What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All eyes on Wellington

langpark

First Grade
(Well, my eyes will be anyway)

It'll be interesting to see what sort of a crowd Wellington Phoenix get tomorrow against Melbourne Victory. This team was formed in a matter of months and officials are already expecting a crowd of over 15k, so imagine what a League team could do there if it had two years to prepare!?

I think a Wellington league team would have no trouble drawing good numbers if they had an NRL team, and it's sad to see soccer getting in there first as they did with Central Coast. Kiwi's love their league and it would benefit the game in so many ways, especially at an international level.

Manly fLIP

Juniors
Agree with that.

You've got 3 Clubs in queensland.

1 in Melbourne.

1 in NSW (Newcastle)

1 in ACT

9 in Sydney and surrounding areas.

No more for NSW I say. NZ or WA should be next on the list. If the CC want a team then a current sydney based club should move.

Probably the tigers seeing as though they don't know where the f**k their home ground is half the time. ;-)

Nook

Bench
The most logical and 'doable' areas for new teams in the short term are Brisbane and Wellington, IMO. The Central Coast won't get a look in. Perth is lucrative but seems a bit further off.

I don’t think the NRL will be too keen to sling another team to SE Queensland so soon after the Titans. Wellington is the obvious choice if there are going to be any new teams in the next 6 - 8 years. A successful team there would be fantastic for the international game and great for the NRL too. If the Warriors go alright over the next couple of years I think the pressure on the NRL to seriously consider sticking Wellington in will be huge.

t-ba

Post Whore
Sunshine Coast. Now that they're going to be under a single council authority, I think a Rugby League side would be spectacular in fostering and developing a local identity.

For mine-
Perth, Wellington, West Brisbane and Sunshine Coast are the four next areas. The Central Coast needs a team, but it may have to put up with a relocated Sydney Side.

langpark

First Grade
I also think it's a bit unfair that they produce so much talent (the NRL and Super League are chockers full of kiwis) and they've only got one team to show for it.

Nook

Bench
Yep, a Wellington franchise would provide a great pathway for local kids and stop so many of them going down the path of Aussie clubs/ESL/Union. And it'd keep the heat on Union in NZ, which with an uninspiring S14 and an international season which consists largely of games against 2nd string opponents, is as vulnerable as it is ever going to be.

T-ba, you reckon Sunshine Coast would be a goer in 5 years or is it a bit further down the track? Playing out of Lang Park? I don't think they'll go any more than 2 'Brisbane' teams in the foreseeable future, what do you reckon holds more potential out of 'West Brisbane' and a SS team?

t-ba

Post Whore
Nook said:
T-ba, you reckon Sunshine Coast would be a goer in 5 years or is it a bit further down the track? Playing out of Lang Park? I don't think they'll go any more than 2 'Brisbane' teams in the foreseeable future, what do you reckon holds more potential out of 'West Brisbane' and a SS team?

I think both have got potential. But I've only lived in Queensland for two years. There's people on here infinitely more qualified to speak on the subject.

It certainly makes sense to play a 'West Brisbane' side out of Lang Park. It's on the same train line as the Western Suburbs and Ipswich, and express trains could get people to and from the venue very quickly. The 'West Brisbane' side would, if marketed right, soak up alot of the latent RL support in the rest of Brisbane, who don't really have an NRL side because they dislike the Broncos.

Alot of people argue that the Sunshine Coast has no real 'identity', and that it's really just a collection of towns steadily merging together (Alot like the Central Coast in that Respect). Now that they are going to have a unified council, I can see a Rugby League side in the region giving the area an identity (Think of how the Sharks, along with Cronulla Beach and a few pubs like Northies are the Shire's identity). If done correctly, I think the whole region, and even parts of Northern Brisbane like Caboolture, would get right behind it.

My general assessment of South East Queensland is that is in DIRE need of atleast another Rugby League club. Both areas are attractive in my opinion and both should have teams when the TV deal after the next is determined. There's some data suggesting that Brisbanes CBD is on track to become more important than Melbourne in 20 years (I doubt it. But still) It's madness for the NRL not to lock up such a fast growing region and ensuring that AFL doesn't make up any more ground in the region.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
It's the first game of the new season for both teams, a newbie side and the current champiions. Of course there's going to be tons of people. Duh!

it's just a matter of whether they can maintain that sort of a interesting or not

Mox

Juniors
of course a league club would go well in wellington

- It would have the deepest pockets in the NRL
- In all domestic sports in new zealand wellington gets the highest crowds (be it rugby .. cricket.. soccer.. netball etc)
- Wellington has the best stadium in new zealand

It would be weird for a little bit .. i guess the warriors would have to change back to the auckland warriors.. and would be really weird for wellington fans who support the warriors.

And here are some piccies of the place :p

3731079663a5336984053l.jpg

3731079663a5336984192l.jpg

3731079663a5336984233l.jpg

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Mox said:
- In all domestic sports in new zealand wellington gets the highest crowds (be it rugby .. cricket.. soccer.. netball etc)
- Wellington has the best stadium in new zealand

- No, no, a given and no.
- No.

But a Wellington NRL team would be supported and the sooner the better.

langpark

First Grade
Mox said:
It would be weird for a little bit .. i guess the warriors would have to change back to the auckland warriors.. and would be really weird for wellington fans who support the warriors.
It'd be a similar situation to the Cowboys, whenever Broncos play there they still get loads of support, but most people do follow the home team. I think it's a good situation, it makes for a better atmosphere.

Mox

Juniors
Dr Crane said:
- No, no, a given and no.
- No.

But a Wellington NRL team would be supported and the sooner the better.

Its actually true.. (well if u do the per capita)

And what stadiums better ??

Eden park is a relic

And jade stadium is a mess.