What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL merges with union entity

Evil Homer

Staff member
It was only a matter of time before they did something like this, IMO. Surely the RLIF can no longer afford to sit back, they need to take action now before this becomes even more of a mess than it already is.

nadera78

Juniors
How on earth can the RLIF allow a private company to own a governing body? This is just ridiculous.

www.grandprixentertainment.com/inde...nal-rugby-league&catid=25:featured&Itemid=280

Grand Prix Sports, a subsidiary of Grand Prix Entertainment, LLC, a Los Angeles-based sports and entertainment company, announced the acquisition of The American National Rugby League (“AMNRL”), the governing body for the development of the “American football like” sport of Rugby League in the USA. The AMNRL is exclusively sanctioned by the Rugby League International Federation (“RLIF”).

GTL

Juniors
Why is this a bad thing, Grand Prix Sports has money and the ability to have games televised.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Why is this a bad thing, Grand Prix Sports has money and the ability to have games televised.
If you can't see what is fundamentally wrong about a so-called national governing body being owned by a private third-party company, then there really is no hope for you.

Choo Choo

Juniors
I hope he ran this by the teams before he did it as he doesn't actually own the teams in the comp.

GTL

Juniors
Evil Homer you are so clueless about what is going on in the states it is downright amusing. There is no money to support League it is all done through small sponsorship, fund raising and the generosity of a few individuals. If Grand Prix wants to put up some capital it should be applauded.

krudmonk

Juniors
Evil Homer you are so clueless about what is going on in the states it is downright amusing. There is no money to support League it is all done through small sponsorship, fund raising and the generosity of a few individuals. If Grand Prix wants to put up some capital it should be applauded.
The problem is not with what you say, but rather the fact that you think it ends there.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I think its a great idea and cant see anything wrong with, more exposure and more funds, no one is changing anything with the game

Western_Eel

Juniors
If you can't see what is fundamentally wrong about a so-called national governing body being owned by a private third-party company, then there really is no hope for you.

Well its no longer a national body then, whats the problem?
Is the NRL or SL privately owned?

league13

Juniors
I hope he ran this by the teams before he did it as he doesn't actually own the teams in the comp.

That's the problem.I don't think he consults anyone and I can't see why others in the AMNRL can't see,or don't want to see this.

Last edited:

Bronco Rob

Juniors
“We’re very pleased to add the sport of Rugby League, led by our new partners at Star Group Communications, to Grand Prix’s sport investment portfolio.” Said Alan Rothenberg, Chairman of Grand Prix Sports. “The AMNRL has been making great strides in the development of Rugby League across America. Acquiring the exclusive rights to Rugby League is a major Grand Prix score on and off the field.”
Seen by many as a move to consolidate its growing influence on the “Father of American Football,” Grand Prix Founder William Tatham said, “Clearly International Rugby Board (“IRB”) Union Rugby is the NFL of world rugby, but RLIF Rugby League is a formidable foe both on and off the field and growing stronger every day. Thus, we felt this expansion was a very important move for Grand Prix in our efforts to package the “Contact Sport of the World” and compete in the United States “Sports Market of the World.”

When I first read the article I was worried but also at the same time eager to see how this pans out. At least they know the differentiation between the 2 codes and can see the potential the game of RL has in the US. The association with RU worries me but this merge could also may be the kickstart the game needs in the US.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
I think alot of people miss the point. Rugby Union in the States will always dwarf Rugby League. Always! Despite what a few parochial people may feel. This is a huge gain for Rugby League in terms of potential exposure.

The AMNRL doesn't own any team. The teams are benficarys of whatever the AMNRL bring along. I dont think there is anyone in the Knights delusional enough to think the Knights will be a pro team one day. Hopefully one of the players may, as they come through the feeder ranks.

As has always been the case, any team in the AMNRL are riding on the coat tails, not the other way around.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Yes, that shouldn't require selling the governing body for the sport to a third party company. If you are attempting to defend this, then you are a complete and utter moron.

RedVee

First Grade
To me this means that the RLIF must seek another national body to represent RL in the US.
The AMNRL & USARL may continue as competitions under the auspices of the new national body which will also control all representative matches.

BODISGOD

Bench
Not sure I trust this company. To be fair a lot of the things they've done look good/great for RU. TV coverage for their planned competition. Selling a franchise.

Though these competitions they've proposed are extremely hollow. Yeah it sounds good but who are they planning to sign upto play? At least their League proposals involve actual teams (their World Club championship proposal and Origin one connected).

Still though, the list of names involved is impressive given their CVs. And they are investing in the games, if it doesn't involve whole sale hijacking then it's a good thing.

Seems to stem out of Rugby Sevens and the Olympics. Benefits for both eh? Who would have thought it...:)

BODISGOD

Bench
To me this means that the RLIF must seek another national body to represent RL in the US.
The AMNRL & USARL may continue as competitions under the auspices of the new national body which will also control all representative matches.

If this brings money into the AMNRL then no club will be voting for that organisation to lose their power.

RedVee

First Grade
Not sure I trust this company. To be fair a lot of the things they've done look good/great for RU. TV coverage for their planned competition. Selling a franchise.

Though these competitions they've proposed are extremely hollow. Yeah it sounds good but who are they planning to sign upto play? At least their League proposals involve actual teams (their World Club championship proposal and Origin one connected).

Still though, the list of names involved is impressive given their CVs. And they are investing in the games, if it doesn't involve whole sale hijacking then it's a good thing.

Seems to stem out of Rugby Sevens and the Olympics. Benefits for both eh? Who would have thought it...:)

nobody.
very close to the number that believe it.

If this brings money into the AMNRL then no club will be voting for that organisation to lose their power.

I'm not suggesting the clubs get a vote on whether the AMNRL remains the national sanctioning body. That is for the RLIF. Time for them to grow a pair.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I think alot of people miss the point. Rugby Union in the States will always dwarf Rugby League. Always! Despite what a few parochial people may feel. This is a huge gain for Rugby League in terms of potential exposure.

The AMNRL doesn't own any team. The teams are benficarys of whatever the AMNRL bring along. I dont think there is anyone in the Knights delusional enough to think the Knights will be a pro team one day. Hopefully one of the players may, as they come through the feeder ranks.

As has always been the case, any team in the AMNRL are riding on the coat tails, not the other way around.

Got next weeks lotto numbers available?

Latest posts