What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL to spend $300 million on Gold Coast? Batlle with the NRL continues.

bobmar28

Bench
nqboy said:
Based on what? There was no mention of it in the press.

I don't remember any mention of them not bidding either so I'm assuming they had the opportunity if they wanted to.

nqboy

First Grade
Not sure, but I think I remember Kerry Stokes grumbling about not even being able to bid.

t-ba

Post Whore
Seven didn't get a chance to bid...It was like the Grand Final deal with Telstra Stadium.

Hanscholo

Bench
And people wonder why i despise the AFL. Back in the days before they were predatory and highly competative with the NRL i liked the AFL. I just refuse to watch it now, how dare they try and destroy RL.

Typical Melbourne Jan Brady syndrome, they must force their game down our throats, THEY MUST BE THE BEST, get f**ked, ill watch the league. lol, its rather amusing tbh.

melbstormer

Juniors
Hanscholo said:
And people wonder why i despise the AFL. Back in the days before they were predatory and highly competative with the NRL i liked the AFL. I just refuse to watch it now, how dare they try and destroy RL.

Typical Melbourne Jan Brady syndrome, they must force their game down our throats, THEY MUST BE THE BEST, get f**ked, ill watch the league. lol, its rather amusing tbh.

If i used that mentality then i wouldn't be supporting the storm, i would have blamed them for taking sponsorship money from fitzroy and forcing a centry old club to the wall. This is just the way sport works now, every league wants a team on the gold coast because its a growth center; thats the same reason why league wants a team in perth and not in darwin.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
chuck in Adelaide with Darwin (aging pop.)

melbstormer, huge diff between league and AFL is the arrogance and lies spouted from its head offices "we are a national code etc", also being a leaguie, the NRL/ARL's adminstration is frustrating, so we take out that anger against reasonably good admin. Also, AFL wouldn't be anywhere near league in this country if not for the SL war, so there is some sour grapes about that

melbstormer

Juniors
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
chuck in Adelaide with Darwin (aging pop.)

melbstormer, huge diff between league and AFL is the arrogance and lies spouted from its head offices "we are a national code etc", also being a leaguie, the NRL/ARL's adminstration is frustrating, so we take out that anger against reasonably good admin. Also, AFL wouldn't be anywhere near league in this country if not for the SL war, so there is some sour grapes about that

The AFL are only trying to grow aussie rules, just like the NRL is trying to grow rugby league. Every sporting league is going to spin participation numbers and use "national code" to sprook their game to consumers and the NRL is no different, the difference being the AFL is larger at the moment. Getting bitter about the super league is not going to bring rugby league forward, neither is bashing the AFL, it just looks sad. As i said if i was living in the past i wouldn't of started to support the storm, i still like watching the AFL but im not going to start getting angry with the NRL and act to destory it for moving into victoria when fitzroy left.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
melbstormer said:
If i used that mentality then i wouldn't be supporting the storm, i would have blamed them for taking sponsorship money from fitzroy and forcing a centry old club to the wall.

Huh?

Fitzroy Lions- Merged with Bears in 1996
Melbourne Storm - Founded in 1998

melbstormer

Juniors
Lockyer4President! said:
Huh?

Fitzroy Lions- Merged with Bears in 1996
Melbourne Storm - Founded in 1998

Well if you want to be petty and get into semantics they have been taking money from the Victorian Government since 1996; but i think the point of what is was saying is more important.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
melbstormer said:
Well if you want to be petty and get into semantics they have been taking money from the Victorian Government since 1996; but i think the point of what is was saying is more important.

:?
WTF are you talking about?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
melbstormer said:
A Melbourne team wasn't even on the agenda for the ARL in 1996, what are you talking about?

thommo4pm

Coach
In any case, let the AFL do what they want, who gives a rats.
The Rugby League World Cup for next year was launched yesterday.
The tournament is going to be massive here next year, and League is getting set to crush all other codes from this point on.
Let the AFL piss their money up against the wall, the Gold Coast will be League territory for many a year to come.

League will start to flex it's muscle as the whole of Australia sees we are an International code next year, this will also kill off the wallabies.
The only reason the Wallabies were still going well is because people didn't realise that the International League scene was still alive.

AFL will be based purely in the southern states of Australia, and confined to that forever.

League is growing Internationally which will only mean it will grow domestically also. :D

t-ba

Post Whore
The AFL Drove Fitzroy to the wall after it refused to take their medicine like the Swans did and move to Brisbane.

Rugby League had nothing to do with it!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
thommo4pm said:
In any case, let the AFL do what they want, who gives a rats.
The Rugby League World Cup for next year was launched yesterday.
The tournament is going to be massive here next year, and League is getting set to crush all other codes from this point on.
Let the AFL piss their money up against the wall, the Gold Coast will be League territory for many a year to come.

League will start to flex it's muscle as the whole of Australia sees we are an International code next year, this will also kill off the wallabies.
The only reason the Wallabies were still going well is because people didn't realise that the International League scene was still alive.

AFL will be based purely in the southern states of Australia, and confined to that forever.

League is growing Internationally which will only mean it will grow domestically also. :D

Don't count your chickens just yet...

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Yeah im not that positive, but i agree with you, our strength will come through the INTL arena. This WC is for profit's sake, the next one the teams will go up a notch, and IMO the one after that is the coming of INTL league... so 8 years from now.