What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns questions Dragons' recruitment of Ben Hunt as pressure rises

Life's Good

Coach
Why is Hunts contract the only one that gets scrutiny?

DCE, Ash Taylor, Milford, Pearce, Cleary all signed similar deals and none have come close to a premiership after signing big contracts . Jason Taumalolo signed a $10 million dollar deal and the Cows are rubbish. Jack Bird can’t even get on the park.

I wish people in the media would leave Hunt be, as others have said he is the least of our problems.

Couldn’t agree more. Whilst he has his brain fades at least he keeps fronting up irrespective of the criticism. Ash Taylor, for example, goes missing completely.
As mentioned & quite obviously, our issues lie elsewhere.

SBD82

Coach
Yes I do.
Bellamy is an astute coach and if he didn't think Croft was the way forward he would already be planning the future.
If the future meant Hunt was the answer he would secure Hunt's services and as that is not happening I must assume that Bellamy sees more value in what he has on the books already.
After all he did lose Cronk and had several options at his door and Hunt wasn't one of them.
What strange logic.

Just to clarify, you’re saying that if Bellamy was to choose between Croft and Hunt, he would choose Croft because Hunt isn’t in his squad, so he can’t pick Hunt.

How did I go?

Old Timer

Coach
What strange logic.

Just to clarify, you’re saying that if Bellamy was to choose between Croft and Hunt, he would choose Croft because Hunt isn’t in his squad, so he can’t pick Hunt.

How did I go?
Appallingly.

Old Timer

Coach
Could you do me a favour and point out my error/s?
The inference was made by others that Bellamy would choose Hunt over Croft
and I suggested that Hunt would not make their run on side
I was then asked if I really believed that and said that I did.
Obviously they are not in the same side so what would actually happen is hard to prove
I used the arguement that if Bellamy thought Hunt was a better player or option than Croft then Bellamy being the astute coach that he is would have already secured the services of Hunt
If he thought initially Croft was the answer then changed his mine and thought Hunt was the better option then he would have already done something to make that happen
As Hunt is not in the Storm system nor to the best of our knowledge being considered as a necessary recruit therefore IMO it is reasonable to assume that Bellamy prefers Croft to Hunt.
I see more credibility in my scenario than people making an emphatic statement Bellamy would pick Hunt over Croft
As I say if Bellamy wanted to pick Hunt over Croft he would have already given himself the opportunity to do that.

SBD82

Coach
The inference was made by others that Bellamy would choose Hunt over Croft
and I suggested that Hunt would not make their run on side
I was then asked if I really believed that and said that I did.
Obviously they are not in the same side so what would actually happen is hard to prove
I used the arguement that if Bellamy thought Hunt was a better player or option than Croft then Bellamy being the astute coach that he is would have already secured the services of Hunt
If he thought initially Croft was the answer then changed his mine and thought Hunt was the better option then he would have already done something to make that happen
As Hunt is not in the Storm system nor to the best of our knowledge being considered as a necessary recruit therefore IMO it is reasonable to assume that Bellamy prefers Croft to Hunt.
I see more credibility in my scenario than people making an emphatic statement Bellamy would pick Hunt over Croft
As I say if Bellamy wanted to pick Hunt over Croft he would have already given himself the opportunity to do that.
Its a downright absurd argument.

Using that logic, if Bellamy had a choice between Tedesco and Hughes he would pick Hughes.

Old Timer

Coach
Its a downright absurd argument.

Using that logic, if Bellamy had a choice between Tedesco and Hughes he would pick Hughes.
So you think Bellamy is a dud in recruitment?
He knew he was going to lose Cronk, Slater and ultimately Smith and when presented with an opportunity to get Hunt who was unwanted by the Broncos he in your opinion failed to do that.
IMO Bellamy already showed what he thinks about Hunt and that’s why Hunt is at St George & not the Storm.
Storm runners up last year & leading the comp this year and St George with Hunt?
Bellamy is a lot smarter than our lot or you, muzby & co.

SBD82

Coach
He knew he was going to lose Cronk, Slater and ultimately Smith and when presented with an opportunity to get Hunt who was unwanted by the Broncos he in your opinion failed to do that.
IMO Bellamy already showed what he thinks about Hunt and that’s why Hunt is at St George & not the Storm.
Storm runners up last year & leading the comp this year and St George with Hunt?
I know you think you’re being very clever here, but you’re actually being extraordinarily disingenuous.

You’re either a fool or a merkin.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My word you are off the mark lately..

We had already signed Hunt before Cronk announced he was leaving..

And how does Slater & Smith work into it? One only retired last year, the other is still playing.

Why would Bellamy bring in Hunt when at the time he was on the market the Storm had Munster, Cronk, Slater & Smith?

There is no way Hunt would have even been on his radar at that point in time.

I await your abuse in response to my logical, unflawed argument..

watatank

Coach
This is such crap. Hunt is a good halfback and we needed to get a good halfback after all the crap we had after Hornby retired. Who cares what we paid.

He would only really be an option at hooker if we had other strong options at halfback and no hooker and we are not anywhere near that.

Old Timer

Coach
My word you are off the mark lately..

We had already signed Hunt before Cronk announced he was leaving..

And how does Slater & Smith work into it? One only retired last year, the other is still playing.

Why would Bellamy bring in Hunt when at the time he was on the market the Storm had Munster, Cronk, Slater & Smith?

There is no way Hunt would have even been on his radar at that point in time.

I await your abuse in response to my logical, unflawed argument..
Most in the media kept discussing what would Bellamy do with the fact that his big 3 were all ageing and coming to the end of their careers.
Same discussion was also being had around the Qld SOO side.
Now Bellamy if he is as astute as many say he is would have known that good playmakers and generals would be something he would be needing sooner rather than later.
You don't replace Cronk and or Slater easily and a lot of thought would go into what to do about that.
The rumours re Cronk retiring or leaving were rife well before we signed Hunt.
If you remember he was considered and discussed by many as an option for us to sign well before we signed Hunt or doesn't your memory serve you that well?
So if we thought we were a chance of signing Cronk or even discussing maybe signing Cronk, you are now telling me that Hunt who you believe to be a great player would not have been in Bellamy's thought process?
IMO the only way "anyone" would not be in Bellamy's thought process would be if he had already dismissed them as a viable option and Bellamy's actions speak louder than words or anything that our limp lot can do re acquiring elite players for that matter.
We have Hunt and are coming nowhere and Storm minus Slater, Cronk and Hunt for that matter are where?

Old Timer

Coach
I know you think you’re being very clever here, but you’re actually being extraordinarily disingenuous.

You’re either a fool or a merkin.
OK tell me why Hunt would get a starting role at the Storm over Croft.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Hunt was after this biggest pay packet , Melbourne never pay the most for players , they have produced them and then bring in players that they can get for bargains for whatever reason to round off squad .

Who was the last big name / paid player they bought

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Most in the media kept discussing what would Bellamy do with the fact that his big 3 were all ageing and coming to the end of their careers.
Same discussion was also being had around the Qld SOO side.
Now Bellamy if he is as astute as many say he is would have known that good playmakers and generals would be something he would be needing sooner rather than later.
You don't replace Cronk and or Slater easily and a lot of thought would go into what to do about that.
The rumours re Cronk retiring or leaving were rife well before we signed Hunt.
If you remember he was considered and discussed by many as an option for us to sign well before we signed Hunt or doesn't your memory serve you that well?
So if we thought we were a chance of signing Cronk or even discussing maybe signing Cronk, you are now telling me that Hunt who you believe to be a great player would not have been in Bellamy's thought process?
IMO the only way "anyone" would not be in Bellamy's thought process would be if he had already dismissed them as a viable option and Bellamy's actions speak louder than words or anything that our limp lot can do re acquiring elite players for that matter.
We have Hunt and are coming nowhere and Storm minus Slater, Cronk and Hunt for that matter are where?
Yes, we approached Cronk. But he chose to stay with the Storm.

So we went after Hunt.

Given Cronk recommitted to the Storm, in what logical world would they have then gone out and chased Hunt as well?

That’s how history has played out.

Had we secured Cronk, then history would be different.

I’m not sure why you can’t grasp this?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
OK tell me why Hunt would get a starting role at the Storm over Croft.
Because Hunt is a better player than Croft..

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
How about you go and find one quote where I said that, and I’ll stop calling you disingenuous.
OK fair point I did get put out by your comment "strange" & "absurd"
Why is it absurd for me to think the way I have tor the way I have supported my view and in the meantime whilst it is not absurd for others to suggest that if both were in the Melbourne squad Hunt would be picked ahead of Croft?
I have simply sated that IMO if Hunt had been an option for Melbourne they would have exercised that option and by not doing so Croft or for that matter others were considered better options than Hunt?

Latest posts