What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American team in Super League?

langpark

First Grade
Just puttin it out there.

Surely it's more realistic in the future than the likes of Russia and NZ tho. What is it, a six hour flight from east coast America to England? I'm not sure wat the playing standards are like in the USA, but is it possible that they'll enter a team in the Challenge Cup first in coming years?

aarondoyle

Juniors
langpark said:
Just puttin it out there.

Surely it's more realistic in the future than the likes of Russia and NZ tho. What is it, a six hour flight from east coast America to England? I'm not sure wat the playing standards are like in the USA, but is it possible that they'll enter a team in the Challenge Cup first in coming years?

Everyone has an obsession with putting other countries into established competitions. I can understand the reasoning to a certian extent... but I think a place like America would be better off building their own competition. How could you pick one team to represent a whole country like the US?

roughyedspud

Coach
yep moscow is a better bet..

i do propose that the AMNRL winner gets a place in the challenge cup though,

langpark

First Grade
I think the American setup seems to have more potential for the funding required for such a move. To me i doubt the Russians would be able to financially support it, unless they had an Abramovich on their hands.

roopy

Referee
The world is getting smaller.
The important thing is that a team playing out of America would need to be 80% American to get local support, and they are a long way off having 20 or so ESL standard players - but by the time they have the players they will also have the support and the trip over will be faster and cheaper.
In 10 years it could work.

roopy

Referee
Blake Dean said:
Is it? the distance between my house and the co-op is the same as it was 4 years ago. :?
The distance between New York and London will be two beers less when the new Jets come on line.

As to financing a US team - if a team could get on TV in America on a regular basis it would bring league to a potential market that would be bigger than the entire League world at present.
That would add huge value to every sponsership for every club in the ESL.

Putting an NRL side in Melbourne adds dollars to the sponsership of every NRL side because it adds a huge new market - but that is a tiny fraction of the market added to the ESL if you chuck in the biggest economy in the world.

Dakink

Bench
Blake Dean said:
Is it? the distance between my house and the co-op is the same as it was 4 years ago. :?

How old are you 8?

Ever heard of the global village..

Blake Dean

Juniors
Dakink said:
How old are you 8?

Ever heard of the global village..

Wish I was 8. What has age got to do with things?

Your insecure question would suggest you've got it all wrong. No, I've never heard of the global village, at least not since about 1992ish.

Blake Dean

Juniors
roopy said:
The distance between New York and London will be two beers less when the new Jets come on line.

As to financing a US team - if a team could get on TV in America on a regular basis it would bring league to a potential market that would be bigger than the entire League world at present.
That would add huge value to every sponsership for every club in the ESL.

Putting an NRL side in Melbourne adds dollars to the sponsership of every NRL side because it adds a huge new market - but that is a tiny fraction of the market added to the ESL if you chuck in the biggest economy in the world.

Bypass surgery was it? Humour, that is.

roughyedspud said:
what new jets are these then??

I'd say he is referring to the AirBus'. Yes Roopy?

Anyway, I think there is more merit in clubs scoping for a couple of american guys to play in the ESL than a whole club just yet. Maybe that is something to build towards as the local comp and international side gathers some momentum. The AMNRL, whilst making progress is still one comp with a few hundred players. To put it in perspective, the Illawarra comp is bigger. Not to put it down, it's great, its jsut we need more organic growth. More social leagues, 7's comps, schools, kids etc.

The big challenge in my view would be to get a couple of americans playing first grade in the ESL and NRL. Then you get the comps on TV in the states and show them some local guys doing well in some distant high quality exotic leagues. Then you can sell merchandise etc etc and the interest builds.

Young kids out of high school with athletic ability should be targetted for the u/20 comps and fast tracked through acadmey structures developed in the USA as well as other nations. The players will acquire skills, and if they don't make it, will return home to raise the standard of the dometic comps.

I would eventually love to see an competitive AMNRL franchise in the ESL, how cool. would have massive potential for revenue and sponsorship.

roughyedspud

Coach
which are only slightly faster than the 747-400 and won't drastically reduce the travelling time between NYC & london:roll:

Blake Dean

Juniors
roughyedspud said:
which are only slightly faster than the 747-400 and won't drastically reduce the travelling time between NYC & london:roll:

Which is atm, about 8 hours out and 7 back. And there's jet lag to take into account.

Latest posts