What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFLBC

gUt

Coach
ABC very careful not to name the code of football, protecting the fumblecult as usual.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/man-given-suspended-jail-term-for-umpire-assault/6906128

Man avoids jail over 'despicable' umpire assault at amateur football match in WA's South-West

A man who assaulted an umpire after his team lost the grand final of an amateur football match in Western Australia has narrowly avoided an immediate jail term.

Jeffery Archie Humphries, 25, pleaded guilty in Bunbury Magistrates Court to assault occasioning bodily harm.

The court heard Humphries went onto the field after the South West Football League reserves grand final in September and deliberately ran into the umpire.

Before the assault, Humphries told 24-year-old umpire Brenton Bartlett that his "umpiring was shithouse".

Mr Bartlett's injuries included a split lip, a blood nose and swelling around his gums.

The court was told Humphries had consumed a few drinks and was upset that his club, Carey Park Football Club, had lost.

His lawyer said her client had since realised he had done the wrong thing.

The prosecution argued for a jail term to be imposed, saying it would act as a deterrent to others.

"It's a serious assault of a man simply umpiring a game of football," Sergeant Barry Phelps told the court.

Umpires face too much aggression

Magistrate Dianne Scaddan said she was not surprised the case had received significant media attention because Humphries had behaved in a "despicable manner".

"There is far too much aggravation and aggression aimed at umpires," Ms Scaddan said.

"Umpires probably expect to be subject of abuse at football matches, they don't expect to be assaulted."

Ms Scaddan told Humphries if he could not deal with losing, he should stop going to the football.

She agreed there was a need for "significant general deterrence" and said a fine would not be sufficient.

Ms Scaddan said the only appropriate sentence was a term of imprisonment, but she suspended the sentence as it was Humphries' first violent offence.

Humphries was sentenced to eight months' jail, suspended for eight months and was ordered to pay $2,500 to his victim.

Ms Scaddan said if that sentence did not deter other people from assaulting umpires then she did not know what would.

Offender apologises for angry attack

Outside court, Humphries apologised to his victim and his much loved Carey Park Football Club.

"I was just angry, caught up in the moment," he said.

"I'm sorry for what I did and I feel a lot of regret and remorse, and I'm happy that it's over and done with now.

"I just want to apologise to my football club as well, Carey Park Footy Club, and I'm sorry for bringing all this unwanted attention on them."

gUt

Coach
Here's an ostensibly positive story for the victorian game, and they can't cram enough mentions of "AFL" in the piece:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-10/afl-womens-academy-kicks-off-ahead-of-2017-season/6926184
Women's AFL: Football academy prepares female players for inaugural 2017 national league

Meanwhile there is no mention of the ex Brisbane Lions player Albert Proud who is facing attempted murder charges against his girlfriend. This from the news organization that is keeping a running tally on domestic violence incidents in 2015.

LESStar58

Referee
Where is someone the calibre of a Melinda Farrell writing pieces about women's rugby league? Not just the Jillaroos but the Women's Origin and the female Koori knockout comps?

gUt

Coach
Originally Posted by Damian Barrett
Quite incredibly, Hird is not the worst part of this two-person chat
https://twitter.com/barrettdamian/st...52827120406528

Originally Posted by Richard Hinds
Terrible to see someone drag their reputation through the mud like this. Not going well for #Hird either.
https://twitter.com/rdhinds/status/688651785364353024

Originally Posted by Jill Stark
Rare to see a journalist so publicly and willingly destroy their own professional credibility. #Hird
https://twitter.com/jillastark/statu...54935336947712

Hird comes across as a sanctimonious s#it playing the 'victim' card, throwing mud at everyone else to extricate himself from a pit of his on devise.

Quite seriously, nauseating on so many levels.

Surely even some of the rusted on barnacles at AFL House and within the AFL supporter base have to really be questioning the integrity of Hird, the players, the management and club of Essendon, and some at AFL House and sections of the media.

gUt

Coach
James Hird says Essendon had no intention to cheat the system after players copped doping bans

Key points:

James Hird says he had no overseeing role in supplements program
Club doctor had to approve all supplements
Only sports scientist Stephen Dank knew what went into player injections
Hird says he will be haunted by players being remembered as drug cheats

Former Essendon coach James Hird insists he had no intention to cheat the system after 34 past and present Bombers players were banned amid the doping scandal that engulfed the AFL club.

Speaking to the ABC in an exclusive interview at The Ethics Centre in Sydney, Hird said he had no overseeing role in the supplements program.

Earlier this week the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld an appeal by the World Anti-Doping Authority against an AFL tribunal decision to clear the players of taking the banned substance thymosin-beta 4.

The players were suspended from the sport for 12 months.

"I wasn't part of that overseeing role. I was part of the Essendon Football Club in a senior role at the time," Hird told the ABC.

"There was no experimental program that went on. It wasn't of a pharmaceutical nature.

"There was no intention by anyone and (sports scientist) Stephen Dank included, in my belief, to cheat the system."

Hird coached Essendon from 2010 until he stood down from his position late in the 2015 season, with much of his reign dogged by speculation, investigations and court cases.

He said the program had to be approved by former fitness coach Dean Robinson, but protocols were broken which ultimately led to the players' bans.

"I am not a scientist or a doctor, so I don't want to talk about or go into areas of science which I don't understand. It is not my specialty," Hird said.

"The idea around the program was that it was a healthy program for the players to become better footballers and look after them later in life so they didn't become old [with] arthritis like a lot of us have.

"The doctor had to approve everything. The reason the doctor had to approve everything was because he is the one that knows the most about medicine.

"At certain times, I believe the protocols weren't adhered to and that didn't happen. That was very disappointing."

Hird said the only person who knew what was in the injections given to players was Dank, but he saw no reason why the sports scientist would have put illegal substances in the supplements.

"I don't see why he would do it? What would be the purpose for him to do it? It doesn't make any sense as to why he would do it," Hird said.

Hird describes days leading up to 'blackest day in Australian sport'

Hird described the days leading up to the "blackest day in Australian sport", when the scandal about to engulf the club was announced, saying it threw the Bombers into chaos.

"(Essendon chairman) David Evans came into my office at the club. We just finished a practice game, the boys were in great form. It was an exciting time for us," Hird said.

"He came in and said, 'The AFL believes we have been giving our players performance-enhancing drugs'.

"I was shocked. I just couldn't believe what he was talking about. My first question was 'Where is the evidence, what are you talking about?'"

Hird said he was called to a meeting at Evans's house that night.

"During that meeting, David was called out to a phone call and came back in and said '(then AFL boss) Andrew Demetriou said it is definitely us'.

"From that moment we were thrown into chaos. I remember getting to the club the next morning at 7:00am, looking for documentary evidence that what had been given to our players, that it was compliant with AFL, ASADA and WADA rules like we had asked in the protocols.

"I found the forms that the players had signed. I looked through those forms and those forms talked about how everything they were given was compliant."

Players being seen as drug cheats will haunt me: Hird

Hird said the fact his players will be remembered as drug cheats will haunt him for a long time.

"Stephen Dank can say for certain what they were injected with. But if that is the case, if no-one can say for certain what they were injected with, how can 34 men be found guilty by CAS?" he said.

"I can understand people saying that the club can't say what they were injected with.

"But CAS cannot say what they were injected with. You are asking the players to prove their innocence.

"I don't want history to see those players as drug cheats. That is what will haunt me."

Hird said the saga had taken a huge toll on his family and personal life.

"My children have lived it, my oldest daughter is 16. She has seen it. My youngest son is six. It has been a huge part of his life," he said.

"As I said, that victim role for us, it has to be about the players.

"We can sit back with my friends and my family and talk about it in private, but I think that the real impact is on 34 players."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-17/james-hird-supplements-saga-essendon/7094054?section=sport

no name

Coach
Hird comes across as a sanctimonious s#it playing the 'victim' card, throwing mud at everyone else to extricate himself from a pit of his on devise.

Quite seriously, nauseating on so many levels.

Surely even some of the rusted on barnacles at AFL House and within the AFL supporter base have to really be questioning the integrity of Hird, the players, the management and club of Essendon, and some at AFL House and sections of the media.

Of course they have, he is doing quite a job on himself in the media, they are letting him look like the fool he is.

gUt

Coach
AFLBC opinion piece, written by a Victorian, that:

a) Paints the Essington systematic use of performance enhancing drugs as a societal issue,
b) Whines that the drugs the players took didn't really even do that much, and;
c) Asks what's so wrong with drug cheating in sports anyway?

Oh and the comments are disabled due to "unforseen circumstances".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-14/kerr-the-war-on-drugs-in-another-guise/7088288

Essendon and the failure of the war on drugs

For all the coverage the forbidden thymosin beta-4 has attracted, it is still hard to say what performance enhancement it is meant to provide. That says a lot about the current approach to anti-doping, writes Jack Kerr.

"It is perfectly OK to demand that all sports should be totally free of doping," says Oxford bioethicist Julian Savulescu. "But that is not realistic."

Replace the words "sports" with "communities", and "doping" with "drugs", and you might start to think the war on doping is simply the war on drugs in another guise.

Given the never-ending cascade of doping scandals, the World Anti-Doping Authority's punitive approach certainly appears to be as ineffective - at least as a preventative measure - as the war on drugs.

There are other parallels to be drawn too.

A major criticism of the war on drugs is the way it funnels users into the prison system. You might wonder if the anti-doping movement has reached the same overzealousness.

In WADA's eyes, there has seemed to be little difference between a state-sponsored doping regime, which can make women's bodies masculine through years of systematic and clandestine hormone therapy, and a player pulling bongs on game day.

Which perhaps highlights the authority's moralistically biased, prohibitionist underpinnings.

"The USA was very keen to have it (marijuana) included (on the banned-substances list)," said Richard Pound, one of the founders of WADA. "From a sports perspective, I was rather ambivalent."

Savulescu, meanwhile, told Der Spiegel: "The mistake people make in their absolute zero tolerance approach is to put all the performance enhancers into one category."

Which seems to be what caught Essendon out. For all the coverage the forbidden thymosin beta-4 has attracted, it is still hard to say what performance enhancement it is meant to provide. It may just be the sport science equivalent of smoking banana peels.

"Modern drug cheats are not the East German she-men of the 1980s," wrote The Australian's Chip Le Grand. It would appear that way.

A Google search - encouraged now as a form of research by the Court of Arbitration for Sport - suggests thymosin beta-4 is an effective aid in a player's recovery, which will help them train better, and perform better.

And for this, the AFL and the Essendon Football Club, along with their players and fans, have had to deal with a relentless campaign of allegations, investigations and innuendo, and now a two-year-ban and the life sentence that is the label "drug cheat".

"Doping is little different to taking glucose during a race to help you perform as well as you can," Savulescu says elsewhere. "It's not removing the human element in the way that giving athletes bionic limbs would."

Writer Malcolm Gladwell even argues that doping could serve to provide a truly level playing field, where genetic disadvantages can be overcome.

Elite sports is currently, he says, "a contest among wildly disparate groups of people, who approach the starting line with an uneven set of genetic endowments and natural advantages".

Some, for example, have a natural stamina that most cyclists can only achieve through "blood doping".

The demand for athletes to be clean has, he says, "burdened high-level competition with a contradiction":

We want sports to be fair and we take elaborate measures to make sure that no one competitor has an advantage over any other. But how can a (competition between those with different genetic make-ups) ever be a contest among equals?

Access to such genetic bridges does naturally favour well-resourced athletes, teams, and nations. But that is true in all areas of legalised competitive advantage: from better facilities to improved sports analytics. Ever wondered why Australia consistently beats Zimbabwe in the pool?

The AFL signed up to the WADA code under pressure from the Howard government, and the threat of funding cuts. The league's reluctance stemmed, in part, from its own preferred harm-minimisation approach to recreational drugs.

Now it has discovered how cruel WADA sanctions can be in a team-environment. While an Olympic athlete can pick and choose their support staff - coaches, doctors, nutritionists, and other people who can provide them banned substances - an AFL player may not even be able to choose which state they live in.

Just as the US imposed its war on drugs on the rest of world, WADA's fight against doping is what Brendan Schwab, head of a major international union representing athletes and footballers, calls a "global one-size-fits-all approach".

"WADA has unfortunately, by trying to impose itself, resulted in a whole series of manifest injustices on players without actually solving the problem of cheating in sport," Schwab told Radio National earlier this week.

Such a body does not appear to be the antidote to the state-sponsored doping production line but a similar kind of terror, imposing its will on what a person will do with their body.

All of this comes at a price, of course. The war on drugs has been repeatedly described as as a trillion-dollar failure, and while anti-doping measures don't require that kind of funding, it does chew up money which could spent elsewhere.

It "raises the question of whether 'clean sport' is more important than, say, the National Disability Insurance Scheme", notes UNSW's Jason Mazanov.

"The war on drugs has failed, and it seems reasonable to assume the war on drugs in sport is going to end the same way."

docbrown

Coach
AFLBC opinion piece, written by a Victorian, that:

a) Paints the Essington systematic use of performance enhancing drugs as a societal issue,
b) Whines that the drugs the players took didn't really even do that much, and;
c) Asks what's so wrong with drug cheating in sports anyway?

That "article" was f**king stupid. I just wasted a minute of my life and I blame you! :lol:

They whinge about genetic disadvantage -- who cares if white guys struggle at the 100m? Or that black guys can't play ice hockey? If you pump EVERYONE full of drugs won't that same dominating group still have an advantage because they're on the same drugs too? :lol: It makes no sense.

What's next? "Maybe we'll give the white guys uppers and the black guys downers." :lol:

They're advocating a system where it's no longer "who is the best athlete?" but instead "which athlete has the best pharmacist?".

Footy clubs will then start complaining that Essendon has a better Bio-Pharmacy department.

You go down this road and you may as well just give up on the notion of competitive sport all together. It will become meaningless.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ones aiming to be a national game that has set out to convince public perception its 'Australia's game' the other still can't make up its mind what it wants to be. You reap what you sow.

C'mon guys.. the AFL is setting out to convince public perception its "Australia's game" so they cant surely be criticised by the National Broadcaster right?

Rugby League is reaping what they are sowing because they haven't yet expanded to Perth.

gUt

Coach
That "article" was f**king stupid. I just wasted a minute of my life and I blame you! :lol:

Yep it doesn't matter how f**king stupid the opinion is, if it carries a message that mitigates harm to the AFL then it's fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts