What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All eyes on Wellington

NZ Warrior

First Grade
The n00b is right, Wellington has to be the next NRL team. Someone has to take care of the juniors coming through in this country. With the Warriors only debutising one Kiwi this year, The Southern Orcas can't come soon enough.

The Orcas will make Wellingtonians see the light and make them realise what a sh*t game yawnion really is.

And we have a big, rich billionaire backing us. We'll never go broke!!!

NK Arsenal

Juniors
If the Panthers were versing a Wellington side, I'd never go there to see them.
Wind Chill Factor is enormous..well it was when I went there last!

NZ Warrior

First Grade
NP said:
If the Panthers were versing a Wellington side, I'd never go there to see them.
Wind Chill Factor is enormous..well it was when I went there last!

We don't want any namby pambys showing up anyway.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
As opposed to all those poor billionaires?

Yeah, all the poor billionaires have their money tied up in shares and currency markets. Our Billionaire ice-skates on rink made out of gold. Gold is where it's at, my friend. He also supplies helicopters to the US army, they can't get enough of them.

Nook

Bench
t-ba said:
I think both have got potential. But I've only lived in Queensland for two years. There's people on here infinitely more qualified to speak on the subject.

It certainly makes sense to play a 'West Brisbane' side out of Lang Park. It's on the same train line as the Western Suburbs and Ipswich, and express trains could get people to and from the venue very quickly. The 'West Brisbane' side would, if marketed right, soak up alot of the latent RL support in the rest of Brisbane, who don't really have an NRL side because they dislike the Broncos.

Alot of people argue that the Sunshine Coast has no real 'identity', and that it's really just a collection of towns steadily merging together (Alot like the Central Coast in that Respect). Now that they are going to have a unified council, I can see a Rugby League side in the region giving the area an identity (Think of how the Sharks, along with Cronulla Beach and a few pubs like Northies are the Shire's identity). If done correctly, I think the whole region, and even parts of Northern Brisbane like Caboolture, would get right behind it.

My general assessment of South East Queensland is that is in DIRE need of atleast another Rugby League club. Both areas are attractive in my opinion and both should have teams when the TV deal after the next is determined. There's some data suggesting that Brisbanes CBD is on track to become more important than Melbourne in 20 years (I doubt it. But still) It's madness for the NRL not to lock up such a fast growing region and ensuring that AFL doesn't make up any more ground in the region.

Well that is all food for though.

My query (from a position of almost complete ignorance) would be how best to soak up that latent support in Brisbane – whether to have a distinct geographical base/identity for the team or just another whole-city alternative. It seems likely that any future Brissy team is going to be playing out of Suncorp anyway so forging specific geographical links might be a bit tricky (and a bit counterproductive if they are trying to cater for non-Broncos fans from all over the place). But ‘West’ Brisbane keeps getting mentioned and from the little I’ve read on here there seems to be a lot of growth on the northern and south-western sides of the city so there is probably a bit of scope for having a good base for a second Brisbane team.

My worry about the Sunshine Coast (keeping in mind I was last there in 1993) would be whether it’s the kind of area that can be linked together by a team, especially one playing out of Brisbane (I’m not completely up to speed on the geography but from what I remember Noosa is what, about an hour and a bit north of Brisbane?). But clearly people ‘on the ground’ would have a much better idea than me.

I think a 2nd Brisbane team ASAP is essential for the reasons you’ve identified. As I said initially I think the next ‘expansion’ slot is shaping up as a two horse race between Brissy2 and Wellington. Both have great claims, it’s a good position for the competition to be in.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Nook said:
My query (from a position of almost complete ignorance) would be how best to soak up that latent support in Brisbane – whether to have a distinct geographical base/identity for the team or just another whole-city alternative. It seems likely that any future Brissy team is going to be playing out of Suncorp anyway so forging specific geographical links might be a bit tricky (and a bit counterproductive if they are trying to cater for non-Broncos fans from all over the place). But ‘West’ Brisbane keeps getting mentioned and from the little I’ve read on here there seems to be a lot of growth on the northern and south-western sides of the city so there is probably a bit of scope for having a good base for a second Brisbane team.

My worry about the Sunshine Coast (keeping in mind I was last there in 1993) would be whether it’s the kind of area that can be linked together by a team, especially one playing out of Brisbane (I’m not completely up to speed on the geography but from what I remember Noosa is what, about an hour and a bit north of Brisbane?). But clearly people ‘on the ground’ would have a much better idea than me.

I've never lived west of the M1 and Caloundra is my home-away-from-home but I think an Ipswich team should have a higher priority over a Sunshine Coast team.

Most of Brisbane's growth over the next few decades is going to be in the Western Corridor (Ipswich, Springfield, Ripley Valley, Logan) and while the Sunshine Coast will be growing rapidly it won't be on the same scale.

IMO both teams will be in the NRL at some stage, I just think that Ipswich is a better choice for the time being. In saying that I still think that Perth and Wellington should be the next two teams in.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
KalgoorlieRed said:
Perth comes before Wellington as our team was stolen by the morons running this game!

I suppose we should give Adelaide, Hunter Valley & South Queensland another chance too, shall we???

t-ba

Post Whore
KalgoorlieRed said:
Perth comes before Wellington as our team was stolen by the morons running this game!

The Reds made their bed...If the city wasn't so important to the future of the NRL, I would advocate they lie in it...

JW

Coach
t-ba said:
Sunshine Coast. Now that they're going to be under a single council authority, I think a Rugby League side would be spectacular in fostering and developing a local identity.

For mine-
Perth, Wellington, West Brisbane and Sunshine Coast are the four next areas. The Central Coast needs a team, but it may have to put up with a relocated Sydney Side.

I agree. And most likely in that order.

bobmar28

Bench
What's holding expansion back is the fact that one city has nine teams. Expand to more than 16 teams and everyone will have to take a pay cut.
there's only a certain amount of money to go around. Why should most of it go to Sydney teams? Amalgamation/relocation is the only way to go.

Tom Shines

First Grade
You can't relocate every team, because you then have the farcical situation of the AFL, with the Kangaroos being shopped around for a town to love them, but the fans aren't stupid. They want their OWN team.

If you're not going to increase the numbers, I say
Sharks > Wellington
Souths-Roosters, new team is Brisbane II