What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

j0nesy

Bench
Class is still there but confidence is shot. Something is wrong with him mentally right now. He needs the support of the fans more than ever.

LINESPEED

Juniors
What sort of game plan would be that foreign and undigestible to any half back?

They played what was in front of them on Anzac Day and vs Storm Rd 1, has Mary really stifled that attractive style?

Going from Bennett to Mary would mess with anyone's head.
Stick Hunt to 9 this weekend & tell him to run - & have Jai, Luc & Sims running off him.

Include some desire by playing guys who want the gig - like Lomax, Field & Herbert .
At least they have combinations & speed

hazzbeen

Bench
When you are earning a million a year you get on the field and do your job.

I understand he can't do it alone, but he can still show some leadership, give some spark, bark at the forwards, run the ball at times, show some passion, play tough and look interested.

I don't expect him to get us home by himself, but the things I wrote above I do expect of him.

And he does not do any of those.

Extremely disappointing
This ..... show something , anything to me he looks like he is sooking . He needed a game away to get his head together .....

BBTB

Juniors
Yeah he has.
His reactionary mind has seen the success we had early and not wanting to see us choke has gone the defensive mistake free football approach.
No offloads, no backline moves, no individual plays, just mistake free forward plays, every team knows this and plays us accordingly.
Yes he has... He's an ignorant imposter.. That has no clue what,has to be done.
After the Dogs debacle...
I think his ,let's defend.. Mentality... Has LOST...the dressing room.
McGregor get to f**k out...

LINESPEED

Juniors
Really though, what do you expect?
I'm sure Ben went to Mary a number of weeks ago with the question about what to do differently to turn the Titanic around.
I'd imagine this was Mary's response......

"Well Benny, our game plan is based on defence and the power game, so I want you to catch the ball, offload it to a forward and let them run into the line and get tackled, other times I want you to get out of the way so my first choice halfback. JDB, can play is late season preferred role of first receiver. You do that and it'll all come up roses. Plus if you can buy me some paint too the gym needs a bit of a touch up"

JDB needs a week off.
I'd play Kerr this week on the bench as he reminds me of Luc before he realised he's big enough to bust any line. We need another big bopper.
Host went well I thought
Benny won't be there next year if Mary's not sacked

Last edited:

Maroon4life

Juniors
He's 28 and has been an NRL fullback for 5 years now, I don't think he's going to develop the game management qualities you'd look for in a halfback normally. If he had them the Broncos would never have let him go.

When Widdop is back on the field you'll go back to seeing the best of Benny, Widdop will run the show and he can just go back to playing to his instinctive strengths of running and playing whats in front of him.

He won us heaps of game with individual brillance and could crack open a game at any point but would always struggle to make the correct plays when they were needed for tighter games.

He's 28 and has been an NRL fullback for 5 years now, I don't think he's going to develop the game management qualities you'd look for in a halfback normally. If he had them the Broncos would never have let him go.

When Widdop is back on the field you'll go back to seeing the best of Benny, Widdop will run the show and he can just go back to playing to his instinctive strengths of running and playing whats in front of him.
Yeah, nice dream, unfortunately our club captain has the same ability to go missing when the going gets tough.

lynx000

Juniors

He won us heaps of game with individual brillance and could crack open a game at any point but would always struggle to make the correct plays when they were needed for tighter games.

Completely agree with this. I posted in the Sack McGregor thread before the season started that if Mary thought he had bought a game managing half back with Hunt, that he was delusional.

Mr Red

First Grade

Hunt was bought to run the show so Widdop could go back to his strengths.... however Widdop often goes missing in action in big matches as does Hunt it seems...

Maroon4life

Juniors
Hunt was bought to run the show so Widdop could go back to his strengths.... however Widdop often goes missing in action in big matches as does Hunt it seems...

I’d be surprised if anyone thought Hunt would bring that aspect, 3 years as the broncos #7 he never showed that he had that in his game. Strong defender and good runner of the ball though.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
More than happy with Hunt at SGI, but I’m very concerned with his mental state as evidenced by his kick that was effectively drilled way over the dead ball line midway through the second half.

Does he want to return to Queensland?

grouch

First Grade
Good coaches turn reserve graders into origin players (Bennett - Soward)
Bad coaches turn origin players into reserve graders

More than happy with Hunt at SGI, but I’m very concerned with his mental state as evidenced by his kick that was effectively drilled way over the dead ball line midway through the second half.

Does he want to return to Queensland?
Broncos don’t want him back he can’t handle pressure games can only play good when there is no pressure like beginning of the year Bennett realised that after he went back to the broncos

FlameThrower

Bench
Good coaches turn reserve graders into origin players (Bennett - Soward)
Bad coaches turn origin players into reserve graders
The game is littered with great players who went off the rails in and off the field. Good coaching has nothing to do with it in some cases. I truly believe he wants out and can’t be bothered. Warning signs have been there for months ..

Ribs

Bench
Hunt is playing in a system that offers nothing and a team with no confidence in what they are doing. Add to that the fact that we have zero pace out wide, utterly zero. Teams can defend tight in the middle knowing we have no threat outside, if we can actually get the ball to our outside backs, then so what? They aren't quick enough to take advantage and defences can cover.

Playing against a defensive line that plays that tight in the middle and backs that are total sh*tbags is a terrible combination for a halfback. You want him to run, run where? I don't blame him for being low on confidence when the club has given him nothing to play with.

Hunt is playing in a system that offers nothing and a team with no confidence in what they are doing. Add to that the fact that we have zero pace out wide, utterly zero. Teams can defend tight in the middle knowing we have no threat outside, if we can actually get the ball to our outside backs, then so what? They aren't quick enough to take advantage and defences can cover.

Playing against a defensive line that plays that tight in the middle and backs that are total sh*tbags is a terrible combination for a halfback. You want him to run, run where? I don't blame him for being low on confidence when the club has given him nothing to play with.
Except for Widdop your talking about the same backs that had us scoring more tries in the first 10-12 weeks of the comp they weren’t being told they were told they had no pace out wide then so what’s changed .....that’s easy it always seems after origin they seem to decide they’ve done enough plus the fact and I don’t know if this McGregor or the players but they’ve gone back to just playing one out football and in today’s game u play like that your going to lose

The game is littered with great players who went off the rails in and off the field. Good coaching has nothing to do with it in some cases. I truly believe he wants out and can’t be bothered. Warning signs have been there for months ..
Yeah think your right he just doesn’t want to be here playing for us and that’s been since just after coming back fro origin footy

Latest posts