What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And they continue to whinge......

Loudstrat

Coach
Looking at this saga neutrally (which is hard, as somebody who has taken to the Storm since moving here, is very different) I think the biggest thing to come out of all this is how the Storm players and club have just not coped with the extra scrutiny they get by being Premiers.

Melbourne players generally go under the radar in the northern states & whilst they have loyal vocal fans at games could probably go shopping at Safeway and not have anyone notice them. Hence the club has reacted with shock and horror at the media attention the Smith offence received instantly in RL heartland Brisbane. They aren't used to it & have probably shown that they aren't horribly good at dealing with it all.

Excellent point.

It surprises me that people are shocked that the Premiers will not be scrutinised more closely than teams who aren't in the finals or don't achieve much. Especially in a country like Australia where tall poppies are despised, people are itching to bring them down. They are itching to start up campaigns than blacken their name. They are looking at angry they can to bring the big fish down.

But putting my Melbourne hat on, I have to say that the whole grapple tackle/chicken wing thing has gone way overboard. It has basically been seen as a Storm problem with other teams and players getting off scott-free. It goes without saying that the Storm players feel like victims, because let's face it, they are. Because they are premiers (and are playing finals with saturation coverage in Brisbane & Sydney) the things they do get twisted into the whole issue being clouded as as a "Melbourne/Craig Bellamy problem". Melbourne have no lobby down here to stick up for them, so they are basically lambs to the slaughter with little avenue for recourse. You may ask why the Storm are sensitive. Try living here, where the public range from generally apathy to outright hostility, Channel 9 treat the team with disdain. And nobody comes out in the media sticking up for the team, or even writing articles from a Storm point of view.

The way to really stick it up their critics on Sunday is to win WITHOUT Cameron Smith (& Hoffmann). That will drive the Sydney scribes trying to artificially hype us a NSW vs Victoria state vs state 'hatred' completely nuts.

STICK IT UP EM STORMERS! :cool:

JF

Not so excellent point.

All clubs are scrutinised by the media on this point. In every game on 9 grapples and chicken wings are pointed out. Often hear Gus and co mention Aubusson and others.

What Melbourne don't see is the vast network of spoken and written words in the media about this stuff about all clubs. You only see the bits relevent to Melbourne. How much did you see about Perry's headbutt against Newcastle? Or O'Donnell's massive spat with (from memory) Laffranchi?

None. That's why you lot are paranoid and insular.

Loudstrat

Coach
f**k meeeeee! A person can't have a bit of fun in here? Footy is a dead set serious thing, right up there with the war in Iraq! Lighten up Sorcy.

The war in Iraq was wrong.

Footy is more serious. Otherwise newspapers wouldn't have doubled in size in the last 2 weeks with stories about Melbourne whinging!

Bman26

Juniors
I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up yet, but the example that people continue to use about not catching everyone who speeds or steals etc is completely invalid. Those people are not caught on footage from at least 3 or 4 different angles and do not have a special committee sitting down weekly to view such footage.

That line of thinking results in a logical conclusion of removing the match review committee and just have a judiciary, whatever gets caught by the police(referee) is sent to the court(judiciary) and that person is dealt with, anything the police(referee) miss becomes like a speeding driver who gets away with it etc

Possibly the worst example that people come up with all to often.

The Dodger

First Grade
heres my two cents worth.

Melbourne are well known for their tactics.

you want to talk about consistancy?
melbourne have been consistantly making tackles like this for years, the rest have just followed their path as there was no other way (if you cant beat them, then join them).

they are the ones that started the grapple and the chicken wing (and whatever other farkn stupid name people have come up with)

the tackle that rogers got suspended for, i clearly remember brent tate copping the same tackle when they beat the storm a few weeks ago.

in a set of six, melbourne are more likely to make 2-3 of these tackles where other teams will probably make one in each set of six.

cam smith deserves what he gets.

he first goes on about how he wasnt at fault. he even got his buddies to jump in and go on about how he is the australian captain and that we should believe what he is saying because he is the messiah.

now he turns around and admits that he has done wrong but is now complaining about how the judiciary isnt being inconsistant.

the only inconsistancies here is his farkn whinging.

so please excuse us cam if we have become sick of you and your scummy teams antics, because you have no one else to blame, but yourselves.

ill tell you what cam.

if we go back to every game and charge every player with this charge, i bet you, your club will have to resort to playing quite a few of your reserve grade for the next few games.

what do you reckon cam?

StormChaser

First Grade
SC your continued inability to argue without abuse is a waste of time.
Therefore you are now on my ignore list.
Go annoy someone else with your nonsense.

Yes Dad. So you won't see this? *gives finger* Bite meeeee! :roll:

t1tan

Juniors
Thats what happens when you speak before thinking,now the storm are gonna learn the hard way.

Loudstrat

Coach
:lol::lol:

So what's the whinge for 40-0? Sydney media against them? The bookies and the judiciary? Ricky Stuart? Nathan Brown? Fitzy?????

Pathetic.

StormChaser

First Grade
No whinging. They lost soundly to a much better team. Manly were on fire, nobody was going to beat them today.

StormChaser

First Grade
You mean PHAT. Yes I am. Shoulda done a streak or something to inspire the boys.
You found your pecker yet? Or you still gonna "throw hands" at me? LMAO!