What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alexander, Ennis & Anasta call for Sharks halves to be Trindall, Atkinson

R-15-3

Bench
Everyone wants to blame Nicho, he wasn’t good and that missed touch finder was horrendous but we made 200 more tackles ran nearly 1000m less with only 40% possession.
95% of the blame should be on the middles they where terrible, no meters, got absolutely dominated in the ruck in offence and defence.
Everyone think’s Trindal had a great game but apart for his try assist and 2nd half long kicking game was just as bad as Nicho, it was his “amazing” bombs that all fell way to short in the first half that had Melbourne starting every set on the 30m+ line not being forced to work it out of their end.

Run meters
Nicho 106
Trindal 33

Tackles
Nicho 21
Trindal 11

Misses tackles
Nicho 2
TRINDAL 6

Kicks and Meters
Nicho 5 - 187m
Trindal 12 - 449

SadShark

Bench
Yep, I’m hearin’ the Podcasters narrative right now: “He’ll have the whole off-season to get his head right”. My all time apologists favourite - “He’ll learn from that” and another one of those Podcaster’s impassioned pleas - “that loss is not on Nicho”. Roll them bones baby.

DJDL

First Grade
The loss is not entirely on Nicho.
But, as the "marquee" player, he needs to be stepping up in big games a lot more than he is.

There's no escaping the fact that he is starting to build quite the impressive resume of failing to step up when it counts.
4 finals matches, 2 origins and pretty much every club game he's played agains the big guns.

He'll need a massive game on Friday, then back it up again the following week, if he wants to start silencing the critics.

Craigshark

First Grade
Everyone wants to blame Nicho, he wasn’t good and that missed touch finder was horrendous but we made 200 more tackles ran nearly 1000m less with only 40% possession.
95% of the blame should be on the middles they where terrible, no meters, got absolutely dominated in the ruck in offence and defence.
Everyone think’s Trindal had a great game but apart for his try assist and 2nd half long kicking game was just as bad as Nicho, it was his “amazing” bombs that all fell way to short in the first half that had Melbourne starting every set on the 30m+ line not being forced to work it out of their end.

Run meters
Nicho 106
Trindal 33

Tackles
Nicho 21
Trindal 11

Misses tackles
Nicho 2
TRINDAL 6

Kicks and Meters
Nicho 5 - 187m
Trindal 12 - 449

Yep. No half in the competition would have been able to conjure up a win against Melbourne the other day with the way the game went. They were just so much more physical than us and totally dominated us through the middle and the ruck. Not to mention Melbourne had a huge breeze with them in the first half.

Weaponhead

Coach

Run meters
Nicho 106
Trindal 33

Tackles
Nicho 21
Trindal 11

Misses tackles
Nicho 2
TRINDAL 6

Kicks and Meters
Nicho 5 - 187m
Trindal 12 - 449
The 2 aspects you mention that differentiated Trindall and Hynes are actually vitally important. Trindall lays on a try with less than a minute to go in the first half to give us a chance. That was a clutch play.

Trindall's long kicking game in the second half was the only chance the Sharks had to get some field position. Hynes long kicking game didn't find the ground or gain enough territory.

As you rightly say, the middles didn't lay any platform for the halves. Trindall made more impact where it counts for a half and Hynes needs to lift massively. He is the marquee and needs to step up. He gets another chance against the Cows. Take it.

Yep. No half in the competition would have been able to conjure up a win against Melbourne the other day with the way the game went. They were just so much more physical than us and totally dominated us through the middle and the ruck. Not to mention Melbourne had a huge breeze with them in the first half.
If Cleary was playing I say we would have been a chance, better kicking game better running game, organise better.
Trindall would have so much freedom.
When pressure is on Hynes melts, Cleary stands and delivers

I think what has been missed is how bad Toby played as well fell for dummy on Munster try, bombed another try, that is potential 6-12 point turnaround.
Again he can't bend line unless we are already going forward.
This will be another he will benefit from AFB

DJDL

First Grade
I think what has been missed is how bad Toby played as well fell for dummy on Munster try, bombed another try, that is potential 6-12 point turnaround.

You forgot his panicked offload, late in the tackle count, that lead to a 15 metre loss and put us under all sorts of pressure.

I ain't no Toby hater, but he had a night to forget.

Weaponhead

Coach
You forgot his panicked offload, late in the tackle count, that lead to a 15 metre loss and put us under all sorts of pressure.

I ain't no Toby hater, but he had a night to forget.
I am not a fan of Toby but has been good lately after the Dogs debacle. His offloads are generally poor and more often than not find the ground.

Munster saw him a mile away and has got much better players than old Tobes.

We need a big game from him on Friday.

roboshark

Coach
I would if pissed this guy off elsewhere

Omnishark2

Juniors
My biggest concern is we have another 4 years of it to look forward to.
I really don't know what the answer is.

Me either TBH. Do they make the switch to FB during off season? Or another position where he has a bit of room to move when we have the ball? Make him a proper 5/8th? Who knows?
I agree that's the massive question that's hanging over Fitzy's head ... and I agree it will make or break his coaching career.

Nicho is not a half (6 or 7), it's time to end that experiment.
He is a running player, full stop.
If we keep him as a marquee player, the only position that could work is fullback.
It's where he played his best football for Melbourne.
I don't agree he hasn't got the legs for it ... if nothing else Nicho is an athlete ... with a full off season, he could do the prep.
But keep him well away from our kicking game !

Recruit Ilias as our 7.
Atko as our bench utility ... he's got a great mental attitude, but he doesn't create enough when he's playing in the halves full time.

Reactions: PJ

PJ

First Grade
Talk of Nicho not having the legs for fullback, does this mean speed or endurance?

If speed he couldn't be slower than Kennedy could he?

Craigshark

First Grade
If Cleary was playing I say we would have been a chance, better kicking game better running game, organise better.
Trindall would have so much freedom.
When pressure is on Hynes melts, Cleary stands and delivers

put Cleary behind the way our forwards played on Saturday and not even he’d get them home.

sladden road

Juniors
Agreed that the team was completely outplayed across the park.
Nico tho, is not a million dollar half backs shoe lace.
TFI tho,
Saves us at least 600k. Plays straight, runs first (pass second), can kick goals and field position. Few mistakes and calm under pressure.
Why is most of the forum not able to come to grips with their BWB lense love for Nicho and accept that he is a 14 or 1 at best.
Both positions he excelled at the Storm.

As opposed to your homo erotic dreams where, to be fair, it’s a little more. It’s OK to dream of a Sharks half fulling all your dreams, innuendo intentional.

Mine is TFI, it’s like the last scene in The Dark Knight Rises where Alfred sees Bruce Wayne with Catwoman in Italy.

it’s just myself and TFI looking at each other over the Daily Telegraph celebrating a Sharks premiership.

Footnote: May have had a weekend on the funghi.

Chimp

Bench
Nicho just needs to go back to the basics… run first… be a running threat and the rest will follow. He’s not taking the line on with any real purpose or force - that’s where he used to look so dangerous. Run at a retreating defence and they can’t second guess you then, just play eyes up natural footy. There’s less to think about that way, less pressure to put on himself, just run run run.
Let Tricky do the organising, and just do what Munster does, run with the ball and only look to play if there’s clearly something ‘on’.

Mako-Ver

Juniors

Run meters
Nicho 106
Trindal 33

Tackles
Nicho 21
Trindal 11

Misses tackles
Nicho 2
TRINDAL 6

Kicks and Meters
Nicho 5 - 187m
Trindal 12 - 449
Why are our middles so down on energy & direction since Hynes return? I think the answer is clear. Hynes trys to touch the ball every play. It puts the forwards running game off. Then out of nowhere , he wil lrun, probably when nothing is on, wasting the forwards run by not giving them the ball.
Under Akko, there was 1 general. playing left & right. The forwards had to work their own game out with each other & they did. The little interchanges between each other worked great. Now its all gone. They are waiting for Hynes to conjure up something & he cant, because he really is Ian Baker Finch in disguise.

DJDL

First Grade
Nicho just needs to go back to the basics… run first… be a running threat and the rest will follow. He’s not taking the line on with any real purpose or force - that’s where he used to look so dangerous. Run at a retreating defence and they can’t second guess you then, just play eyes up natural footy. There’s less to think about that way, less pressure to put on himself, just run run run.
Let Tricky do the organising, and just do what Munster does, run with the ball and only look to play if there’s clearly something ‘on’.

While I agree with that, the stats from the weekend show he ran the ball every third time he touched it.

I don't think it's so much that he's not running, as to how he's running.
As others have said, he's way too lateral. Pretty much what you're saying with "He’s not taking the line on with any real purpose or force".
That's where his biggest improvement needs to come from, IMHO.

Latest posts