What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American who knows nothing in search of info on Knights :0)

MKMlovesDaleJr

Juniors
Hi there everyone!

I'm from the US, and really don't know too much about rugby. I've seen a few games on tv, but I'm far from an expert on even how the game is played. Anyway, I've just met a new friend who *LOVES* the Knights. I thought y'all might be able to give me some info on rugby and the team. Obviously you all like to talk about them. Hopefully you wouldn't mind bringing a newcomer up to speed. Thanks so much for any help! :D

-Michelle-

Terminator

First Grade
Welcome, and to start you off its Rugby League we follow on here not Rugby Union or Rugby as you are calling it, a similar but not as brutal or exciting a game as ours.
Have to go to bed soon, stick with us and the Newcastle Knights buddy.

roopy

Referee
Michelle,
Firstly, you should check out the American National Rugby League site at;
http://www.amnrl.com/

and especially the 'rules' section, which is designed to explain the game to Americans;
http://www.amnrl.com/2_rules/index.html

Another site which may interest you is the website of our sister club, the New York Knights at;
http://www.nyknightsrlfc.com/

The New York Knights ran fourth this year in the AMNRL comp, but they won the title in 2002, and the team that won it this year, the Conneticut Wildcats, had about 8 ex Knights players in the side.

Good luck.

roopy

Referee
MKMlovesDaleJr said:
Thank you, those rules were very helpful. A little confusing, but I think I'll get it with time. I appreciate your help. :D

My pleasure.

BTW,
The Newcastle Knights and the New York Knights are just about opposite in every way.

The Newcastle Knights play out of a small industrial city of approx. 250,000 people about 100 miles north of Sydney, and the city has a 95 year history of playing the game of Rugby League. The thing we are most proud of is that we produce nearly all our own players through our junior development programmes. League is the biggest sport in Newcastle easily.

The New York Knights have about 30 players and a few hundred fans and play out of the richest city in the world with a population over 30 times the size of Newcastle. The side is made up of players from all around the world, with as many as twelve different nationalities represented in the squad (American, Australian, Kiwi, Canadian, English and even West Indian and Japanese amongst others). The side formed in 2002.

MKMlovesDaleJr

Juniors
Sounds like Newcastle has a lot to be proud of. It must be great to have the team made up of local players, kind of like rooting for your high school football team. Most major league sports teams in America are made up of players from all over the states, not the city they represent. We love 'em anyway, though. Maybe if this sport becomes popular here they can find more American players.

So have the Knights won any championships or anything? I really don't know anything about the team itself. :D

roopy

Referee
If you have broadband internet access you can watch a bit of Rugby League on the net at;

http://www.amnrl.com/telstra_nrl/index.html

but it is painful over a dialup connection, so i'd only try if you have broadband.

No Knights games unfortunately, because we were knocked out two weeks ago in the first round of semi finals.

roopy

Referee
MKMlovesDaleJr said:
Sounds like Newcastle has a lot to be proud of. It must be great to have the team made up of local players, kind of like rooting for your high school football team. Most major league sports teams in America are made up of players from all over the states, not the city they represent. We love 'em anyway, though. Maybe if this sport becomes popular here they can find more American players.

So have the Knights won any championships or anything? I really don't know anything about the team itself. :D

Newcastle had it's own comp from 1910 till 1988 (we still have the comp, but it is secondary to our national league team now). In 1988 the Newcastle Knights were formed and joined the national comp. Since that time we have won two titles, 1997 and 2001. This year is our 8th straight year of making the semi finals.
Last year we had 6 players in the Australian representative side out of 17 players in that side, so we have a very proud record of produceing top class players. Our best player, Andrew 'Joey' Johns is the best player in the world at the moment, and some say he is the best Rugby League player ever, even better than a guy named Clive Churchill who played in the 1950's, and was also a Newcastle boy.

Rugby League is the 'working class' form of the Rugby game, while Rugby Union is played by the 'upper classes'.
Newcastle is the world's largest producer of coal and was famous for it's steel mills till recently. The best League players come from the coal mining towns of Northern England and the coal mining towns in Northern NSW.

roopy

Referee
Hope you get a few clues out of that.
It is one o'clock in the morning here, so i'll have to go now. My bed is calling me. Bye.

Razor

Coach
If you have (or know someone who does) Fox Sports World they show 1 NRL match every week (5-6 days delayed), and are showing the Grand Final live. I'm sure most of the bigger pubs/clubs will have FSW on one screen most of the time.

Just looked on FSW's website (They have the Rugby League combined with the Rugby Union) they are showing one of the matches last week (Canberra v NZ) at 3:00am ET on 26/9 - that's the only time it's shown.

MKMlovesDaleJr said:
Hi there everyone!

I'm from the US, and really don't know too much about rugby. I've seen a few games on tv, but I'm far from an expert on even how the game is played. Anyway, I've just met a new friend who *LOVES* the Knights. I thought y'all might be able to give me some info on rugby and the team. Obviously you all like to talk about them. Hopefully you wouldn't mind bringing a newcomer up to speed. Thanks so much for any help! :D

-Michelle-

hi, never talk to that friend again, trust me on that one. if ur gonna go for the knights i consider that u dont even bother with footy, support the broncos, thatll set u up with a great club to support. the Brisbane broncos are from the capital of the great state of queensland the underdog state. despite the league trying its best to f**k over the broncos at every oppurtuinity since its so new south wales dominated and they hate any team from queensland, the broncos have won 5 premierships since they were accepted into the league in 1988, newcastle were accepted to the league the same year yet have won 1 premiership and won a mickey mouse premiership. so i think i speak for everyone when i say screw the damn knights with there cheat players (u know half the knights take drugs, the other half cheat on there wives) go for the mighty broncos, a club u can be proud to support with the bulk of the australian national side made up of broncos players including current australian captain Gorden Tallis who is a deadset legend of the game, and the broncos also have the best player in the world in Darren Lockyer and are set up for the future with stars like Brett Seymour, Brent Tate & Corey Parker, despite having our worst season ever this season (yeah our worst season ever and we still made the playoffs!!!!) things are looking up for the mighty broncos! god its good to be a broncos fan :D

Dogs Of War

Coach
MKMlovesDaleJr you need to hear it straight, the knights are a one man team. You should follow a REAL team like the Bulldogs. Then you can give it your the knights supporting mate all day every day cause the Doggies are the best! Pfft, broncos and knights aren't even in the race to win the comp like the dogs.

Doctor

Bench
Welcome Michelle.

It is good to see you taking an interest in our beloved sport. As you have no doubt gathered already there are a majority of League fans who have issues with Rugby Union. They are similar to the unknowledgable eye so don't be surprised if you think they're the same sport - essentially you score tries (4 points in League, 5 in Union), and kick goals and run in the same direction (much like Gridion), but the tactics and methods of getting in the direction you want to go are different.

I don't mind either - I'm definately more of a League fan (we don't have a Rugby Union club representing Newcastle anymore), but don't mind watching the odd Union match on t.v - the Rugby Union World Cup starts in a few weeks and is being played in Australia - I think the U.S even has a side.

I hope you enjoy your stay on this forum - stay for as long as you like, and ask as many questions as you like, it is getting toward the off-season soon so there will be less actual games to talk about.

Razor

Coach
pennywisealfie said:
and won a mickey mouse premiership

HAHAHAHAHAHA

If any comp in 97 was a mickey mouse comp it was the SL comp. It is widely acknowledged (even by the News Ltd own Courier Mail), that the ARL had 4 of the best 5 sides (although they say their SL side was the best of those 5)

MC DUI

Juniors
pennywisealfie said:
MKMlovesDaleJr said:
Hi there everyone!

-Michelle-

hi, never talk to that friend again, trust me on that one. if ur gonna go for the knights i consider that u dont even bother with footy, support the broncos, thatll set u up with a great club to support. the Brisbane broncos are from the capital of the great state of queensland the underdog state. despite the league trying its best to f**k over the broncos at every oppurtuinity since its so new south wales dominated and they hate any team from queensland, the broncos have won 5 premierships since they were accepted into the league in 1988, newcastle were accepted to the league the same year yet have won 1 premiership and won a mickey mouse premiership. so i think i speak for everyone when i say screw the damn knights with there cheat players (u know half the knights take drugs, the other half cheat on there wives) go for the mighty broncos, a club u can be proud to support with the bulk of the australian national side made up of broncos players including current australian captain Gorden Tallis who is a deadset legend of the game, and the broncos also have the best player in the world in Darren Lockyer and are set up for the future with stars like Brett Seymour, Brent Tate & Corey Parker, despite having our worst season ever this season (yeah our worst season ever and we still made the playoffs!!!!) things are looking up for the mighty broncos! god its good to be a broncos fan :D

Hey queer, you want to know why people don't respect you here on the Knights board, you just answered your own question with that steaming pile of sh!t.

Get F'd, all you people on this board who tell me to take this d!ck with a grain of salt can cram it. I ain't putting up with this garbage. :evil:

yeah oops i went over the top last nite, so i think i should apologize, i was pretty wasted last nite, i thought it was funny at the time, looks mean reading it now. but still go for the broncos! not saying this in a rude way or anything but unless u havent got it yet i dont care if people dont respect me on this forum otherwise id say stuff like "johns is a real great player!" and "hey dickhead dont say that the knights are assholes! just coz half of them have personality problems doesnt mean there assholes" and shit like that just to suck up all ur guys asses then u would respect me, isnt that funny, u be fake, u get respected, speak ur mind and ppl hate u, haha.

MC DUI

Juniors
pennywisealfie said:
yeah oops i went over the top last nite, so i think i should apologize, i was pretty wasted last nite, i thought it was funny at the time, looks mean reading it now. but still go for the broncos! not saying this in a rude way or anything but unless u havent got it yet i dont care if people dont respect me on this forum otherwise id say stuff like "johns is a real great player!" and "hey dickhead dont say that the knights are assholes! just coz half of them have personality problems doesnt mean there assholes" and sh*t like that just to suck up all ur guys asses then u would respect me, isnt that funny, u be fake, u get respected, speak ur mind and ppl hate u, haha.

Apology accepted, but you can speak your mind without constantly saying sh!t like Knights players take drugs etc..
It was in the past get over it ok. I don't carry on about super league.

Terminator

First Grade
Thanks Pennywizealfie, your club must be so proud of you, such a fine ambassador for our game, you should be their major recruiting officer for fans, I'm sure your foul language will win them over in droves.
Michelle the Knights are the best forget the rest.

Latest posts