What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Voss - why?

Solid

Juniors
Spot on,

I don't think Rugby League should stick with "greats" or former players dominating broadcasts asscosiated with the game. Lets be honest the vast majority of players can't string an intelligent sentence together, and the few retired players that barely can have already got a gig on Fox or 9 and we all currently complain at how sh*t they are.

In my opinion Rugby League needs more people like Vossy or folks (male or female) with the same background. People who have a profession in media presentation, that simply just love the sport, know it inside out, and call it like it is with no biased hidden agendas to push.... People who are a good face for the sport and can sell it to the wider audience.

Agree 100%

Communication skills >> Expert Rugby League skills

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I'm a big fan of the inclusion of Voss in the show. A guy does the wrong thing, and you'll know he'll be grilled for answers from Voss, instead of the love-in Fatty and Johns will provide.

For too long the show has just been the panel batting over whichever guest they have on the show.

Whilst Voss can go a little bit overboard at times, and does get quite abrasive, the show has definitely gone in a better direction than previous years. It still needs to scrap the variety show garbage and just talk footy, they need to bring back in Sterlo, Gould, and even god forbid, Hadley.

The comedy routines (I use that term loosely) is what drove me away from Thursday night footy shows. I am not alone on that, all you have to do is look at the ratings.
Voss is good on The Roast but is still finding his place on the Thursday night panel. I tuned in one rare Thursday night to see the Brett Finch appearance and was pretty impressed that Vossy didn't lick ass like the rest of them. He can be abrassive and could still make the same point if he toned it down, but like others have mentioned, at least he talks footy and asks what people watching are thinking.
I hope he just cuts out the comedy sh*t he tries. I may watch more if that happens

Danish

Referee
haven't read the entire thread so don't know if its been suggested...

But I would prefer to see Matty bounced in favour of Sterlo.

I think having a panel of Sterlo, Fatty and Vossy would be a great mix. Voss is a prick, but he asks questions that the fans want answered, so keep him on. Sterlo is just a brilliant football mind, and must be a part of the show. Fatty also has a great opinion on football IMO, however it has just been buried under the mountain of sh*t sprayed from Harragon and Johns for so long that we haven't seen it in a long time.

Those 3 would make an excellent panel, and you could then introduce various part time hosts during the season ranging from A. Johns (much better when without his brother), Wally Lewis, Gus Gould and a couple others.

Add to that a couple guest panelist players and you are good to go. Kimmorley, Petro, Prince and Price come to mind as options.

nqcowboy87

Bench
one problem i also have with voss is he at times comes off as a know it all and when he speaks its as if hes played the game before where as im not sure hes made it past u10's, maybe if he didnt come of so arrogant and cut the comedy out of his game it would work

dragonic

Juniors
Andrew Voss is full of his own importance. He puts sh!t on everything and everyone. He is not interested in promoting Rugby League, he is interested in promoting Andrew Voss.

this is too true.

just because he makes the predictable "grilling" comments to the players that we see in all the other mainstream media - that doesn't make him any more intelligent than the hosts that suck up to the players - at least the hosts that suck up to the players give the players an opportunity to speak about the other side of the coin...

i guess we shall see another stellar effort tonight!

....and i will go back into my den of voss hate and stop bothering the vast majority of people on here with it ;)

Azkatro

First Grade
I like him.

But what annoys me is not what he asks, it's how he asks. He's says it aggressively, & a lot of the time cuts them off mid-answer.

Just needs to relax, Thursday show ain't the same as the Roast.
Yep. I feel like Vossy is one of us, just a fan of the game. And yeah he does ask questions others won't that we all wonder about sometimes. But he needs to show the guests and the other panel members a bit more respect.

otori

Juniors
As much as I dislike AFL, their footy show sh*ts all over ours. I will actually watch theirs because it's entertaining and funny. I don't think the Thursday Footy Show should be that much about footy because we have the Sunday one and the Roast to do that. I do support asking hard questions of the players but sh*t on the AFL show like the Gary Lyons crying footage or the continual fights between Sam and the Hawthorn captain always get a laugh out of me.

Eels Dude

Coach
The problem with Vossy is that he never lets other people have their say. He continually cuts off other people's answers mid sentence which is a lack of respect towards them. That goes for both guests and fellow panelists. If he was willing to sit back and listen to other people's opinions instead of interrupting mid sentence all the time he'd be a lot a better.

That interview with David Gallop on the opening show this year was cringeworthy because he wouldn't let Gallop get a word in, and butted in so agressively. There's no point in asking "tough" questions if you don't let people answer them properly. It really defeats the purpose.

Charlie124

First Grade
this is too true.

just because he makes the predictable "grilling" comments to the players that we see in all the other mainstream media - that doesn't make him any more intelligent than the hosts that suck up to the players - at least the hosts that suck up to the players give the players an opportunity to speak about the other side of the coin...

i guess we shall see another stellar effort tonight!

....and i will go back into my den of voss hate and stop bothering the vast majority of people on here with it ;)

what what what??????

The reason people are saying they like him is because he asks the "grilling" questions to the players that we don't get from anyone else (with the occasional exception of Gus Gould)

barney gumble

Juniors
In the past I never particularly liked Vossy at all, but he has won me over a little watching him on the footy show.
I do like that he does ask the direct questions that the majority of fans want asked. I find it a little hypocritcal that some people bag him for expressing his opinion without being an ex player.

kbw

Bench
Voss is rubbish, he has absolutely no idea what the hell he is talking about.
His attempts at humour are pathetic and his attempts at tackling the serious issues are are nothing short of farcical.
But frankly he fits in very well at Ch9 as there is no quality of commentary there regarding RL.
Sometimes I think he is more senile than Ray Warren.
And like Ray it appears that none of the ex-footballers at Ch9 have any respect for Voss

sando88

Not a Moderator
i think vossy, matt, fatty are the perfect mix. possibly need 1 more serious/interviewer (not the sh*t female one they got on just so people think the show isnt sexist)

i hated the likes of sterling and harrigan. not hated but they were pointless, provide as much knowledge as fatty and matty but the latter are actually humourous

laurie daley i hated the most. tried way too hard to fitt in. not funny. worst host and speaker. dumb questions. ugly head for tv. not even good as a commentator. only has a job at fox obviously cos hes a past legend

nqcowboy87

Bench
i hated the likes of sterling and harrigan. not hated but they were pointless, provide as much knowledge as fatty and matty but the latter are actually humourous

are you referring to the same sterling as us

hutch

First Grade
yes, he comes across as boring and not confident infront of a tv screen.

you are kidding right? sterlo is one of the most knowledgable people around when it comes to rugby league. he is extremely confident in front of the camera when it comes to rugby league and commentating, just not dressing up in women's clothes and doing stupid pranks. i think you will find that 99.9% of people here disagree with your opinion.

Latest posts