What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parra

Referee
And before you ask - the tackling style should be dealt with more harshly in rugby as well.

As far as this goes, the code has nothing to do with it.

georgesnmith

Juniors
And before you ask - the tackling style should be dealt with more harshly in rugby as well.

As far as this goes, the code has nothing to do with it.

ill leave you to your dubious moral high ground

im off to read Big League and League Week, thats a more fruitful use of my time.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Graham Lowe thinks the game is going to kill someone

i wonder how many people 9 rang before they found someone who'd go on air and say something stupid like that

meercat

Juniors
NRL Judiciary frustrates Knights

Thu 3rd April, 04:00PM

The Newcastle Knights is frustrated with the inconsistencies in relation to the NRL Judiciary following Jordan McLean’s seven-week suspension.

Firstly, the Club takes great offence to suggestions Alex McKinnon contributed to his injury when he was totally helpless in a three-man tackle and left with no ability to protect himself.

Secondly, the Club is disappointed only McLean was charged. His defence acknowledged the involvement of his two teammates in the tackle contributed to Alex's injury, however they have escaped penalty.

Thirdly, the Club applaud the NRL’s decision to postpone the hearing while everyone focused on Alex’s recovery, however found it insensitive McLean was permitted to play before Wednesday's hearing.

Finally, while the Club understands the length of suspension was always going to polarize opinion, the major disappointment lies in the grave inconsistencies of gradings, especially in comparison to recent cases.

The Club agrees there are no winners in this matter and will continue to lobby the NRL to drive change so this devastating event doesn't occur again.
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/04/03/nrl_judiciary_frustrates_knights.html

BunniesMan

Immortal
Fair statement from the Knights.

So much more needs to be done.

Put every player on report who lifts, stop ignoring it when there is no broken neck.

And before we did something as drastic as banning the 3 man tackle I'd prefer it if it was tried out in trial games to see how it goes.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Firstly, the Club takes great offence to suggestions Alex McKinnon contributed to his injury when he was totally helpless in a three-man tackle and left with no ability to protect himself.
Agreed

Secondly, the Club is disappointed only McLean was charged. His defence acknowledged the involvement of his two teammates in the tackle contributed to Alex's injury, however they have escaped penalty.
Disagree. The other two players did nothing wrong.

Thirdly, the Club applaud the NRL’s decision to postpone the hearing while everyone focused on Alex’s recovery, however found it insensitive McLean was permitted to play before Wednesday's hearing.
Disagree. Can't suspend a player who hasn't even been found guilty.

Finally, while the Club understands the length of suspension was always going to polarize opinion, the major disappointment lies in the grave inconsistencies of gradings, especially in comparison to recent cases.
Agreed. Hopefully more people will start questioning the judiciary & something can be done about it.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Lol the other 2 players did nothing illegal. McLean was the only person who did something illegal which caused the chain of events after that.

It'll be like me driving down the road and some car pulls out in front and crashes into me which causes my car to cross the other side of the road and hit another car. The driver who pulled out in front of me takes responsibility for the whole accident because he caused the chain of events to unfold.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just heard on Sports Today on 2UE that players are not entitled to workers compensation.

Reason being that they are contracted and not direct employees of the club.

A player effectively then has to have their own insurance.

Looks like fundraising is going to play a big part.

Last edited:

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Didn't like that media release. Ill advised and ill timed. They have asked for privacy and sensitivity yet release a statement that will cause more of a stir. I'd even go as far as to say that it isn't very classy in how it states that the other two involved in the tackle should have been suspended. Just leave those matters to the NRL and stop trying to create a bigger issue. We know a lot of people are emotional but calling for mass suspensions isn't the way to fix things.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah can't agree one bit with charging the Bromwich boys.

I can agree however that McLean probably should have been stood down last week. But no big deal.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Agreed Beau Scott was the instigator of two lifting/above the horizontal tackles in that very match, yet got off Scott free. I wonder what the viewpoint of the Knights on those particular tackles are? Surly they agree that he should also be charged and suspended for at least 7 weeks?

Snappy

Coach
Agreed Beau Scott was the instigator of two lifting/above the horizontal tackles in that very match, yet got off Scott free. I wonder what the viewpoint of the Knights on those particular tackles are? Surly they agree that he should also be charged and suspended for at least 7 weeks?

What a ridiculous statement. Did either of those tackles result in serious injury ?

The Judiciary made it quite clear last year that the outcome affects the punishment. Why do people still fail to understand that ?

perverse

Referee
They did say recent cases, as in those that had been referred to the judiciary.

nick87

Coach
Didn't like that media release. Ill advised and ill timed. They have asked for privacy and sensitivity yet release a statement that will cause more of a stir. I'd even go as far as to say that it isn't very classy in how it states that the other two involved in the tackle should have been suspended. Just leave those matters to the NRL and stop trying to create a bigger issue. We know a lot of people are emotional but calling for mass suspensions isn't the way to fix things.

Agreed.

eozsmiles

Bench
Banning 3 man tackles would make the game better. If a ball handler is stronger than TWO defenders he deserves to get something from that.

And it is common sense that 3 men handling 1 bloke is more dangerous than 1 man or 2 men.

Disregarding the first sentence, which is open to opinion, everything you have said makes sense for once.

Rod

Bench
Agreed

Disagree. The other two players did nothing wrong.

Thirdly, the Club applaud the NRL?s decision to postpone the hearing while everyone focused on Alex?s recovery, however found it insensitive McLean was permitted to play before Wednesday's hearing.
Disagree. Can't suspend a player who hasn't even been found guilty.

Agreed. Hopefully more people will start questioning the judiciary & something can be done about it.

+1. Agreed there.

I don't understand how releasing this statement is somehow hypocritical because we requested privacy though, that was in relation to Alex's condition (and in particular incorrect reporting on said condition) which has little to do with the judiciary process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts