What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ali v Tyson ; who would win?

Jubes

Juniors
Tyson was a far smarter boxer than anyone gave him credit for. He watched a lot of old footage, brought back some methods that had been long forgotten.

He was until he (or rather Don King) got rid of Kevin Rooney as his trainer.

lingard

Coach
agree, Ali could box, Tyson is a fighter..

Joe Frazier had the skills as well as the brutality, he'd kick Tyson's arse..

Ali could box, alright - but he could fight, too. He was one tough hombre who could hit a hell of a lot harder than most people think. And he could take it, too. Ali would wipe the floor with Tyson.

lingard

Coach
This. Tyson was pretty untouchable in his prime.

How do you think Foreman would go against Ali if had his time again. I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have fallen for the rope-a-dope and would have smacked the shit out of him.

Ali - a bit too overrated, mainly by himself
Tyson - better than the slugger people think he is.
Lennis - was a big Lewis fan. Great record. Hard to tell how he would have gone against the other greats.

Just like football, reckon a modern day great would shit on an old time great. Too hard to compare.

You might think it strange, but I believe that Ali is actually under-rated.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Ali. Tyson if he had Fraziers heart. But he had nowhere near that, he'd have wet himself before he ever got into the ring and Ali would destroy him.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
f**k off bunniesman you trolling spamming rube.
Tyson had no heart? He came from nothing, stepped into the ring against bigger boxers who had a half a foot at least reach on him and never took a backward step. Even in his later career his downfall had nothing to do with His lack of heart but his lack of hunger.

And to say Ali wasn't a great boxer shows that you have nfi. The guy won his fights by outboxing his opponents. FTR it would have been a great match up. I really think that Ali would have beaten Tyson, not because he was a better fighter but because he would have gotten into Tyson's fragile head space. If it was on fighting skills alone Tyson would win. At his best he was inhuman.

Tyson/Frazier would have been epic. Two guys, reasonably matched in size, with vicious hands. Get tingly thinking about it!

I think Ali, i.e. early/mid 70s Ali, would have done the business on Tyson, for the simple fact that he could take a beating, but still stick and move with that jab.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Tyson had no heart? He came from nothing, stepped into the ring against bigger boxers who had a half a foot at least reach on him and never took a backward step. Even in his later career his downfall had nothing to do with His lack of heart but his lack of hunger.

And to say Ali wasn't a great boxer shows that you have nfi. The guy won his fights by outboxing his opponents. FTR it would have been a great match up. I really think that Ali would have beaten Tyson, not because he was a better fighter but because he would have gotten into Tyson's fragile head space. If it was on fighting skills alone Tyson would win. At his best he was inhuman.

D'Amato/Rooney Tyson could have beaten Ali.

Don King Tyson would have been rocking himself to sleep in a padded room from Ali's taunts.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Tyson/Frazier would have been epic. Two guys, reasonably matched in size, with vicious hands. Get tingly thinking about it!

I think Ali, i.e. early/mid 70s Ali, would have done the business on Tyson, for the simple fact that he could take a beating, but still stick and move with that jab.

FRazier is/was my favourite boxer, but if they had a fight I'd put my money on Tyson; FRazier's style would suit Tyson IMO.

Frazier was used to facing taller opponents & getting on the inside. That wouldn't be the case against Tyson & I think the fight would go similar to Foreman v FRazier.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Typically ignorant post from you. You know little about Tyson. I'm a boxing fan. I've watched loads of documentaries on the subject. Tyson's reputation beat his opponents in the 80s. His opponents were chumps who were beaten before they ever stepped into the ring against him.

Look at his fight against Douglas. Quite an average boxer.Douglas' mother died days before the fight. He was fighting for bigger things and someones reputation wasn't going to stop him. For the first time Tyson fought someone who wasn't scared, and he got put on his arse.

Tyson had the physical talents to become the greatest ever, but he had no heart. If the most physically blessed fighter to ever walk the earth has no heart, anyone can beat him.

Tyson lost as soon as he fought someone who wasn't afraid. Then in the 90s he got dropped every time he fought a decent fighter.

Tyson is perhaps the most overrated world champion in the history of boxing. He was weak mentally.

Infact, if you listen to Tyson now, he says much of what I just said. I have little respect for his career as a fighter (not his potential, but his career) but I respect the man he's become lately and the inner growth he has acheived. If he did that growing 25 years ago he could have destroyed Douglas, Holyfield, Lewis and anyone else.

If he fought Ali, Ali would be too arrogant to ever be scared of him. Ali'd have the chin to survive the first 4 or 5 rounds. Then he'd just pop away at Tyson when Tyson ran out of steam until a late KO or points win.

I don't even like Ali and I think Ali would win.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Gumby Pete, you're a f**king rube. You're as see through as cellophane. You google current events or the plethora of things you've never heard about and skim a few articles to get a token idea of things and then you come out expecting us to believe you're an expert on something. A few people with the same IQ as you, ie 36, might believe it but the educated amongst us know you're a sad little fool who makes things up in a pitiful excuse to give meaning to your little life.

It is an expectation of my proffession to have empathy for people like you but in this case I'll use my discretion and make an exception.

Tyson had more ticker in his left nut on the 3rd of November 1992 at 1122am then you'll have in your entire life.

And I thought I was on ignore peanut.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Typically ignorant post from you. You know little about Tyson. I'm a boxing fan. I've watched loads of documentaries on the subject. Tyson's reputation beat his opponents in the 80s. His opponents were chumps who were beaten before they ever stepped into the ring against him.

Look at his fight against Douglas. Quite an average boxer.Douglas' mother died days before the fight. He was fighting for bigger things and someones reputation wasn't going to stop him. For the first time Tyson fought someone who wasn't scared, and he got put on his arse.

Tyson had the physical talents to become the greatest ever, but he had no heart. If the most physically blessed fighter to ever walk the earth has no heart, anyone can beat him.

Tyson lost as soon as he fought someone who wasn't afraid. Then in the 90s he got dropped every time he fought a decent fighter.

Tyson is perhaps the most overrated world champion in the history of boxing. He was weak mentally.

Infact, if you listen to Tyson now, he says much of what I just said. I have little respect for his career as a fighter (not his potential, but his career) but I respect the man he's become lately and the inner growth he has acheived. If he did that growing 25 years ago he could have destroyed Douglas, Holyfield, Lewis and anyone else.

If he fought Ali, Ali would be too arrogant to ever be scared of him. Ali'd have the chin to survive the first 4 or 5 rounds. Then he'd just pop away at Tyson when Tyson ran out of steam until a late KO or points win.

I don't even like Ali and I think Ali would win.

really you have no idea

were fighters like Ruddock, Tillis, Holmes, Tubbs, Tucker etc etc scared of him?

nope

the only real fighters that were are ones like Bruno, Spinks and Seldon

Tyson was also in horrible shape leading up to the Douglas fight having lost a lot of weight in two weeks and was getting beaten up in sparring

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...2023249_1_tyson-trevor-berbick-buster-douglas

Back In Action
SPORTS THIS MORNING
February 02, 1990

World heavyweight champion Mike Tyson resumed sparring in Tokyo. Tyson, who has been having trouble with balance and timing since he arrived in Japan Jan. 16, returned to the ring for six rounds after a five-day break. Though Tyson threw a lot of hard punches, he had difficulty setting up combinations and was repeatedly tagged by Trevor Berbick. Tyson has sparred only 30 rounds in the past two weeks, and was knocked down last Wednesday by Greg Page, though Tyson's trainers called it a slip. Tyson's opponent, Buster Douglas, also was unimpressive in training. But manager John Johnson isn't worried, saying he expected Douglas to knock Tyson out early.

here is the KD in sparring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO73SIt42lY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...SS-LOOKS-AHEAD-TO-JUNE-BOUT-WITH-TILLMAN.html

Tyson blamed himself for the loss to Douglas. "Six weeks before the fight, I weighed 248," he said

http://www.city-journal.org/2008/bc0321pb.html

Though the basic narrative of the Tokyo fight is familiar, Layden fills it in with fascinating and little-known detail, the product of interviews with fighters, trainers, the HBO commentators, and other boxing insiders. We learn that Tyson’s deservedly maligned cornermen—who lacked even rudimentary equipment to help their fighter on what became his most desperate night—were at least competent enough to worry about the champion’s lack of interest in the Douglas bout. Tyson’s lead trainer, Aaron Snowell, presciently told him that he was in real trouble if he didn’t start getting serious in training. Tyson shrugged and responded with an odd sentiment for an unbeaten and seemingly indestructible fighter: “If I get my butt whipped, I’ll take the blame.” Once in Tokyo, Snowell and others in the Tyson camp went out for some early morning roadwork—without Tyson himself!—and came upon a solitary runner up ahead: Douglas. “Let’s see what he’s got,” Snowell thought to himself, and he and his group picked up their pace, moving in on the challenger. Hearing their footsteps, and never once looking back, Douglas shifted into another gear and left the Tyson camp far behind. It was then that Snowell knew that Douglas was in superb condition, and his worries deepened.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
For what it's worth, i reckon Ali beats Tyson every time they fight..

I also can't see any way Tyson could beat Lewis..Lennox schooled him in '02 & i reckon the same would've happened in Tyson's prime..

I think the better comparison would be,who would win between Joe Louis v Lennox Lewis..

Ali,as much as i am not a disciple,would beat every Heavyweight IMO..

He was a Middleweight in a Heavyweight's body..

BunniesMan

Immortal
For what it's worth, i reckon Ali beats Tyson every time they fight..

I also can't see any way Tyson could beat Lewis..Lennox schooled him in '02 & i reckon the same would've happened in Tyson's prime..

I think the better comparison would be,who would win between Joe Louis v Lennox Lewis..

Ali,as much as i am not a disciple,would beat every Heavyweight IMO..

He was a Middleweight in a Heavyweight's body..
Frazier had Ali's number. Had him easily in their first fight, yes he lost the second but he had Ali beat in Manila and deserved to win that fight and would have won.

It's tough comparing boxers. It's not like other sports. There's more than just overall talent that factors into it. Certain fighting styles beat others, even if the talent advantage is going the other way.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Frazier had Ali's number. Had him easily in their first fight, yes he lost the second but he had Ali beat in Manila and deserved to win that fight and would have won.

It's tough comparing boxers. It's not like other sports. There's more than just overall talent that factors into it. Certain fighting styles beat others, even if the talent advantage is going the other way.

Ken Norton was the fighter who had Ali's number

won their first fight and was absolutley robbed in their third and even their second fight was a controversial decision

you could easily make a case that Norton won all 3 fights against Ali

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Ken Norton was the fighter who had Ali's number

won their first fight and was absolutley robbed in their third and even their second fight was a controversial decision

you could easily make a case that Norton won all 3 fights against Ali

I'll agree with that..

Frazier had Ali's number to a certain extent..

One could argue 'Enry Cooper had his number too..

But there has been no more complete fighter than Ali in the history of the game IMO...