What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An alternative to an American pro comp

roopy

Referee
I was reading the other day that Japan is a possible team for inclusion in the super twelve RU comp.
That got me thinking about an old idea brought up about a west coast american team for the NRL and an East coast american team for the ESL.

Maybe getting two pro teams in America playing in the two tops comps in the world would be a more realistic objective than starting up a whole pro comp?

To save exjnrkiwi a bit of typing, I know this is a wild idea and it is totally out of left field, but since we are getting very little information out of America at present I thought it would be something to talk about.

roopy

Referee
Stevo_G said:
i don't think so
You don't think it is a good idea?
or you don't think it is a wild idea?

I'm guessing you don't think it is a good idea.

roopy

Referee
El Garbo said:
Wouldn't it be a little expensive to travel to and fro from the USA?

I don't think it would be, or not wildly more expensive than travelling to and fro from NZ.
The big thing would be the jet lag factor. If teams could put up with that I think it would be a goer.
One way to do that would be for the LA team to play three in a row in Aus and three in a row at home or similar all season. That would cut their trips by 2/3rds (one trip for every three games).
The teams going to play them would only have to make the trip once a year, so jet lag wouldn't take a terrible toll on their players, like it would on a team that had to travel 15 hours on a regular basis.

joshreading

Staff member
At one point a US group were trying to get a team in the Euro Super League. They wanted it actually though to be based in England but play with US and Canadian Players totally and were tyring to get FOX to cover the team then after a couple of years launch a US Super League.

I had the Web address for this at one time but I think it is gone now.

ExJnrKiwi

Juniors
roopy said:
To save exjnrkiwi a bit of typing, I know this is a wild idea and it is totally out of left field, but since we are getting very little information out of America at present I thought it would be something to talk about.

Getting a bit desperate for discussion material aren't we.

roopy

Referee
ExJnrKiwi said:
roopy said:

Getting a bit desperate for discussion material aren't we.
Short answer - yes.

yankeeboy

Juniors
I think that that is a wonderful idea, but, yes, it is a bit wild at the moment. I think that a smaller scale, XFL size competition would be the best idea. It would be just like the XFL, without the gridiron and the Pro Wrestling. It'd work!

Big Bunny

Juniors
The travel aspect wouldn't be a problem for a well funded US team, but for the lower placed Superleague teams they would realize they are out of their true depth in terms of funding. There used to be a US based team playing in Ireland's Gaelic football league, so it as been shown to work.

yankeeboy

Juniors
The US (New York GAA) and London still do participate in the GAA All-Ireland Football and Hurling championships. However, there is no "Gaelic Football League," it is an amateur knock-out competition, played against the 32 counties of Ireland.

Latest posts