What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

perverse

Referee
And Knights fans, we get it, Snowden's suspension was grossly unfair. Please stop using that as a guide for all history to come.
The first time it's been brought up since the incident and suddenly it's a guide for all of history.

You're on fire.

Kiwi

First Grade
Was he tackle illegal, yes I think so just watched it. Lifting between the legs and up past the horizontal for sure on both. Do you take the injury to the player into account? If not 1 maybe 2 weeks for the bloke lifting between the legs, if you do he could be looking at 6+ weeks. As harsh as some might think this is you have to look at the tackle not the injury, because if you look at possible injury every shoulder charge, high tackle, crusher, lifting tackle, head slam, etc will result in very long suspensions every time. So 1 - 2 weeks, it wasn't as bad as many of the spear tackles I have seen over time, it's unfortunately the one that shows what damage can be done.

franklin2323

Immortal
Im not making any comment on who was at fault or who wasn't.

But surely the extent of an injury shouldn't have any bearing on any suspension.

This. The result is horrible but it doesn't make the tackle any better or worse as a result

Stinkler

Juniors
We already have though.

So what is it? "Sorry Knights, what Snowden did was careless and caused a serious injury so he can have 7 weeks...actually make it 10".

Or

"Sorry Knights, it doesn't matter that a Storm player did something careless and had potentially ended a 22-year-old's career...we don't determine suspensions based on injuries"

Don't forget that Snowden had some loading applied too, however most people agree his suspension was far too harsh.

That shouldn't be a precedent for all future cases. Rather, it should be an anomaly.

Let me pose these questions,
1) If McKinnon gets up and plays on, what suspension should be handed out to the Storm player/s?
2) Knowing the extent of McKinnon's injury, what suspension should be dished out to the Storm player/s?

perverse

Referee
I think the issue is more that it has been brought up about 50 times in the space of half an hour.

Move on.
I.e all of history. Yep. Grats.

It's a relevant point of discussion given the soft nature of each incident. If you don't like it, don't f**king read and respond to it.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I.e all of history. Yep. Grats.

It's a relevant point of discussion given the soft nature of each incident. If you don't like it, don't f**king read and respond to it.

Arguing precedent over an injustice done before is a geniused point regardless. If you don't like having that pointed out to you, then feel free to get your panties in a twis...

Never mind.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I hope its not as bad we think. Feel for Alex and hope he makes a speedy recovery. :(

We dont want this to happen to any player.

And yes the tackle was illegal because he was put in a dangerous position.

Will he the Storm player get a lenghthy suspension based on the injury? Who knows.

The main concern is Alex McKinnon

oikee

Juniors
The hate for the storm knows no boundaries on here.
The tackle was hardly even a lift, he tucked his head under in a slightly above horizontal tackle. So he was always going to kink his neck.
As for Smith talking to the ref, he is the captain.
Sterling created this nonsense by saying he didn't think he should be talking to the ref about his players involvement, really. ?
It's all about drama, something for the water coolers.
Sterlo has a way of trying to create drama, he is the queen of drama.

The whole incident is a accident. Nothing more, nothing less.
You only need to look at the way everyone here is carrying on, why, because they love to be involved in that drama.
Wish him well and move on, every player was concerned for his safety, and as i said, the next time someone gets penalised for above the horizontal, dont call it a soft penalty.

Our commentators are the reason why people are leaving and walking away from the code. They create hysteria when their should be little said.
Sattler wont be the last to walk away. And Crowds have dropped on last years drop, and viewers have turned off.
It's sad but very true, the commentating and ex-league players are what is turning the people away.
Somehow you feel a little dumber when you try to watch these ex=players explain things. Only a few years ago all was OK with the Biff and High tackles and players being soft, by Sterlo, By Matt Johns, even By Geyer, now they have all changed their tunes and they all seem like a bunch of hypocrites.

And Rabs is no longer calling the game, he is just shouting at the TV.
The game is stale, the Yawn factor is reaching high levels, and viewers have lost faith in the code.
Then they give them second class viewing times and its little wonder the game has dissolved into a cesspool of terrible wit and humourless nonsense.

northwest9

Juniors
I hope its not as bad we think. Feel for Alex and hope he makes a speedy recovery. :(

We dont want this to happen to any player.

And yes the tackle was illegal because he was put in a dangerous position.

Will he the Storm player get a lenghthy suspension based on the injury? Who knows.

The main concern is Alex McKinnon

seems to me that the main concern for many knights fans isnt for mckinnon, but instead for snowdens suspension

but but but snowden got 7 weeks....

fmd

perverse

Referee
Arguing precedent over an injustice done before is a geniused point regardless. If you don't like having that pointed out to you, then feel free to get your panties in a twis...

Never mind.
Please explain to me how a precedent being set at the judiciary isn't relevant?

You know what precedents are and how they work in determining future rulings, yes?

Swarzey

Bench
seems to me that the main concern for many knights fans isnt for mckinnon, but instead for snowdens suspension

fmd

Yes, we're more concerned about a Storm player spending time on the bench than the career of McKinnon.

f**k me, wake up.

northwest9

Juniors
Yes, we're more concerned about a Storm player spending time on the bench than the career of McKinnon.

f**k me, wake up.

if your all so concerned about mckinnon, why is snowden relevant atm.

this thread was about mckinnon, not snowden

perverse

Referee

fmd
Our concern is seeing that justice be done at the judiciary as it always seems to get handed out to us. We've just had a blokes future put in absolute jeopardy, not just his football future but his entire life in general... yet everyone seems to be happy to give them guy responsible a slap on the wrist, or nothing at all, despite a precedent being set for severe injuries getting taken into account for such matters.

Of course we're all deeply concerned about Alex you f**king plonker. I'd say we're probably a bit emotional about it at the moment even. Trying to twist this to make us look insensitive is f**king moronic.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The main concern for Smith clearly wasn't Mckinnon. It was to bitch about a completely fair penalty.

Again, I am sure the Storm players didn't intentionally try to hurt Mckinnon. That doesn't mean there is no case for a long suspension.

Stinkler

Juniors
Dangerous Throw Gradings and Points
Grade 1 = 125points
Grade 2 = 325points
Grade 3 = 525points
Grade 4 = 725points
Grade 5 = 925points

To get 7 weeks they have to hit him with a Grade 4.
It's not a Grade 4 offence.

and precedents are only relevant when they are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.