What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one embarrassed?

Nothing to be embarrassed about.

it may do but we seem to be the only country that has different colours on our flag than we do on our sporting attire

Germany+v+Australia+Group+2010+FIFA+World+K3sBf2h0Hcll.jpg

Italy-vs.-Paraguay-World-Cup-2010.jpg

xin_01208050717280152831319.jpg

Ghana-National-Football-Team.jpg

Issac-Luke-of-the-Kiwis-l-001.jpg

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The biggest misconception is that the union flag has to be 'replaced' by something else if we were to remove it.

The solution is so simple, we just remove it and we'll leave a very elegant design with the Southern Cross (a symbol that unites us all, indigenous folk included) and the Federation Star. No need for divisive design competitions and other nonsense. Just a painless removal of a no longer needed attribute to our flag.

Preferably done with the introduction of our Republic after the passing of QEII.

I could live with that.

VonVolks

Juniors
while the queen is head of state, there is not much point talking about flags!

If you turn into a republic, then you can design a lovely new flag to match.....

little_aza

Juniors
The biggest misconception is that the union flag has to be 'replaced' by something else if we were to remove it.

The solution is so simple, we just remove it and we'll leave a very elegant design with the Southern Cross (a symbol that unites us all, indigenous folk included) and the Federation Star. No need for divisive design competitions and other nonsense. Just a painless removal of a no longer needed attribute to our flag.

Probably the most intelligent solution I've heard regarding the flag issue.

At the end of the day the most important thing is what it represents (nationalism, patriotism, and 'our' symbol) rather than what's actually on it.

Preferably done with the introduction of our Republic after the passing of QEII.

And yes, a republic is necessary sometime in the future. But not yet - it just wouldn't get the support now...the Queen is just reminiscent of a frail and friendly grandmother - the country wouldn't tell her to bugger off now. But once we have King Charles II, Republicanism will be in vogue, and should result in a successful referendum.

Red Bear

Referee
Get your sh*t flag off our stars!

Flag is decent, but not the Union Jack aspect.

I have much more hate for out anthem however.

I thought Mr Angry was going to be talking about the Sharks.

Scoozi.

I am not embarrassed about the Australian flag though.

The other options I have seen offered are laughable.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So you are happy to see the british flag for every gold medal.

I find it embarrassing.

St.George were once part of souths, would you be happy going to a saints game with a bunny in the corner?

God-King Dean

Immortal
Agreed Angry. Whenever I see it I feel a little angry.

I see it as more of a 'roots' flag.

But there's nothing exclusively Australian about it. There are many other nations who use the Southern Cross on their flags.

ozbash

Referee
yea but the sth cross does have more meaning to those of us down here.

the union jack is just a bullying tactic that we should have dealt with many years ago.

aussie could become a republic. Think of all the medals up for grabs at the comm games :)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yea but the sth cross does have more meaning to those of us down here.

the union jack is just a bullying tactic that we should have dealt with many years ago.

aussie could become a republic. Think of all the medals up for grabs at the comm games :)

Sorry to burst your bubble there ozbash, but we'd still be part of the Commonwealth and we'd still be grabbing all those medals in the Games. NZ would still have to pick up the scraps.

If in doubt, think of where the Games were held this year, in the Republic of India.

Slackboy72

Coach
I think we have a lot to be thankful to the british because we inherited a lot of good things from them such as the Westminster system, our system of judicial representation and even rugby league don't forget. But the union jack doesn't represent any of those good things. All it represents is the useless notion of a united british isles which many have died for. The fact that it's also a symbol of british imperialism doesn't help us in our eyes considering the one way nature of our relationship with britain since federation. I understand Mr Angry's feelings on this but unfortunately while we have rednecks like Ray Hadley leading public debate on these things we'll never get a change.

applesauce

Bench
Would love something like this!
flag_australia-300x150.jpg

NZ tried to get this flag through a while back, don't know if it failed or is still in the process:
newzealandflag_redesignfern.jpg

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Agreed Angry. Whenever I see it I feel a little angry.

I see it as more of a 'roots' flag.

But there's nothing exclusively Australian about it. There are many other nations who use the Southern Cross on their flags.

You are not giving the Federation Star its due there. There is a wealth of meaning behind our Federation and the men and women who made it happen.

For two long in this country that part of our history has been left to wither in favour of our military history. This is basically because of the fight being made by the right wing in 'the culture wars'. To them, the only thing of significance is military history. A result of this is the 'kiss the flag' morons at public events like the Big Day Out, idiots who know nothing of history.

Unfashionable as it may be, I'm glad we have the Federation Star on our Flag and hopefully one day it will have its prominence next to the Southern Cross once the union flag is removed.

bazza

Immortal
yep it is pretty lame

but apparently the diggers went to Gallipoli so that we wouldn't change the flag

Mike_Jets

Juniors
Nothing wrong with your flag apart from that horrible red cross in the top corner - just get rid of that bit and it will be fine!

hrundi99

First Grade
I like it the way it is, The history is relevent and I just think its a good looking flag.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
IN AN unprecedented show of strength and purpose, more than a dozen Australians of the Year dating back to the 1960s have declared their support for a new national flag. The present design causes confusion overseas and embarrassment at home, said Patrick McGorry, the 2010 award winner.
''It's time Australia grew up. Right now, it's a bit like a slowly maturing, Generation Y adolescent, a 27-year-old who just won't leave home,'' he said yesterday, calling on the nation to move into ''independent adulthood''.

That time of year.

Piss the British flag off.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/emin...l-goes-out-for-a-new-flag-20110125-1a4b5.html

ozbash

Referee
ah thats right, Souther Cross day, get those beach towels out and belt an Indian...

Latest posts