What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alexander, Ennis & Anasta call for Sharks halves to be Trindall, Atkinson

Craigshark

First Grade
I feel like it nicho can somehow find a clutch play, it’ll change him back to how we know he can play. It’s just whether he can find that play.

DJDL

First Grade
Gus Gould made an interesting observation on 100% Footy last night.

He talked about Shane Warne and how he had a a bag full of tricks - the flipper, the zooter, the wrong 'un, the top spinner etc etc. He then said how there were times when the pitch was not favourable to him at all, no turn, no bounce, nothing. Just a dead track.

So Warney, rather than trying to fire off his trick shots, would just revert to his stock ball - put it on a length, keep a tight line and do it over after over waiting for the batsman to make a mistake.

Gus reckons Nicko has all the trick shots but nothing which would be described as "stock" play to revert to when the going gets tough. He doesn't revert back to just stirring the team around and getting away a good clearing kick at the end of each set. Instead he still tries to fire off the trick shots when they're not on.

He then compared that to Nathan Cleary who, when the Panthers are under the pump, doesn't overplay his hand. He just goes about the business of getting the team around the park and getting away a good clearing kick.
Eventually, if and when the opportunities start to present themselves, that's when he starts to play more expansively.

It's a pretty fair observation.

Griffoshark66

First Grade
Definitely a fair point, but does he have all the trick shots though? Standing on a short blindside and popping up ineffective half bombs seems to be about as close as he gets to a stock play. I'm very fearful that he's done as an elite player. A squad guy at best. I honestly hope I'm wrong.

sladden road

Juniors
Well, TFI plays a simple game. he doesn’t need to have the tricky plays. That’s for Tricky.
Run first, pass second. But he is a competitor.
Let Tricky run the show and let TFI develop into a running 5/8th.
I do understand that Fitz and the club are all in on Nicho.
I hope he learns to manage a game.

And yes Doc, Chad probably “was” a better but half back, Nicho is a better foot ball player, yet have been many a great footy player who haven’t won.
What gives me hope is that Hughes was a fullback converted to 7.
Time will tell.

PJ

First Grade
For me I would have Tricky at his natural position, which is 7, and try and have Nicho as a Lockyer style 5/8.

So when it is tough Tricky can play the stock plays as Gus says, then when it opens Nicho can play more trick shots.

Last edited:

shadowboxer

First Grade
For me I would have Tricky at his natural position, which is 7, and try and have Nicho as a Lockye style 5/8.

So when it is tuff Tricky cna play the stock plays as Gus says, then when it opens Nicho can play more trick shots.
All day man, all day.
I can’t see why they didn’t just go with this upon his return from injury. He plays one game, warriors loss. So let’s throw him back at 7. I get the whole $$$& thing, but seriously the team is hamstrung in working out what. Saturday wasn’t all on them, but when Hynes is around it’s like they walk on egg shells

DJDL

First Grade
Just for a bit of perspective on "how much better" the team played with The Next Immortal, during that time we beat:

The Tigers, Rabbitohs, Titans, Knights and Dragons - and we almost lost against the Knights.

He did well, but he ain't the answer.

In the early part of the season when we were flying, it was pretty much all off the back of Nicho.
He has it in him, he just needs to find again - and quickly.

PJ

First Grade
Just for a bit of perspective on "how much better" the team played with The Next Immortal, during that time we beat:

The Tigers, Rabbitohs, Titans, Knights and Dragons - and we almost lost against the Knights.

He did well, but he ain't the answer.

In the early part of the season when we were flying, it was pretty much all off the back of Nicho.
He has it in him, he just needs to find again - and quickly.

Yes he does, but even at his best he isn't a 7.

Can play a Lockyer style 6.

And this year seems very similar to last year when he took some hits and couldn't recover.

It does seem to be a pattern and a problem.

Eion

First Grade
Well let’s see how they go against a good team in the finals and not the best team.
We will know a fair bit more about this mob Friday night.

Latest posts