coach
While we're building stadia we can't afford I'll dip into my magic bag of fairy dust and put this one to you before I fly off to the magical wonderland of chocolate on my winged marshmallow...ahem.

Anyone remember clover moore proposing a redevelopment of the sydney cbd which involved building over the central station land?
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.886805,151.204534&spn=0.010866,0.026865&t=h&z=16

Well if you were going to build over that then you could quite easily fit a stadium in Prince Albert Park. Perfect location for it too. If you could get to a train station you could get to the football. You could have up to 6 teams playing out of there (Wests, Souths, Easts, Manly, Dragons and Sharks). You could then pour money into Parramatta stadium as a west sydney venue (Penrith, Parramatta and Bulldogs). Only having two stadia to maintain would be much cheaper for all concerned and the SCG trust, AFL and ANZ Bank (which is based in Melbourne anyway) could go f**k themselves and their dogs with a blunt stick.

In a perfect world sydney would have a lord mayor and a premier as parochial about football as John So and Brumby. Unfortunately all the sydney pollies worry about is balancing their budget. Admittedly they are not getting their fair slice of GST revenue (which NSW has not got, while QLD gets subsidised by NSW and VIC) but still sydney needs people in charge who are willing to bite the bullet and make the big changes in the interests of their constituents and not their own grandiose visions of what sydney should be.

flamin

Juniors
The AFL don't have an unlimited supply of money. $200 million + all the hundreds of millions they are already spending up here + all the hundreds of millions they'll need to spend up here to even get a foundation for 2 extra franchises is surely going to go a long way into eating there cash reserves.

Sounds like Rugby Union in 2003 all over again - 'we have the money to buy rugby league out', 'rugby league will be dead in 5 years' etc. Well we've survived worse.

Though what we need is a proper rectangular stadium of at least 60k capacity in Sydney.

Chapsta

Juniors
Though what we need is a proper rectangular stadium of at least 60k capacity in Sydney.

Whats wrong with the SFS? How often is it packed to capacity? Is it necessary to have a new larger rectangular stadium?

The only events that would surpass the SFSs' capacity are Origin and perhaps 2 finals matches. Hardly warrants an expensive new rectangular stadium being built.

Whats wrong with the SFS? How often is it packed to capacity? Is it necessary to have a new larger rectangular stadium?

The only events that would surpass the SFSs' capacity are Origin and perhaps 2 finals matches. Hardly warrants an expensive new rectangular stadium being built.

there is a lot wrong with the SFS.

1. nowhere near rugby league heartland.
2. not near a train station
3. very little wet weather protection
4. right next door to another major stadium ( a nightmare on dual game days)
5. there is only actually about 30K seats available for sale

Latest posts