What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alan Tounge

Walt Flanigan

Referee
A sad but inevitable day for the Raiders. An awesome career and inspirational leader that punched well above his weight. Furner should have never played him at hooker.

What an absolute legend. Feel so sorry for the poor guy. He probably knew better than anyone that he wasn't up to it anymore, at least at hooker.

An absolute legend of the green. At his peak should have represented NSW during a period of QLD dominance which required a player of heart and leadership. Lets not forget he won Dally M hooker of the year and captain of the year in 2008. One year later he is thrust into an unfamiliar position by a clueless 'coach' and tonguey is a shadow of his former self. I hope tongues last couple of years don't tarnish the rest of his career.

If the last couple years do indeed tarnish the career of alan tongue then a certain coach of ours has a lot to answer for.

But anyway, Well done alan on an amazing career and the selflessness in putting a club you and all the fans love before yourself.

Absolute champion and one of my favourite players ever.

Lets pack out canberra stadium for his farewell!

Apey

Staff member
Lets not forget he won Dally M hooker of the year and captain of the year in 2008. One year later he is thrust into an unfamiliar position by a clueless 'coach' and tonguey is a shadow of his former self.

So he forgot how to play hooker?

A great leader, player and ambassador for our proud club.

Having spoken to him a couple of times over the years I can safely if there were more Alan Tongue's in this world, the world would be a better place.

Paullyboy

Coach
This is fantastic news. Alan Tongue is an absolute Raiders legend and I feared he was doing everyone (himself and the club) harm by continuing. I'm ecstatic that he was a one-club man and will always remember him for being one of the toughest and passionate club men going around. It's a terrible shame that he is going out amidst our most humiliating season ever, but it's better than him hanging around for one more year and being relegated to the QLD Cup (or whatever our feeder team is next year).

Thanks Tonguey, great knock!

So he forgot how to play hooker?

Old mate made a typo, he was Dally M Lock of the Year (not hooker - he was never a hooker and never should have had it forced upon him).

Apey

Staff member
fair enough, I can barely remember last year's Dally M awards let alone 2008's..

gerg

Juniors
Absolute legend & gentleman - and with that in mind could a mod please edit the thread title to spell Tongue's name correctly.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A stalwart of our club and a guy who while not the most talented made up for it in guts and team spirit. He'll be remembered as a bloke who put in every week and an excellent ambassador for our club and the game.

I wish him well.

carcharias

Immortal
what was that placard of some description somebody held up ...something about a big willie and tongue???

Raider_69

Post Whore
RL has lost one of its finest today. Sad day.
As for people wanting to use this to make a point about Furner, you're embarrassing yourselves.

Today is a day about celebrating a fine career and one of the true gentleman of the game.
One day the NRL will stop making the face of their game, tattoo'd up youngsters with drinking problems and instead put the game in the hands (or faces as it were) of people like Hindy, Petro and Tonguey. The NRL will be poorer for his absence next year.

edabomb

First Grade
RL has lost one of its finest today. Sad day.
As for people wanting to use this to make a point about Furner, you're embarrassing yourselves.

Today is a day about celebrating a fine career and one of the true gentleman of the game.
One day the NRL will stop making the face of their game, tattoo'd up youngsters with drinking problems and instead put the game in the hands (or faces as it were) of people like Hindy, Petro and Tonguey. The NRL will be poorer for his absence next year.

Furner was only mentioned once in this thead :lol:

Nothing wrong with people discussing him being played out of position his final few years, it's one of the key points of his career.

Certainly one of the classiest guys in the NRL. I'm sure he'll be around the game for a long time yet.