What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns Bombshell???

Ubsy

Juniors
I heard on the radio tonight, that the Sunday tele will have an exclusive Andrew Johns bombshell about next year.
Any tips on what this maybe?

Is he going to retire?

The Devil

Bench
I remember an announcement that there was going to be "big news" in a sunday tele, and the only news on the Knights was that we had a 'chance' of signing Jamie Lyon which was reported by Rebecca Wilson. So while it does and probably is big news, don't discount that it might be dud news.

roopy

Referee
I've been tipping it all year - but i think he might play a season in England first, if he is fit.
Now would be a good time to announce it. The final rounds and the finals would have double the meaning for the boys.

cram

Bench
Who knows....I suggest u dont buy the paper but...last time taught us that.

RABK

Referee
Bet you any money it's to announce he'll be playing on to end any speculation of retirement.

Jono078

Referee
If anything I hope it's him saying next year is his last so we can start looking for a replacement now.

northey

First Grade
he is signed until 2008 so there would be a nasty backlash from some fans if he doesn't play next year

cram

Bench
I actually wonder how he is feeling about Brian Smith being coach. What we have heard over the years about Brian's style won't sit well with Joey. Joey very much likes to be in control and the top dog, however, Brian Smith is also like to control. So an early exit would not suprise me.

Jono078

Referee
northey said:
he is signed until 2008 so there would be a nasty backlash from some fans if he doesn't play next year

It may have been fine with me if he announced it months ago so we could have a crack at signing some quality players.. But now would just make it hard on the club, so I would be angry tbh.

roopy

Referee
Jono078 said:
It may have been fine with me if he announced it months ago so we could have a crack at signing some quality players.. But now would just make it hard on the club, so I would be angry tbh.
If it is true - he would have told the club that he was thinking about it at least months ago - if not told them he was going.

Ben

Bench
Well last times big news didn't eventuate, so i wasn't very happy. Add to that i don't even get the Telegraph so i won't know what is going on until i log on here.

Spitty

Juniors
"Bombshell" is the type of word newpapers use to get you to buy their paper. 99.9% of the time the news is not what you would call a "bombshell" but it's too late to complain after you've brought the paper.

Not only would I be upset if Joey announced his retirement this late, I'd be even more upset if he did it in a Newspaper article that is exclusive to a particular brand of newspaper. Highly unlikely.

General Knight

Juniors
Spitty. TA. said:
"Bombshell" is the type of word newpapers use to get you to buy their paper. 99.9% of the time the news is not what you would call a "bombshell" but it's too late to complain after you've brought the paper.

Just have a quick browse at the paper while you are in the newsagent! Lol. I see so many tightarses do that, especially in the supermarkets.

TooheysNew

Coach
Ho hum.
I won't quit but...

By Barry Toohey

August 06, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

ANDREW Johns has refuted any suggestion he is considering retirement at the end of the season but has admitted he was thinking of ending his career at the Knights without the added burden of the captaincy.

"I'm playing again next season without a doubt," he said.

"Beyond that, I'm still not sure. I've signed for 2008 but I've told the Knights I will let theclub know around the middle of next year and it will probably depend on how the body feels.

"As for the captaincy, it is something I am thinking about - whether to keep doing it or handing it off to Bedsy (Danny Buderus) next year."

The game's best player also claimed:

Bulldogs prop Roy Asotasi is now the premier front-rower in the game and among the top five players in the Telstra Cup.

Melbourne are the NRL's best team.

The game is now quicker and more physically demanding than ever but not as skilful.

The Knights have to find 10 per cent improvement across the board to be a serious title threat.

Best five players:

"In no particular order, my best this year are Roy Asotasi, Cameron Smith, Buderus, Mark Gasnier and Ben Kennedy.

"Asotasi is the best prop in the game at the moment. He has speed, power, footwork and is developing his ball skills and isan outstanding signing for the Rabbitohs.

"Smith has all the skills and can play hooker, halfback, five-eighth. He can kick in general play, is a top goal-kicker and is a huge influence on Storm.

"Bedsy and BK (Kennedy) are similar in that I haven't seen players with the courage, tenacity and sheer competitiveness they possess to play at the peak of their games just about every week."

Best team:

"How can you go past Melbourne, who are redefining the way teams play through their hunger and the precise way they go ahead with their business by working as one unit.

"They are near impregnable in Melbourne and in the form they have been in, it is going to take an exceptional performance from a rival team to beat them in the big games ahead."

Standard:

"David Gallop and the boys don't have too much to worry about. Maybe the skill levels have dropped a little but the game is faster and more physical than ever."

Knights:

"We started on fire but hit a rut which we are working our way out of. To win it, we'll have to find an extra 10 per cent across the board to compete with the likes of the Storm and Bulldogs down the stretch."

Own form:

"Similar to the team in many respects and I really struggled for motivation mid-season. But I'm snapping out of it after an attitude re-adjustment and looking forward to the charge to the playoffs.

"I'm not playing as well individually as I have done but I'd like to think I'm still contributing well to the team."

Brian Smith:

"I haven't spoken to Brian at all about next season yet and I haven't thought too much about it to be honest.

"But he is a great student of the game who has had a lot of success. He will come here with different ideas and I'm certain there will be things I can learn from him.

"Michael Hagan has been a great coach for the club and a great personal friend of mine and that won't change. He will be a success at Parramatta."

Captaincy:

"It is something I am thinking about tossing in. I still love the training and playing but the other stuff, the added pressure and the scrutiny which comes with being captain I could probably do without.

"I'll talk to Brian and Bedsy about it to see what they think. Maybe it is time for Bedsy to take some of the heat."

England:

"Going back to Warrington to end my career when it's all over here is a strong possibility - but it depends on how the body is. If I went over there again, it would only be to Warrington. I only played three games with them but I still keep in touch with a few of the boys."
http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,20031394-5001023,00.html

The Devil

Bench
OMG that bombshell shellshocked me to high hevean! That news just blew me away and i'm so devastated! I'm so glad i bought the tele so i could find out this shocking news [/sarcasm]

Honestly, this 'news' changes nothing, just because he won't be the one called out upon by the referee doesn't change the fact that he still leads the team around on the park.