What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFLBC

gUt

Coach
Work at the AFLBC and despite the evidence, want to paint the NRL as the worst behaved code? Ask for comment from an AFL-associated 'expert', of course:

http://www.uws.edu.au/school-of-social-sciences-and-psychology/ssap/key_people/academic_staff_directory/patsy_tremayne

I was previously a psychologist for the National Women's Water Polo team, before the 2000 and 2004 Olympic Games, and with the World University Games. Currently I am a psychologist with the AFL Players Association.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-28/pearce-video-shows-nrl-needs-more-education-sports-psychologists/7120612

Mitchell Pearce dog video puts spotlight on NRL culture, experts say players 'high risk-takers with impulsive behaviours'

Sports psychologists have called for increased player education in the wake of Sydney Rooster Mitchell Pearce's latest alcohol-fuelled incident, saying the NRL is plagued by scandals more than other sports and that players often lack impulse control.

Co-captain Pearce became the latest NRL player to land in hot water over inappropriate behaviour, after the release of a video showing him performing a lewd act on a dog on Australia Day.

His career is on the line and many have called for his sacking and major changes within the league.

Sports and performance psychologist Patsy Tremayne said the NRL was plagued by scandals more than other leagues.

"I sometimes feel that it happens more with the NRL than it does with, say rugby union or AFL," Dr Tremayne said.

"I think probably NRL players are recruited and don't always follow through with education.

"I know that in other codes often they are university-educated people, the NRL perhaps not quite so much."

Competitors in combative sports, like NRL, often lack in good impulse control, sports psychologist Daniel Dymond said.

"Those who thrive in those environments are high risk takers … and with risk-taking behaviour, comes impulsivity and with impulsivity comes inability to regulate behaviours, regulate yourself in moments of stress and also obviously with drug and alcohol," Dr Dymond said.

"So it's a really important thing we distinguish that these athletes are genuinely high risk-takers and with that comes impulsivity and impulsive behaviours.

"Obviously you can learn impulse control, but it's something that's incredibly adaptive for their environment."

Pearce was stood down from Roosters training and coach Trent Robinson said the club was investigating the issue alongside the NRL.

"We at the Sydney Roosters have found that Mitchell's behaviour was unacceptable," Robinson said.

'Needs to get a real job away from football'

Dr Tremayne said the NRL should look into more role-playing exercises for its players.

"Role-plays of situations where difficulties might arise such as the one that was on the video and try and see ways around them," Dr Tremayne said.

"This is how they develop resilience — finding ways to put themselves into simulated scenarios and learn ways to get out of them.

"I know the AFL does that, they have simulations. I'm sure the NRL could do that as well."

Macquarie University's Professor Catherine Lumby, who has worked with the NRL as a gender adviser, said the sport did undertake that kind of training but that it could not help everyone.

"I don't think realistically that we will eliminate all incidents like this, however it is how the NRL and the club respond now that matters," she said.

Professor Lumby said Pearce should be stood aside over the matter.

"I think this should be the end of his career," she said.

"That's not for me to decide, but I think he should not be able to get away with this.

"He's a high profile athlete, it just sends the wrong message and the NRL has to continue to show leadership on this issue."

The Australia Day incident was not the first time Pearce found himself under the spotlight for inappropriate behaviour.

He was fined $20,000 and stood down from an NRL match in 2014 following his role in an incident involving a woman in a Kings Cross nightclub.

Robinson said that would factor in the club's investigation.

"That will be discussed with the NRL, we're going through what we believe our course of action should be and we'll discuss that with the NRL so it's too difficult to make a comment on that at the moment," he said.

"I know people will have their views and that's your jobs to do that but for us at this time it's between us and the NRL."

mozza91

Coach
Utter garbage. Funnily enough they have no statistics or evidence to back up their ridiculous claims. AFL has more 'incidents' than Rugby League as is and the recent WADA case has shown that they have no problem hiding or at least trying to hide the games various indiscretions. The preferential treatment that AFL recieves from the media has always been amazingly blatent.

Union is different as there are far less professional players and due to it's lack of a profile the public would only recognize a precious few of them if they were involved in an incident like the Mitchell Pearce one.

mongoose

Coach
This was on triple J's hack show today. I think it was the same woman who they got to speak on the show about the Pearce incident and she could barely contain herself when given the opportunity to sink the boot into the NRL. It was just agenda driven rubbish.

I wonder what these people who are so horrified by Mitchel Pearce's behaviour think of Albert Proud? The Brisbane Lions player who bashed his girlfriends head into a pulp, making her lose over a litre of blood and go to brain injury rehabilitation for months. I'm not sure if an NRL player has ever assaulted a woman to that level.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anecdotally Seems NRL has more drunk idiot behaviour, afl more serious crime behaviour. Be interesting to chart them over last three years, and union, to see who really are the worse offenders. Triple J was a hatchet job but if you don't give them the fuel they can't Stoke the fire!

mongoose

Coach
i liked the part where she basically said University educated people are better human beings than those that aren't lol

gUt

Coach
Anecdotally Seems NRL has more drunk idiot behaviour, afl more serious crime behaviour. Be interesting to chart them over last three years, and union, to see who really are the worse offenders. Triple J was a hatchet job but if you don't give them the fuel they can't Stoke the fire!

You've changed your tune

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not at all, my suspicion is that both codes are about equal in dckheads who can't behave themselves, probably about the same % as the dckhead sin general population I see around the pubs of Perth who don't know when enough is enough and can't behave. Afl control the media better so it often doesn't make national headlines unless there is a serious crime committed, media loves to roast NRL at every occasion these boofheads present them. ABC are not much different, most of the presenters on triple j seem to be from Victoria and follow afl and I suspect a lot of the abc exec are also afl or union fans with no great love of RL.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

LESStar58

Referee
Doesn't Copley have a law or an engineering degree?

Oh and Christian Welch from Storm is doing a Bachelor of Economics or similar at Melbourne university.

cleary89

Coach
Doesn't Copley have a law or an engineering degree?

Oh and Christian Welch from Storm is doing a Bachelor of Economics or similar at Melbourne university.

Half the dragons team have completed or are attending uni (it's actually been one of my criticisms, we don't need smart nice guys, we need some big mean islanders). They started up a program with the uni of wollongong and now is trying to be adopted by other clubs.

I had a mate doing commerce and ben creagh was in one of his subjects, would turn up every monday with black eyes or similar. My mate said pretty much everyone in the class had no idea who he was but he was fan struck lol.

cleary89

Coach
Found the program

http://www.dragons.com.au/info/gol.html

Achievements To Date

The following list outlines some of the achievements from the GOL program in 2013:

• Mentored and enrolled a total of 25 players from across three NRL Clubs

• Assisted nine new players in their consideration, application, enrolment and orientation into UOW as well as guiding an additional 10 players through the application process for 2014.

• Assisted with the enrolment, accommodation and transition of all new players

• Managed 27 peer tutors across five faculties and collected weekly progress reports on each player

• Coordinated the five weekly playing and training schedules of all players with their tutors and subject coordinators

• Implemented a research and evaluation project and completed an ethics application

• Achieved positive local and national exposure at NRL conferences, print media, radio and television

• Improved social inclusion objectives with 70% of our NRL players at university being from regional areas, 36% from Indigenous or Islander, 60% are first person in family at university and 80% are earning less than $10,000 per annum

• Program coordination with NRL club recruitment to ensure that future players have access to the GOL program at UOW

LESStar58

Referee

gUt

Coach
"AFL" carefully left out of this story:

Footballer Paul Dimattina pleads not guilty to punching whiskey distillery boss

Former Western Bulldogs football player Paul Dimattina has pleaded not guilty to punching a whisky distillery boss over a bill dispute, in Hobart Magistrates Court.

Dimattina played 131 games for the Bulldogs before he was delisted in 2003.

It is alleged he punched the manager of the distillery in the face at The Nant Whisky Cellar and Bar in Hobart on a night out last year.

The 41-year-old has pleaded not guilty to the assault charge and will reappear in court in April.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-11/footballer-paul-dimattina-pleads-not-guilty-to-punching-man/7159278

Latest posts