What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All the calls went our way?!?!

brokendigit

Juniors
Can someone please explain Des Hasler's comments in today's Telegraph:
"Once they (St George-Illawarra) got some momentum, all the calls went their way and they got the rub of the green."

What the?
With penalties 9-3 against, when did we get these 'calls' that Hasler is referring to?

Manly were out-muscled, out-played, & out-thought. IMO, without Clark, Manly would've gone down by more...

Did anyone see it differently?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Agreed. We got hammered by Clark.

I knew it would happen, that's why I offered to shout the whole Army a beer if we won the count yesterday!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Des needs to take the blinkers off.

Was it just me or was Clark working hard on getting Ryles to backchat to him during a ref-captain discussion? Ryles just kept nodding and saying 'yes... yes...' while the proverbial finger was being waved at him. lol
Good onya Rylesy, a year ago you would have been less accomodating.

brokendigit

Juniors
Willow said:
Des needs to take the blinkers off.

Was it just me or was Clark working hard on getting Ryles to backchat to him during a ref-captain discussion? Ryles just kept nodding and saying 'yes... yes...' while the proverbial finger was being waved at him. lol
Good onya Rylesy, a year ago you would have been less accomodating.

Agree 100%. Clark looked over-worked & tired. He seemed to be 'looking' for Ryles to give him a mouthful... I thought it was a very controlled & unemotional performance by Ryles yesterday. Not sure how much it had to with the Captaincy, but all the forwards rallied yesterday - esp. that 1st half...

Also thought Lance's contribution was a little overlooked during the coverage... EVERY tackle he made hurt the ball-carrier. He even pulled off a copybook bootlace tackle that reminded me of a young Brad Mackay...
Sensational.

Ribs

Bench
All the forwards muscled up in defence better than they have the last 2 years yesterday which is a carry on from their physical effort against the Eels, which was also outstanding.

Clark is a joke, that one against Gas on the 5th tackle late in the second half was pathetic, especially considering the tackle on Greenshield 5 minutes later. The worst flop of the season went unnoticed......

No Des, your team just got PUMPED!!!!

Dragons2005

Juniors
that comment from Des is the funniest thing i have heard from a coach this year. all 3 calls went out way Des LOL your a joke.
by the way how did the Eels go this week? Hahaha told them Eels boys there team would hit some speed humps bet they never thought it would be a speed hump in Canberra bahaha.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Des is a tosser. Manly have never lost a game by playing bad, it's always the Ref's fault. Give him credit, he did say it was the most impressive opening 25 minutes he has seen from any team.

Manly are lucky Dragons fell asleep in the 2nd half or it could of been an absolute embarrassment.

I was maybe thinking they could turn the table on us from last season when the Dragons came back and won it 36-34. Score was about 24-6 at half time in that game as well wasn't it?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Slippery Morris said:
I was maybe thinking they could turn the table on us from last season when the Dragons came back and won it 36-34. Score was about 24-6 at half time in that game as well wasn't it?
Round 25
29 Aug 2004

Half time: Manly 24-4
47th Min: Manly 24-10
50th Min: Manly 30-10
52nd Min: Manly 34-10
57th Min: Manly 34-14
62nd Min: Manly 34-20
64th Min: Manly 34-26
66th Min: Manly 34-30
78th Min: Dragons 36-34!!!

pantherz9103

First Grade
Willow said:
Round 25
29 Aug 2005

St Bondi

Juniors
IMO, Des is just a whinging d*&khead and Clark ... well he's just a d*&head.

I can't remember a game where Clark has given the Dragons a fair go.

As for Desmond ... well, well how times have changed. It's OK when your team is well and truly entrenched in the 8, but come the business end of the season when things start to get a bit shaky the whining and whinging Des of old shows his true colours.

Albinomonkey

Juniors
Willow said:
Round 25
29 Aug 2004

:D that game made me happy that I never leave before the end of a match. great game.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Albino - the atmosphere on the Hill that day amongst the "True Believers" will be hard to surpass...

It should be noted that the Army stayed to the bitter end, as always.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The knitters were going nuts as well Ben.
I had R2K next to me with all his doom and gloom... lol.
Maybe it was the hip flask talking, but we never gave up.

Southernsaint

Staff member
And that's why comments like Warren Smith's sh*tted me so badly.

It ain't over 'til it's over...even if you're only staying to the end to boo the f**kers off :lol:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Warren Smith is quickly gaining ground on the top end of 'the list'. lol

I never left a Saints game early myself... even listening on the radio I'll stick it out.

That day it was pissing down raining and they were down by something like 24 points with 25 minutes to go.

After they won, complete strangers were shaking hands and patting each other on the back. And I ran into Ricky Walford as well. A great arvo.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I thought I'd rub that in. ;-)

The old players hang out around the stand. In fact, more than I ever remember. There seems to be a real gathering happening this year.

Last time during that abysmal effort against Wests Tigers - the one where we were getting clobbered in the halves - there was Billy Smith playing up behind Stoney's slab. The story goes he was asked by a fan, "no halves today Billy!"
Billy waved and replied, "I'm not going out there."
lol
Mind you, he couldn't have done much worse.