What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And more good news......Parish to stay.

IFR33K

Coach
Took Hasler five years to win his first premiership. Took Cleary six to even make a grand final.

Even cheating the cap it took Bellamy five years to 'win' a grand final.

Not everyone is as good as Michael Hagan and wins it with a one year plan.

I aint expecting RS to snag us a comp in 2013, and I also wasn't expecting the spoon this year.

Hasler was improving his team gradually year after year, before they became a force and snagged 2 comps, and possibly cheated out of a 3rd.

Im sure Cleary's stint at the warriors will be similar.

None of those coaches had their teams regress and 'win' spoons either. That is left for 'super coach'.

Eels Dude

Coach
I aint expecting RS to snag us a comp in 2013, and I also wasn't expecting the spoon this year.

Hasler was improving his team gradually year after year, before they became a force and snagged 2 comps, and possibly cheated out of a 3rd.

Im sure Cleary's stint at the warriors will be similar.

None of those coaches had their teams regress and 'win' spoons either. That is left for 'super coach'.

Yeah exactly. Manly under Hasler went from 13th in his first year, to 8th, then 5th, then 2nd, then a premiership. There was notable improvement along the way. In two year Supercoach took us backwards in his first year, then to rock bottom in his second. And with no positive signs for the future either in regards to recruitment etc. Things are looking up with Ricky and his coaching staff, and Edwards who now fulfill a much needed role that SK didn't want.

IFR33K

Coach
Yeah exactly. Manly under Hasler went from 13th in his first year, to 8th, then 5th, then 2nd, then a premiership. There was notable improvement along the way. In two year Supercoach took us backwards in his first year, then to rock bottom in his second. And with no positive signs for the future either in regards to recruitment etc. Things are looking up with Ricky and his coaching staff, and Edwards who now fulfill a much needed role that SK didn't want.

But its hindmarsh's fault. Worst captain ever.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why does it have to be anybody's fault? If anything caused our last placed finish it's Hayne's injury.

Was it all because of Hagan and Stuart that they won premierships in their first year? Or is it a combination of circumstances that led to them being in the right place at the right time?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Lady lucky also plays a part - look at Tim sheens , at the raiders had one of the greatest player rosters of all time - then in 05 was just lucky both favourites for the comp both choked . At the cowboys without any luck, his side is just crap no matter how much money he spent on players

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Look at Wayne Bennett - the Dragons and Knights both made the finals in 2011. He changed clubs in the off season and both clubs got worse.

Same thing happened with Cleary and the Warriors and Panthers. Luck plays a massive part, especially in the first few years of a coach's tenure.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Isn't worth getting overly excited about imo. Any years of being in a system in an inflated/illegally assembled squad are not necessarily worth anything on an even playing field. Especially not for employing at our club, that was dudded by the cheating mongrels!

If that's the case Bart, I'll be looking forward to you standing infront of the board and members next year declaring a no confidence motion on the board due to the appointment of Dean Pay...

Maroubra Eel

Coach
If that's the case Bart, I'll be looking forward to you standing infront of the board and members next year declaring a no confidence motion on the board due to the appointment of Dean Pay...

I'll second it. Is the Leagues Club or Football Club AGM?

Kornstar

Coach

What years was Pay there? Genuine question by the way.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'll second it. Is the Leagues Club or Football Club AGM?

It wouldn't matter, it would still require you from actually getting out if the house to attend. And we all know how much you enjoy the comfort of your own bedroom in front of a computer screen.

Gronk

Staff member
So we get rid of our assistant coach Brad Arthur and sign Manly's assistant coach. Then Manly sign our old assistant coach ?

I would like to hear Pou's view on this ASAP. That way I can quickly conclude my opposing view.

Pou ?