What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumbidragon

First Grade
What a ridiculous statement. Did either of those tackles result in serious injury ?

The Judiciary made it quite clear last year that the outcome affects the punishment. Why do people still fail to understand that ?

So they weren't illegal tackles that should of been referred, regardless of injury or not? OK then Snappy. Should only refer coat hangers that result in an injured player to I guess...

Kilkenny

Coach
I have been away this week and have not had internet access so have only just got home and found out about the penalty imposed on young McLean by the NRL.

I must say I am shocked and disappointed about the penalty imposed.

The injury sustained is horrific and we are all united in our grief but to find young McLean guilty and impose a 7 week suspension is excessive to say the least. Very, very sad all round.

Swarzey

Bench
I really don't have an opinion on the suspension but it is something, regardless of the outcome was going to have such talk. This incident is split so heavily that they were simply not going to appeal to everyone. Incredibly sensitive issue and I don't envy their position last night at all but I hope this does set a precedent for lifting tackles, rather than making calls based on injury.

tumbidragon

First Grade
:lol: You said that Scott should have been suspended for 7 weeks, not just be referred
I was referring to the Knights statement where they said "the major disappointment lies in the grave inconsistencies of gradings, especially in comparison to recent cases." Surly that must also include inconsistencies of players not being charged for an offense where another player does?
I'd love to see more consistency of gradings at the judiciary, irrespective of injury caused. But I'd also like to see an improvement of consistency in regards to players being put on report...
The 7 week comment was merely tongue in cheek....

Last edited:

Surrogate

Juniors
They should amend the rules so that players cannot lift beyond 45 degrees. Because if you are using horizontal as a reference point, it's too late to react and modify your tackle.

thorson1987

Coach
I really don't have an opinion on the suspension but it is something, regardless of the outcome was going to have such talk. This incident is split so heavily that they were simply not going to appeal to everyone. Incredibly sensitive issue and I don't envy their position last night at all but I hope this does set a precedent for lifting tackles, rather than making calls based on injury.

Agreed.

After thinking about it a bit more today, I can understand the NRL adding on to it due to the injury (even though I disagree with it no matter who is facing judiciary).

magpie4ever

First Grade
Why?

I would have thought a statement was inevitable. And aside for looking for others to be charged, I don't disagree with any of the statement.

Because they have now become judge and jury with all things involved in this incident.

magpie4ever

First Grade
They should amend the rules so that players cannot lift beyond 45 degrees. Because if you are using horizontal as a reference point, it's too late to react and modify your tackle.

Seriously, you would need to take a protractor on the field.

thorson1987

Coach
Firstly, the Club takes great offence to suggestions Alex McKinnon contributed to his injury when he was totally helpless in a three-man tackle and left with no ability to protect himself.
Agreed

Secondly, the Club is disappointed only McLean was charged. His defence acknowledged the involvement of his two teammates in the tackle contributed to Alex's injury, however they have escaped penalty.
Disagree. The other two players did nothing wrong.

Thirdly, the Club applaud the NRL?s decision to postpone the hearing while everyone focused on Alex?s recovery, however found it insensitive McLean was permitted to play before Wednesday's hearing.
Disagree. Can't suspend a player who hasn't even been found guilty.

Finally, while the Club understands the length of suspension was always going to polarize opinion, the major disappointment lies in the grave inconsistencies of gradings, especially in comparison to recent cases.
Agreed. Hopefully more people will start questioning the judiciary & something can be done about it.

Agree with this.

Although on point 1, although I was hoping they wouldn't, the defense counsel wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't say it.

Swarzey

Bench
Agreed.

After thinking about it a bit more today, I can understand the NRL adding on to it due to the injury (even though I disagree with it no matter who is facing judiciary).

I can't say I disagree with it, being a Knights fan I feel like some justice is served given the the state of Alex's condition but I also can't agree with it as a rugby league fan when there wasn't much in the tackle and didn't deserve anything, when so many worse not only happened that weekend but in the game itself.

Just a really tough spot to make any sort of logical call on.

TheFrog

Coach
A player effectively then has to have their own insurance.

Insurance companies being what they are, that is businesses looking to make a profit, I find it highly unlikely that any liability caused by the illegal (under the rules of the sport) actions of any player would be covered by insurance.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
I can't say I disagree with it, being a Knights fan I feel like some justice is served given the the state of Alex's condition but I also can't agree with it as a rugby league fan when there wasn't much in the tackle and didn't deserve anything, when so many worse not only happened that weekend but in the game itself.

Just a really tough spot to make any sort of logical call on.

It is a really tough one, and as has been mentioned the NRL were in a no win situation.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just heard on Sports Today on 2UE that players are not entitled to workers compensation.

Reason being that they are contracted and not direct employees of the club.

A player effectively then has to have their own insurance.

Looks like fundraising is going to play a big part.

Bourbs was on Sportsnight last night saying the NRL and Men Of League had told the family they would never have to worry about a thing and that he would be looked after by them for the rest of his life

his family didn't want any charity at this stage though as they hadn't given up hope

The_Savage_1

Juniors
The NRL has today released a statement outlining the details of last night's judiciary hearing as well as the counselling and support provided to Storm forward Jordan McLean.

The NRL said today that counselling and other support is being provided for Storm forward Jordan McLean.
NRL Head of Football, Mr Todd Greenberg, said the welfare of Alex McKinnon continued to be at the forefront of everyone’s thoughts following his injury last week.
He said the NRL will look after the welfare of Jordan McLean as well.
“This is a tragic incident which has affected the lives of both Alex and Jordan and we need to do all we can to support them both,” Mr Greenberg said.
Mr Greenberg said the NRL had been in regular contact with the McKinnon family and the Newcastle club since the incident occurred and was offering assistance.
He said the Melbourne Storm was already offering counselling and support for Jordan, who was suspended for seven matches last night for a dangerous throw.
The NRL is in regular contact with the Storm to check on the welfare of Jordan and will provide additional assistance where requested.
Mr Greenberg said the NRL Judiciary Chairman, Mr Paul Conlon, had agreed to outline the details of last night’s judiciary decision, given the special circumstances surrounding the case.
The judiciary panel ruled that it was a grade 2 dangerous throw which carries 325 demerit points
A further 400 points were allocated after consideration by the panel of a range of factors including the injury suffered by Alex McKinnon.

“There has been no case like this in recent memory and it was always going to be a difficult case for the independent panel,” Mr Greenberg said.
“There is a process in place which was followed but it is clearly a tragic and extraordinary set of circumstance they were dealing with.”
Mr Greenberg said Melbourne Storm had seven days to seek leave to appeal the judiciary’s decision.

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2014/04/03/nrl_judiciary_statement.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts