What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns

According to Timana, Johns has been airing racist attitude since he was 18. What happened a couple of days ago broke the camel's back

Raider_69

Post Whore
Im keen to see Matty Johns's take on all of this
are him and andrew still at each other?
Wonder if he'll sh*t can him or defend him

kmav23

Juniors
Always found this debate interesting.

I have heard a black guy call white guys "White Scum, Skippy bitch, cracker" followed by a laugh from them.

But soon as that person came back with "black wanker"....they got all antsy in the pantsy calling them racist.

Not excusing what Johns did, because personally I don't find that kind of talking appropriate, and I think what he said in relation to Inglis is pathetic to say the least - as in calling him purely a merkin...not a black merkin..I find the second word MORE offensive...

But I find the debate interesting, as to the interpretation of racism in this world.

Just because you joke around with your friends with racist terms does not make it okay with other people.

1) If i joke around with my friend and call his mother a sl_ t and he laughs, then i said that to a bunch of workmates... do you think thats okay ?

2) Its illegal and grounds for immediate dismissal in workplaces and organisations even if its a joke or just 1 person is offended. NSWRL has legal duty to sack johns. !!

3) Tahu has said johns has been saying this since tahu was 18, so not once off bad joke... How stupid can johns be to not know he is a role model

4) Johns is a drug taker all of his time at newcastle who covered it up and also was going to switch to rugby until NRL gave him more money above the cap.

GongPanther

Referee
Johns has a condition does he not?

It's obvious now that he has it so bad were he can't control the distinct gap between his Brain and his mouth.

He reminds me of those smart ar$es that will bad mouth you in front of other people just to get their popular laugh only to be sucking right up your ar$e the minute you are alone with them.

kmav23

Juniors
Isn't the term C subjective ???

And as far as i'm aware Inglis would refer to himself as black. He's not yellow, pink, brown or white is he ? So if someone is a black sea, is it not in dispute that the person is black, what is subjective is the sea isn't it. Now if he called inglis a yellow c or a blue c, that would be plainly stupid wouldn't it ?

the difference is johns used it in a Derogatory term and manner which is what racism is to put down the other person.

the word black is a colour on its own nothing wrong..... its the intended meaning of the word.

bluey

Bench
What did this turd say that offended Timana?
Just shows that white people don't understand the depth of feeling involving skin colour.

Maybe joey finds being called A Turd Offensive and should leave this forum without even talking to you about it

noneck

Juniors
Matthew Johns.....living proof that one person can be both a half-wit AND the brains of the family!:lol::lol:

Dazzat

First Grade
Johns has a condition does he not?

It's obvious now that he has it so bad were he can't control the distinct gap between his Brain and his mouth.

He reminds me of those smart ar$es that will bad mouth you in front of other people just to get their popular laugh only to be sucking right up your ar$e the minute you are alone with them.

Yes ... perhaps NSW administrators should take a look at themselves for making him Assistant Coach.

Nickers

Juniors
This area of debate is always going to be divided. Racism is an issue in society in general, not just in rugby league, so experiences from all walks of life are going to have differing opinions on the issue. But it occurred within the environment of rugby league this week, and I would have to agree with Big Mick on this one, what is ok for some is not ok for others.

I attended the NRL All Stars vs Indigenous game at skilled park earlier in the year. I thought the concept of the game was fantastic, celebrating the indigenous contribution to the game of league. I was even happy for the indigenous team to win. That was until after the game, when we had to endure the foul, racist words coming from the mouths of the indigenous supporters. The words white and c*** were used continuously along with "you white ____ are nothing without us, australia is nothing with us, you're all f****" along with other abuse. Andrew Symonds, the cricketer, who is an aboriginal himself, happened to be sitting next to me. He along with all of us was offended of the display by the supporters around us, which involved easily 20-30 indigenous people. We were calling for security to take them away or ask them to stop. Not one security gaurd moved. You all know as good as I do how that would have gone down if it was the other way around.

And whilst it doesnt make it fair, because they say it doesnt mean we can say it too. Race should never be referred too. It was completely UNNECESSARY for Timana Tahu to make such a public display over something which could have EASILY been kept between A and B, apologises could have been given and all this unnecessary negative media attention on the game, which it does NOT need, could have been avoided. It should have remained private. But Timana is one of the converts, negative media attention on league presumably does not bother him.

If this is the worst Tahu has heard, which I doubt considering the sledges which occur on the field, he might like to come and join me in the stands next indigenous vs nrl all stars game and see the horrible words thrown towards people with white skin. Maybe he wont be so quick to run and dob then.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
This area of debate is always going to be divided. Racism is an issue in society in general, not just in rugby league, so experiences from all walks of life are going to have differing opinions on the issue. But it occurred within the environment of rugby league this week, and I would have to agree with Big Mick on this one, what is ok for some is not ok for others.

I attended the NRL All Stars vs Indigenous game at skilled park earlier in the year. I thought the concept of the game was fantastic, celebrating the indigenous contribution to the game of league. I was even happy for the indigenous team to win. That was until after the game, when we had to endure the foul, racist words coming from the mouths of the indigenous supporters. The words white and c*** were used continuously along with "you white ____ are nothing without us, australia is nothing with us, you're all f****" along with other abuse. Andrew Symonds, the cricketer, who is an aboriginal himself, happened to be sitting next to me. He along with all of us was offended of the display by the supporters around us, which involved easily 20-30 indigenous people. We were calling for security to take them away or ask them to stop. Not one security gaurd moved. You all know as good as I do how that would have gone down if it was the other way around.

And whilst it doesnt make it fair, because they say it doesnt mean we can say it too. Race should never be referred too. It was completely UNNECESSARY for Timana Tahu to make such a public display over something which could have EASILY been kept between A and B, apologises could have been given and all this unnecessary negative media attention on the game, which it does NOT need, could have been avoided. It should have remained private. But Timana is one of the converts, negative media attention on league presumably does not bother him.

If this is the worst Tahu has heard, which I doubt considering the sledges which occur on the field, he might like to come and join me in the stands next indigenous vs nrl all stars game and see the horrible words thrown towards people with white skin. Maybe he wont be so quick to run and dob then.

Racism, like everything else, isn't monopolised by one "race". Funnily enough, thinking it is, is actually a racist notion. :crazy:

If you throw a blanket over 100 people, there are going to be all kinds of people under that blanket - racists, liars, thieves and plenty of decent folk. It doesn't matter what ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, or anything else those people are.

It's no more right that the Indigenous All-Stars supporters were doing that than if the KKK turned up in white sheets.

Two wrongs don't make a right ... never have, never will.

Pretty much every person is capable of racism and just about everyone falls into the trap of it occasionally. I know I've been guilty of it. We should strive to be better, though.

I hope that if nothing else, Tahu has helped Johns grow a little bit as a person. He sounds generally distraught over it all. Maybe the realisation that racial slurs directed at somebody else (or even just uttered in a general way) can actually upset a personal friend will help him make the link that racism results in a lot of unintended consequences. If you're not meaning to slur an entire ethnic group (and "black c***" is an awful slur that can actually cause distress to a lot of different groups), then maybe just leave race out of it altogether.

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
Andrew Symonds, the cricketer, who is an aboriginal himself, happened to be sitting next to me. He along with all of us was offended of the display by the supporters around us, which involved easily 20-30 indigenous people. We were calling for security to take them away or ask them to stop. Not one security gaurd moved. You all know as good as I do how that would have gone down if it was the other way around.

dude, Andrew Symonds is not Aboriginal.

Kiki

First Grade
also i spent the whole week at the Goldy working for Errol and the NRL, and went to the game, and i witnessed nothing like that at all. it was all very positive and uplifting. maybe i was lucky, i dunno.