What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ali v Tyson ; who would win?

BunniesMan

Immortal
The 60s version of Ali was arguably the greatest boxer ever. The 70s version (that most people remember) wasnt.

Look at his fights on youtube, he is a vastly different fighter against top competition in the 70s than he was on the 60s. After his comeback his skills were simply not the same. He competed and he won because of a Jaw that I don't think anyone has ever seen before or since. But skills wise, he wasn't that complete fighter for the majority of his career that he was 64-67.

The fights that shows this contrast the best are his 1966 fight against Cleveland Williams and his 1970 fight against Oscar Bonavena. Completely different. Where he once won with freakish skills he then won with that jaw and that heart.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I said arguably. As in it's arguable. I wouldn't agree with that argument.

But I completely disagree when people say that Ali (and thinking of him in his 70s version) was the greatest ever, and then throw up fights like Thriller and Rumble as reasons why he is. When those fights are pretty good examples of precisely why he isn't the greatest.

Having said that, his 60s version is in the conversation. It's only a pity that he didn't fight the same caliber of opponent in the 60s when he could have been truly pushed at his peak.

PRW

Juniors
Once Tyson lost his aura invincibility (against Douglas) he was nowhere near the same again.

Utimately, Tyson was small and largely unskilled - Cassius Clay would have dazzled him and stopped him, Muhammad Ali would have frustrated and outsmarted him.

A more pertinent question is could Cassius Clay/Ali have beaten the hungry, in-shape Riddick Bowe who whipped Holyfield in their first fight?

I am not so sure.

andrew057

First Grade
Once Tyson lost his aura invincibility (against Douglas) he was nowhere near the same again.

Utimately, Tyson was small and largely unskilled - Cassius Clay would have dazzled him and stopped him, Muhammad Ali would have frustrated and outsmarted him.

A more pertinent question is could Cassius Clay/Ali have beaten the hungry, in-shape Riddick Bowe who whipped Holyfield in their first fight?

I am not so sure.

The same Bowe who was whipped by Lewis as an amatuer and then disgracefully ducked him his whole pro career?

andrew057

First Grade
whipped :?

have you never seen their amateur fight?

sounds like it

Yeah Lewis was beating him and then stopped him, whether it was premature or not there was only going to be one winner of that fight. Bowe proceeded to blatantly duck Lewis his whole pro career, particularly after Lewisstopped Ruddock. It was a disgrace.

Oh well one will be remember as a top 10 heavyweight of all time and the other a fat could've been who robbed fans of what may have been the biggest heavyweight fight since the 70s.

andrew057

First Grade
whether it was ptemature? it was a farce http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7jLAlTRO1E

i don't think Lewis would have even been winning either

Its the amatuers you know. Stopaages like that are common. Two standing 8 counts and Lewis was winning.

Bowed couldn't have been too upset with the stoappage, he had his chance to avenge the loss but decided he would rather give up his own world title than fight Lewis.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
An old out of shape Lewis already beat Vitali....
:lol:

Go watch the fight and tell me Lewis beat him.

Vitali was well up on the cards and the fight was stopped for a cut.

Lewis then retired to avoid a rematch.

Vitali has never been dropped and never will be.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Its the amatuers you know. Stopaages like that are common. Two standing 8 counts and Lewis was winning.

Bowed couldn't have been too upset with the stoappage, he had his chance to avenge the loss but decided he would rather give up his own world title than fight Lewis.

they had a contract to fight in about 94 and it would have happened if Lewis didn't get KO'd by McCall

andrew057

First Grade
they had a contract to fight in about 94 and it would have happened if Lewis didn't get KO'd by McCall
Years later after the fact. Lewis wouldve beat his ass.

Rather than fight the best heavyweight in the world which had been organised before their respective fights against Holy and Ruddock. Bowe literally threw his belt in the bin and went on to fight Michael Doakes and Jesse Fergurson. Was such a farce.

Last edited:

andrew057

First Grade
:lol:

Go watch the fight and tell me Lewis beat him.

Vitali was well up on the cards and the fight was stopped for a cut.

Lewis then retired to avoid a rematch.

Vitali has never been dropped and never will be.

I've seent he fight mate and know the rules of boxing, I assume you dont?

Edit: Lewis retired to avoid the rematch? Give me a break. Lewis was what 38 years old, had a year off since fighting Tyson and was preparing to fight Chris freakin Byrd. Oh yeah, weighed in the heaviest he had ever been for a fight. The fight wasnt going his way, but he dug deep and by the end of the fight, half Vitalis face was hanging off.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Any source for that? Thats what the Bowe camp came out and said after the fact.

Rather than fight the best heavyweight in the world which had been organised before their respective fights against Holy and Ruddock. Bowe literally threw his belt in the bin and went on to fight Michael Doakes and Jesse Fergurson. Was such a farce.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-lead/tysonbowelewisholyfield-timing-is-everything

After Bowe lost the title, a fight contract was signed in 1994 for Bowe to fight Lewis for the WBC title Bowe had discarded in the trash. But a funny thing happened before that fight could take place: Then 24-5 journeyman Oliver McCall TKO’ed Lewis in two rounds off a beautiful left hook/right hand combo. The contract, like Lewis’ paper title reign, was null and void.

andrew057

First Grade
you wanted a source and got one

stop whinging

Ok so weve got it set. Bowe signed to fight 2 years after he threw his world title in the trash instead of fighting the number 1 contender who he had signed a letter of intent to fight. Thanks.

Latest posts