What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

alright, i can conceed, lockyer has nothing on johns :(

bluesbreaker

Bench
I'm a bit surprised i'm gonna say this actually, and keeping in mind that i've never really seen what everyone else does in Lockyer in comparison to Johns, but he's due to start to dominate like Johns did in his golden years. I don't think there was ever any serious doubt over Johns being the better player in his prime, but maybe Lockyer hasn't reached his yet?

Anyways, Andrew Johns in my opinion is the greatest player to ever play the game, maybe Lockyer can change that in the next couple of years if he gets his sh*t together.

blaine train

Juniors
Lockyer only just started playing five-eight last year, can you imagine how good he'll be in a year or two when you consider how good he already is. And halfback is different to five-eight, you cant really control the game. Don't think i'm biased because I went to the game last night, and I criticised Lockyer more than anyone else. Johns sh*t all over him

Hindyscrack

Bench
madunit said:
But he's the greatest player ever, he should be able to do that with ease.

I think I made a valid point however people feel the need to jump down my throat. Noddy had a forward pack that played like a bunch of lost 3 year olds in a supermarket, standing there crying for mummy. Johns had a forward pack that was dominant.

I think its unfair to assume the noddy wouldn't have played a much better game tonight than he did in the first game, considering how much more effort the forwards put in.

Hey merkin,

why do you think our forward pack was dominated? noddy couldnt kick his way out of danger. its damn hard to get out of your own 20m area.

Everything Joey did tonight was 5 times better then the best noddy coud ever produce. Pull your head out of that shire sand

Noddy is an origin myth, and no nsw wouldnt have dominated the way they did with Johns in the team.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I'm glad that some of you are big enough to admit when a player is outclassed by another.
Lockyer is a fantastic player, always will be... Johns just dominated more than him last night. It's not like he didn't put in.

Mr Saab

Referee
Lockyer WAS outplayed last night....pure and simple.
I thought Lockyer would stand up and lead, but he didnt.
Game 3 cant come soon enough

salivor

First Grade
Lockyer was the better player of the two in the first half with the little ball and field position he had, he looked more likely to get QLD over the tryline. Johns was getting a lot of width but most of that first half NSW were just going side to side. When they straightened it up a bit in the second half and the forwards completely dominated Johns had a field day while it was a tad hard for Lockyer to shine in his own 20 metre zone.

That game proves very little IMO in the whole Johns v Lockyer debate. About all it proved is that when Lockyer has a cracker of a game you don't hear boo, when Johns has one great game in 2 years the media had prematurally ejaculated before the final siren had even gone. It's just become quite sycophantic, especially those trying to compare him to the king (is that how sad NSW's Origin legacy has become?).

bluesbreaker

Bench
salivor said:
Lockyer was the better player of the two in the first half with the little ball and field position he had, he looked more likely to get QLD over the tryline. Johns was getting a lot of width but most of that first half NSW were just going side to side. When they straightened it up a bit in the second half and the forwards completely dominated Johns had a field day while it was a tad hard for Lockyer to shine in his own 20 metre zone.

That game proves very little IMO in the whole Johns v Lockyer debate. About all it proved is that when Lockyer has a cracker of a game you don't hear boo, when Johns has one great game in 2 years the media had prematurally ejaculated before the final siren had even gone. It's just become quite sycophantic, especially those trying to compare him to the king (is that how sad NSW's Origin legacy has become?).

:lol:

It feels really dirty to start messages with emoticons, very Kaz-like, but that's all that that drivel warrants. Keep reaching champion, Joey isn't ready to hand over his title just yet.

salivor

First Grade
It's ok, I'd feel dirty too if thats about all I could muster in response. Unoriginal thoughts and bandwagon jumping is up ahead a couple of doors to the left, you'll find your in good company.

bluesbreaker

Bench
salivor said:
It's ok, I'd feel dirty too if thats about all I could muster in response. Unoriginal thoughts and bandwagon jumping is up ahead a couple of doors to the left, you'll find your in good company.

:lol: I could write a 20 page response to it, but it's not warranted. You've got nothing to bring to the table, and you're making a fool out of yourself without my help :).

salivor

First Grade
bluesbreaker said:
:lol: I could write a 20 page response to it, but it's not warranted. You've got nothing to bring to the table, and you're making a fool out of yourself without my help :).

I suspected that you had nothing constructive to add and you just confirmed it. When you do find yourself grasping on to a single constructive thought then please feel free to contribute to the debate. So far you've added: "So like I totally think your like ahh a stupid and ahh yeah you know?" and for that I congratulate you :lol: .

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
salivor said:

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever read. The media are so far up the rear end of Darren Lockyer that even touching the ball is "a master play" according to them. Even worse is when I read an article on the Broncos new strategy involving Lockyer, that for the record resulted in a loss to the Warriors, but they still filled half a page about it. If the Broncos have a win and Lockyer has a quiet game, it's still "Lockyer leads the Broncos to a win".

Lockyer is nothing on Andrew Johns, he can't defend, his goalkicking is the worst in the game, he's not even close to having vision like Johnsy's, and the fact is he looks alot better than he is because he has quality players around him. Lockyer has Berrigan, Johns has Carmont. Lockyer has Bott/Hodges, Johns has Hall/Quinn. Take Johns out of Newcastle and put Lockyer there and he'd make absolutely no difference.

When they both have quality backs around them in Origin, Johns showed he's still the best and Lockyer couldn't keep up. Just accept it mate.

salivor

First Grade
ParraDude_Jay said:
That's the biggest load of crap I've ever read. The media are so far up the rear end of Darren Lockyer that even touching the ball is "a master play" according to them. Even worse is when I read an article on the Broncos new strategy involving Lockyer, that for the record resulted in a loss to the Warriors, but they still filled half a page about it. If the Broncos have a win and Lockyer has a quiet game, it's still "Lockyer leads the Broncos to a win".

Be my guest to pull up these headlines because I haven't read them anywhere. I can guarantee that for every one that you can find I can bring up about 5 over hyped bullsh*t stories about Johns. The media barely know that the world exists above NSW, next time you hear about the Broncos or Lockyer on the footy show for example, make sure you don't blink or you'll miss it. And before you acuse me of QLD under seige syndrome or hysteria, I'm not a Qlder.

ParraDude_Jay said:
Lockyer is nothing on Andrew Johns, he can't defend, his goalkicking is the worst in the game, he's not even close to having vision like Johnsy's, and the fact is he looks alot better than he is because he has quality players around him. Lockyer has Berrigan, Johns has Carmont. Lockyer has Bott/Hodges, Johns has Hall/Quinn. Take Johns out of Newcastle and put Lockyer there and he'd make absolutely no difference.

When they both have quality backs around them in Origin, Johns showed he's still the best and Lockyer couldn't keep up. Just accept it mate.

I hope you actually bagged a couple of straws because your doing a hell of a lot of clutching there. Goal kicking? Doesn't even warrant a response that was so ludicrous. Defence? 9 years at fullback, it takes time to adjust to the front line and quite frankly he can grasp at players for the rest of his career for all I care as his job is on offence. Quality of team mates? Thanks for stating the bloody obvious that players look and play better when they have a higher quality of player around them.

The simple facts are that NSW dominated territory and possession. When QLD had the ball in the second half it was mostly in poor field position, no half is going to out shine his opposite number when his forwards have been as heavily defeated as QLD's were. Those who are overhyping the situation and casting a shadow on Lockyers abilities need to realise that.

Tommy Smith

Referee
salivor said:
Be my guest to pull up these headlines because I haven't read them anywhere. I can guarantee that for every one that you can find I can bring up about 5 over hyped bullsh*t stories about Johns. The media barely know that the world exists above NSW, next time you hear about the Broncos or Lockyer on the footy show for example, make sure you don't blink or you'll miss it. And before you acuse me of QLD under seige syndrome or hysteria, I'm not a Qlder.

I hope you actually bagged a couple of straws because your doing a hell of a lot of clutching there. Goal kicking? Doesn't even warrant a response that was so ludicrous. Defence? 9 years at fullback, it takes time to adjust to the front line and quite frankly he can grasp at players for the rest of his career for all I care as his job is on offence. Quality of team mates? Thanks for stating the bloody obvious that players look and play better when they have a higher quality of player around them.

The simple facts are that NSW dominated territory and possession. When QLD had the ball in the second half it was mostly in poor field position, no half is going to out shine his opposite number when his forwards have been as heavily defeated as QLD's were. Those who are overhyping the situation and casting a shadow on Lockyers abilities need to realise that.
What a load of uneducated crap. Theoretically, you have the ball 50% of the time and you're defending the other 50% of the time. So defensive ability is a huge aspect of a players game. Defense wins premierships.

And what good is it if you set up 3 tries when you concede a couple.

Bullrider

Juniors
Ok i know that Johns played all over lockyer in the origin but lockyer didnt have a bad game either. I know stats arent everything in the game but
Look at the stats on www.nrl.com.au and you will learn lockyer made more tackles while they missed the same amount of tackles. I think you will see that lockyer is improving his defensive game. Locky made 1 more error. Same try assist. I know that locky was outplayed but i believe a few tactical changes and it will be all sweet.

Also what helped is the reported massive 10m line that certainly helped Johns as it should have locky but he didnt throw many flat passes as johns did.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Those are only the tackles Lockyer attempts. Alot of the time you'll see him standing back waiting for someone else to tackle the opposition. When he's forced to tackle, he's absolutely rubbish at it and as far as I'm concerned, that's enough there to say he isn't better than Johns.

But either you shot yourself in the foot, or you're not very bright. People always use "he's only new" as the excuse for his pathetic defence, but still proclaim he's the world's best player. He's only new to the job but still better than anyone at it? Rubbish. His attack is outstanding, he puts Berrigan through holes so often that you'd think it's easy. But his defence is atrocious. Without exaggerating, for every try he's set up, he's let someone score one in situations where your Anasta's and Barrett's would have stopped some.

He's a great player, I won't deny that ever. But he's not as good as Andrew Johns, and as far as I'm concerned, he never will be. Take Lockyer out of the game for 2 years and throw him in Origin, and he wouldn't have the impact that Johns did on Wednesday night. He's one of the best, if not the best of all time, and currently the best in the world, and it's only Broncos supporters that can't accept that.

salivor

First Grade
Tommy Smith said:
What a load of uneducated crap. Theoretically, you have the ball 50% of the time and you're defending the other 50% of the time. So defensive ability is a huge aspect of a players game. Defense wins premierships.

And what good is it if you set up 3 tries when you concede a couple.

The only uneducated one is yourself. Halves have been hidden in defensive lines for years, always have and always will be. Even Gould has talked about putting Johns in behind the line in the 2003 series to protect him.

Anyone who thinks that Lockyer can't defend is kidding themselves, same morons who think Seymour can't defend by quickly putting the blinkers on everytime he gets a player between the legs and drives them back. By the time Lockyer moved positions he was the best defensive fullback in the game, his tackle on DeVere for example is one of those memorable Origin moments.

The stats will show that Lockyer and Seymour have been getting more traffic than just about any halves going around week to week at present. I don't think it's a very hard theory to grasp that the more takles you have to attempt, the more you are likely to miss. Currently Lockyer is being used quite often to rush out at the player and slow him down for the likes of Carroll beside him to finish him off, not a style that endears itself to a low miss tackle percentage.

And as I've said, it really doesn't bother me. Brisbanes defence has been rock solid this year, we're not leaking tries down any side in particular despite sides obviously trying to send as many men at Lockyer and Seymour as they possibly can. And anyone who thinks it's their job to plug holes in the defensive line and dump forwards on their arse has seriously deluded themselves to the job of halves on the football field.

salivor

First Grade
ParraDude_Jay said:
But either you shot yourself in the foot, or you're not very bright. People always use "he's only new" as the excuse for his pathetic defence, but still proclaim he's the world's best player. He's only new to the job but still better than anyone at it? Rubbish. His attack is outstanding, he puts Berrigan through holes so often that you'd think it's easy. But his defence is atrocious. Without exaggerating, for every try he's set up, he's let someone score one in situations where your Anasta's and Barrett's would have stopped some.

Or maybe your not just too observant. Most of my last post addresses your defensive critism of Lockyer but I just had to laugh at this paragraph. Yes Lockyer and Brisbane surely are letting in a try for every one that he sets up. Brisbane are only the 2nd best defensive team in the league, terrible really, obviously bleeding tries all over the place :rolleyes: . But hey I'm not going to exagerate either, your completely full of it.

RABK

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
Those are only the tackles Lockyer attempts. Alot of the time you'll see him standing back waiting for someone else to tackle the opposition. When he's forced to tackle, he's absolutely rubbish at it and as far as I'm concerned, that's enough there to say he isn't better than Johns.

He's a great player, I won't deny that ever. But he's not as good as Andrew Johns, and as far as I'm concerned, he never will be. Take Lockyer out of the game for 2 years and throw him in Origin, and he wouldn't have the impact that Johns did on Wednesday night. He's one of the best, if not the best of all time, and currently the best in the world, and it's only Broncos supporters that can't accept that.

Great post mate, all facts and said without any personal attacks. :clap:

You can't argue with what he has written, get a grip of the FACT that Johns is, always has been and always will be better then Lockyer. Lockyer is a champion but he isn't in the same class of Champions as Joey.

salivor

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
Great post mate, all facts and said without any personal attacks. :clap:

You can't argue with what he has written, get a grip of the FACT that Johns is, always has been and always will be better then Lockyer. Lockyer is a champion but he isn't in the same class of Champions as Joey.

LOL, I didn't know that "your not very bright" wasn't a personal attack. I also didn't know that Lockyer lets one in for every one he sets up was a fact or that wild predictions that Lockyer couldn't match up if put into Origin after a year on the sidelines were facts. Stop drooling and take the blinkers off mate. Or better yet stop cheerleading and offer an opinion.

Latest posts