What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL merges with union entity

Any major company with the talented people behind like these guys must be a positive for RL in the USA no matter what side of the fence you sit on. Lets hope they can work with the USARL guys so that their players can be selected for the world cup at least and then in the future work in getting both competitions back together

clarency

Juniors
What happened to Star Group...

Either way. RLIF should be doing something about this. They aren't though.

Fatwing15

Juniors
I think alot of people miss the point. Rugby Union in the States will always dwarf Rugby League. Always! Despite what a few parochial people may feel. This is a huge gain for Rugby League in terms of potential exposure.

The AMNRL doesn't own any team. The teams are benficarys of whatever the AMNRL bring along. I dont think there is anyone in the Knights delusional enough to think the Knights will be a pro team one day. Hopefully one of the players may, as they come through the feeder ranks.

As has always been the case, any team in the AMNRL are riding on the coat tails, not the other way around.

This is a really really accurate post. Union is entrenched in the collegiate ranks. Very few players in the AMNRL or USARL are ever going to play in a "PRO" comp. And if any teams feel they can get more out of riding the USARL's coat tails then they have the option to switch leagues, but it looks like it will be a good influx of cash for the league.

nadera78

Juniors
It's just not acceptable for a private company to own the governing body of a sport. By all means it could run a competition or certain events on behalf of the national body, but to own it outright? No way.

clarency

Juniors
It's just not acceptable for a private company to own the governing body of a sport. By all means it could run a competition or certain events on behalf of the national body, but to own it outright? No way.

I'm just quoting this because some people still don't get it.

PRIVATE COMPANIES SHOULD NOT OWN GOVERNING BODIES OF A SPORT.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
Wasn't the NRL half owned by News Corp for years.

And thats a national league with 100 years of tradition. I don't think fledgling leagues can afford to be too picky.

"The people" don't own the AMNRL anymore than "The people" own the USARL, Super League Rugby or anything else.

Evil Homer

Staff member

And thats a national league with 100 years of tradition. I don't think fledgling leagues can afford to be too picky.

"The people" don't own the AMNRL anymore than "The people" own the USARL, Super League Rugby or anything else.
Yes, the NRL competition, not the ARL, not the sport's governing body. If the AMNRL does not represent the sport's governing body in the USA, then they should immediately relinquish control of the national team. It's painfully obvious that they don't have a f**king clue about their responsibilities or what they are supposed to be.

RedVee

First Grade

The ARL was the code peak body. The NRL comp was half owned by the ARL & News Corp, the ARL ran the Kangaroos and all representative fixtures, development etc.
Now the ARL Commission runs the game, and the NRL competition.

Also, some seem to be thinking that this group owns the Rugby Union governing body as well. The article indicated that they run only the Sevens section of Rugby in the US. Probably because the Rugby boys agree with the feeling of most of the British & Australian posters in this thread... It is improper for a private company to own a sports national governing body.

BODISGOD

Bench
nobody.
very close to the number that believe it.

I'm not suggesting the clubs get a vote on whether the AMNRL remains the national sanctioning body. That is for the RLIF. Time for them to grow a pair.

Utterly irrelevant without the clubs.

What body are they going to set up? Who is going to be in it? It's the clubs and actual grassroots who still decide this thing.

They won't vote for less money.

Just a wild guess.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
My point is, this is not the NRL or ARL.

It is a fledgling league.

See how long you last over here not wanting to co operate with Rugby Union. Anyone who says other wise has no f-ing idea!

This is a big deal. It was a great, pragmatic move for Rugby League.

Evil Homer

Staff member

See how long you last over here not wanting to co operate with Rugby Union. Anyone who says other wise has no f-ing idea!

It doesn't matter if it's a bloody U7's competition, you cannot have the national governing body owned by a third party company! The RLIF can no longer afford not to step in. In any other sport the AMNRL would have been permanently expelled from the international federation without hesitation for this (to be honest, in any other sport the AMNRL would have been stripped of its authority last year, but that's a different story). The fact that people like you continue to try and defend these actions and apparently think it's ok for an alleged national governing body to behave in this way is absolutely baffling to me, and evidently many others too.

druzik

Juniors
Wasn't Star Group menat to have owned the AMNRL brand?

How does this deal with GP effect that?

The positive that has to come out of this is that teams will have to get out of high school grounds and parks. If teams do not see any money or any improvement in their comp then how will they see this as a positive?

The Knight are the only ones with a proper stadium, no?

Evil Homer

Staff member
The positive that has to come out of this is that teams will have to get out of high school grounds and parks. If teams do not see any money or any improvement in their comp then how will they see this as a positive?
Why will they? Are you suggesting that this company have signed up to broadcast the AMNRL competition in some capacity? I find that hard to believe considering last season they had no fixed schedule and only 3 clubs that could regularly raise a team.

Is it even worth asking if the clubs were consulted about this?

druzik

Juniors
Why will they? Are you suggesting that this company have signed up to broadcast the AMNRL competition in some capacity? I find that hard to believe considering last season they had no fixed schedule and only 3 clubs that could regularly raise a team.

Is it even worth asking if the clubs were consulted about this?

Well, if the comp is to go pro, then the clubs have to see money come in from the governing body like the NRL clubs do.

If they don't, if the money is only kept with the people that run the AMNRL then I think they are getting robbed.

Now GP sports is broadcasting the Union, so you would think that this has to be some end goal with Rugby league as well? The issue I see is that none of the grounds that the clubs have are TV worthy, thus any TV deal will not happen.

To me it seems that the next year and a half is make or break for the AMNRL. If they can't get the game off the ground with everything they have at the moment then they will never manage it.

druzik

Juniors

MK can I ask you a few questions, maybe you can answer them fior me, since it seems you are involved with the Knights club.

1. Were the clubs or was your club consulted about Grand Prix Sports acquisition of the AMNRL?

2. Is GP Sports actually acquiring the AMNRL?

3. Do you know anything about the AMNRL threatening to sue the RLIF is they had stripped them of their power when the split happened?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Well, if the comp is to go pro, then the clubs have to see money come in from the governing body like the NRL clubs do.

If they don't, if the money is only kept with the people that run the AMNRL then I think they are getting robbed.

Now GP sports is broadcasting the Union, so you would think that this has to be some end goal with Rugby league as well? The issue I see is that none of the grounds that the clubs have are TV worthy, thus any TV deal will not happen.

To me it seems that the next year and a half is make or break for the AMNRL. If they can't get the game off the ground with everything they have at the moment then they will never manage it.
How can the comp go pro? They don't have any clubs or any professional standard players, no juniors and the current administrators struggled to organize a low-level amateur competition last year. Given these facts I cannot see any logical benefits from this association at the moment, and that's without even taking into account its apparent horrendously unconstitutional nature.

druzik

Juniors
How can the comp go pro? They don't have any clubs or any professional standard players, no juniors and the current administrators struggled to organize a low-level amateur competition last year. Given these facts I cannot see any logical benefits from this association at the moment, and that's without even taking into account its apparent horrendously unconstitutional nature.

All fair questions that many people I am sure want answered.

gyallop

Juniors
Homer Australian Rugby League is now effectively owned by a self perpetuating private company. Since 1998 the NRL was a partnership like the new USA set up half owned by News Ltd and half owned by the ARL which itself was owned by 2 private companies the QRL and NSWRL so effectively the rest of Australia was excluded from "ownership". Both the QRL and NSWRL are closed nepatistic groups where the public have no say.

Australia RL went from semi pro to where it is today under the NRL partnership so now that the USA game finally has some funding lets hope it succeeds and rather then posting negativity why dont writers work on positive ideas that may help rather then hinder those on the ground making a real effort.

I call BS on your baseless statement on the USA game 4 of my mates played in the 2 comps last year and both comps had a few challenges but they say that in the main they ran well.

Latest posts