What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American team in Super League?

joshreading

Staff member
There actually was a proposal to enter an american team in the Euro Super League in the early days. It was proposed however to be based totally out of England initially with money primarily coming from TV. However it obviously did not get off the ground.

fourplay

Juniors
Blake Dean said:
Wish I was 8. What has age got to do with things?

Your insecure question would suggest you've got it all wrong. No, I've never heard of the global village, at least not since about 1992ish.

i think he meant the village people ?

deluded pom?

Coach
joshreading said:
There actually was a proposal to enter an american team in the Euro Super League in the early days. It was proposed however to be based totally out of England initially with money primarily coming from TV. However it obviously did not get off the ground.

This is completely new to me. As far as I recall only the French team was mentioned alongside English teams at the outset of the ESL.

YANTO

Juniors
aarondoyle said:
Everyone has an obsession with putting other countries into established competitions. I can understand the reasoning to a certian extent... but I think a place like America would be better off building their own competition. How could you pick one team to represent a whole country like the US?
European NFL consists of teams planted in another country.
After a very good development few years (Barcelona.London and Edingburgh) the tally is now
five teams in Germany ( Rhine,Frankfurt,Berlin,Hamburg,Cologne )and one in Holland (Amsterdam)

ALL these teams are 90% US players drafted into europe for the season with a few local guys making the grade.

Top TV coverage and crowds of 20-30,000 + make it a profitable concept.

If the USA could put a francise together why not a side in the SL in ten years time.
After all there is a whisper of a New Zealand team looking to the UK and think of the travel involved for the Super 14's.

The world is getting smaller......

brendothejet

First Grade
there is no doubting that the journey time will shorten as technology increases, but that is here nor there.

It is an interesting idea, but not one that will be working any time soon.

The NRL/ARL/ESL/RFL need to host some big events in america and get some massive crowds to excite a bit of interest and get some knowledge about the game.

State of Origin 4 anyone???

A four nations match?

Who knows..