What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Football players in the NRL?

newman

First Grade
Who says coby? you?

You are just insanely jealous you didn't come up with my documentary idea.

TooheysNew

Coach
Who says coby? you?

You are just insanely jealous you didn't come up with my documentary idea.
And who says it would newy? you?

I think its a good idea. I'm hardly jealous of it, I just think you're naive if you think one player will settle the whole debate.

Talanexor

Juniors
I think anything that gives us big exposure in the States is definitely worth doing. I really like the doco idea.

Rather than a movie though, I think it would be better as a TV series, because you could string it out longer. Maybe spend each episode focusing on one aspect of the game (gradually getting more complex) and get the player to talk about it, and how it's different/similar to gridiron. Then the last 5 mins of each episode is a highlights reel of the player utilising each skill.

So for example, the first episode could be based around basic tackling technique. The player could talk about how we don't use pads and helmets, and how every player has to be able to tackle - no offense/defence teams. Then they could show a couple of bloopers about how he totally stuffs it up at first. And then in the last 5 mins, you see him cut down some guys and put some big hits on.

Bluebag

Juniors
I have so thoroughly enjoyed reading through all this how can you compare them as players go an entire career from peewee to pros in a system as we do , it also takes a lot out of a body with collisions as you notice after a big reseason here the frist game players who are such wonderful athletes are huffing and puffing not so much from the pace but from collisions. How could you expect an NFL player to then change his entire career training regime in a short time rugby league in the US needs to develop minin amd mod league and grow that way.
As far as pre determined plays go they run with a couple of options on all plays which the Quaterback may audible when he sees the defensive structure and so players need to react. I have had the pleasure to attend many games and even training sessions for High School, college and even NFL teams and it is very tough. 2 300 plus guys running into each other is not fun to watch when you hear the collisions and I played touch with them and the only person who ever got tagged was the guy with the ball otherwise it was arms and elbows everywhere blocking.
Just accept the fact that they are different and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. QB; may be looking for a pass receiver as a play suggests but if coverage is there he only has a fraction of a second to find another, get out of the pocket and run or throw it away, it is very tactical and great to attend.

jim_57

Staff member
Love the doco/TV series idea, would have to be South Sydney that does it but would bring alot of exposure if done right.