What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alexander, Ennis & Anasta call for Sharks halves to be Trindall, Atkinson

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Yep. No half in the competition would have been able to conjure up a win against Melbourne the other day with the way the game went. They were just so much more physical than us and totally dominated us through the middle and the ruck. Not to mention Melbourne had a huge breeze with them in the first half.
DCE did. Cleary could have.

8 halfbacks played in these first semis. Phoenix Crossland was not the worst. Jake Clifford was not the worst. Etcetera.

sladden road

Juniors
The strange thing is, the evidence is clear.

I f**kn love the Nacho bit geez.

blah blah blah middles , blah blah blah errors, blah blah blah possession.

a million dollar player turns that tide. At least once this year.
As , In another fuggn thread I mentioned about Clearys return from his injury this week, before it happened.
As I said late May about Daniel Atkinson being better fit than Noco.
I may be looser than a Jack Williams carry and doing way to many fungi’s , yet it looks like most of you are mad.

Give Tindalthe keys amd The Next Immortal the “run first , pass second “ mentality, as every special player says is the key for halves, and that is what The Immortal has .

f**k. It is so clear. Been for months.
Nacho 14, 1 or 6 for the Dargons.
Unbelievable.
It is the fact that in this time period of the game, talent needs to be paid well, in a contract, over time..and that’s a gamble.

Sharks have over 6 million invested in Nico..
Shit.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Post Whore
While I agree with that, the stats from the weekend show he ran the ball every third time he touched it.

I don't think it's so much that he's not running, as to how he's running.
As others have said, he's way too lateral. Pretty much what you're saying with "He’s not taking the line on with any real purpose or force".
That's where his biggest improvement needs to come from, IMHO.
He's also camped on the short side too much. He'd probably do better with his Mr Krabs style if he was on the open with space. He gets so cramped up on the blind

Frenzy.

Post Whore
The strange thing is, the evidence is clear.

I f**kn love the Nacho bit geez.

blah blah blah middles , blah blah blah errors, blah blah blah possession.

a million dollar player turns that tide. At least once this year.
As , In another fuggn thread I mentioned about Clearys return from his injury this week, before it happened.
As I said late May about Daniel Atkinson being better fit than Noco.
I may be looser than a Jack Williams carry and doing way to many fungi’s , yet it looks like most of you are mad.

Give Tindalthe keys amd The Next Immortal the “run first , pass second “ mentality, as every special player says is the key for halves, and that is what The Immortal has .

f**k. It is so clear. Been for months.
Nacho 14, 1 or 6 for the Dargons.
Unbelievable.
nyah, nyah, nyah! LOL LOL

Craigshark

First Grade
DCE did. Cleary could have.

8 halfbacks played in these first semis. Phoenix Crossland was not the worst. Jake Clifford was not the worst. Etcetera.

I’d argue the bulldogs and roosters are totally different to Melbourne in Melbourne.. maybe Cleary, maybe.. difference is, the panthers bench forwards don’t come on and make stupid f**k ups constantly like Jack Williams seems to

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I agree that's the massive question that's hanging over Fitzy's head ... and I agree it will make or break his coaching career.

Nicho is not a half (6 or 7), it's time to end that experiment.
He is a running player, full stop.
If we keep him as a marquee player, the only position that could work is fullback.
It's where he played his best football for Melbourne.
I don't agree he hasn't got the legs for it ... if nothing else Nicho is an athlete ... with a full off season, he could do the prep.
But keep him well away from our kicking game !

Recruit Ilias as our 7.
Atko as our bench utility ... he's got a great mental attitude, but he doesn't create enough when he's playing in the halves full time.
Don't disagree except for DA as bench utility. Fitz couldn't even get him into the game the other night. Having them also causes imbalance on the bench - with the current forwards anyway. Perhaps AFB addresses that as a big minute prop because we'd need one to carry DA there.

The other thing I'm at odds with is recruiting a half? Why would we do that if we have DA and Trindall and Pollard waiting in the wings? That kid is the bomb.

Omnishark2

Juniors
Don't disagree except for DA as bench utility. Fitz couldn't even get him into the game the other night. Having them also causes imbalance on the bench - with the current forwards anyway. Perhaps AFB addresses that as a big minute prop because we'd need one to carry DA there.

The other thing I'm at odds with is recruiting a half? Why would we do that if we have DA and Trindall and Pollard waiting in the wings? That kid is the bomb.
Yep that's a fair call, it does waste a bench spot - I probably meant DA is more a backup half, rather than our starting half every week.

I don't think DA is creative enough - he's been great when he's been thrown in as a stopgap & is cool under pressure, but I don't feel he can unlock NRL defences if he's our regular half (eg the flick pass that Trindall put on for Nikora's try).

Pollard is at least 2 years away from what I've seen ... he *might* develop given time, but we need a better spine for 2025. I reckon Illias & Trindall would be a good combo.

If Fitzy goes with Nicho in the halves next year, we'll get more of the same.
Put Nicho at fullback in 2025, or ship him off to another club.

SharkShocked

Bench
Did any of you snarks watch what DCE did when the Beagles looked gone against the Bugdens? Basically said "phuque this", took the game by the scruff of the neck and steered them home with his head and his boot.

Real halfback

First he rissoled one of them to the ground when there was carry on in a tackle. That got them going. Lit the spark.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I think what has been missed is how bad Toby played as well fell for dummy on Munster try, bombed another try, that is potential 6-12 point turnaround.
Again he can't bend line unless we are already going forward.
This will be another he will benefit from AFB
Toby's played some of his best footy in years over the last month or so leading into the Storm game. Poor merkin tried too hard in his 100th and it turned to shit. Expect him to make amends against the cows.

Weaponhead

Coach
Just watched the mini of the Easts game at Magic Round to remember what Hynes like when he was good.

First set, runs it on the last and they score. Eyes up, backed his instinct, was decisive. Short ball to put Wilton over with the defence shot. Short ball to Tommy for the last try with McInnes running the decoy.

He was playing assertively, making decisions at pace and executing.

Now, he is timid, second guessing and not in the contest. He needs to find some fire and aim up. Stop playing like an 13 year old emo.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
It might be hyperbole, but I don't think it's that far off tbh.

He's at the end of the third year of his tenure and has a squad that, aside from McInnes, was either signed, or retained, by him.

For me, next year is make or break.

He has us there or thereabouts, but can he get us to the level of the Panthers and Storm?
That is the level we need to be, and I think that is the level Dino/Mace et al expect.

This is a real test.
Does he think the sole addition of AFB will solve our woes?
Or does he have the cajones to usher in the next generation of players, and start cultivating the ruthless edge we so clearly lack?

If the team doesn't show signs of heading in that direction next year, and he maintains the status quo, I think questions will start to be asked.
Nah mate...like it or not the club is all in on Fitz and rightly so. And equally Fitz is all in on Nicho. In regards to blooding new blood...this year we have unearthed several long term prospects. Iro....Stoney and DA will all be damm good footballers if they're not already and I would expect Tuks to join them when he gets more game time next year. Yeah Nicho is struggling but is too good not to turn it around. Highly unlikely that Origin will ever mess with his head again. Finally don't underestimate the impact that AFB will have on the pack next year....and hence the whole team. This week against the Cows is important for the team as a whole. Get it right then we get a free shot at the Pennies with absolutely no expectation or pressure.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Did any of you snarks watch what DCE did when the Beagles looked gone against the Bugdens? Basically said "phuque this", took the game by the scruff of the neck and steered them home with his head and his boot.

Real halfback
DCE had some very lean years as a $1M player. I do rate the guy as one of the best h/b's now though. Nicho has had some form early on, even this year before shit got into his head, again.
He is a player completely devoid of any kind of mojo. That pass in the Manly game was telling where his head is at.

Latest posts