What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andy Farrell wins Golden Boot award

gregstar

Referee
Let's not be too surprised - remember the poms used to have phill tufnell in the world's top ten bowlers at one stage!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nook

Bench
add to that Brian Noble winning the international coach of the year award

:roll:

Bennet - coaching the world champions have have performed poorly on a tour marked by some very questionable selections

Noble - first year in the job, some brave selections, coached the much maligned Poms to a table topping position in the TriNations, and a chance to finally beat Australia. GB now widely recognised as a genuine threat to Australia. Not to mention a WCC win and taking Bradford to the GF for the second year in a row.

Who would you give the award to, you f**king genius? Daniel Anderson?

aqua_duck

Coach
Look the fact that Danny Buderus wasn't even nominated shows what a joke the award was. Buderus was Dally M player of the year, captained NSW to a SOO victory, and played every test for AUstralia including 2 as captain, sure he hasn't been as dominant in the tri nations but Lockyer has missed half the tri nations yet he still got nominated. I really don't know what the award is about, if its based on talent Farrell is light years behind Lockyer, if its based on form this year Buderus is ahead of certainly Webcke and probably Lockyer as well. A agree there were no standouts for Australia but I don't think Farrell was any better than Fielden, Carney, Morley or Sculthrope this series, so you can say there was no real stand out for GB either. Lets not foprget that its not like GB have been dominant over Australia, the overall is one a piece and Lockyer has been missing from both games. As for Farrell being the best leader, well the runs aren't really on the board, he has failed to lead Wigan to the superleague crown in recent times, he has in large part failed to lead his team to defeat Australia.

IN my opinion if Andy Farrell was playing NRL he would be a good 1st grader at best, anyone who thinks super league is as competitive as the NRL is kidding themselves. Tonie Carroll scored 22 tries in SL in 2001, I mean Tonie Carroll would be one of the slowest centres running around in the NRL if he was still playing out there.

gregstar

Referee
Tonie Carroll scored 22 tries in SL in 2001, I mean Tonie Carroll would be one of the slowest centres running around in the NRL if he was still playing out there.
don't let a bronco supporter see that! - they're still convinced he deserves to be there! perhaps he deserves the golden boot! :lol:

Nook

Bench
Fielden, Carney, Morley or Sculthrope this series, so you can say there was no real stand out for GB either.

Fielden was crap this year for the Bulls
Carney injured most of the year
Sculthorpe indifferent for a battling Saints outfit
Morley not at his best

vs Farrell arguably best year of his career, carrying Wigan.

I agree that Buderas probably should have been nominated. I still think Farrell is a fair call.

As for this line argument about Lockyer winning because he has more talent - if thats the case, why hasn't Johns won every year since 1996? Or Lockyer, if you think he is the most talented player going around? Form is crucial.

aqua_duck

Coach
Thats what confuses me. If it is on form Buderus deserved to be there ahead of Webcke and probably Lockyer. As for the standout I was only refering to Tri Nations.

Broncodroid

Juniors
gregstar said:
Tonie Carroll scored 22 tries in SL in 2001, I mean Tonie Carroll would be one of the slowest centres running around in the NRL if he was still playing out there.
don't let a bronco supporter see that! - they're still convinced he deserves to be there! perhaps he deserves the golden boot! :lol:

Don't let all morons like the above speak for ALL Bronco fans...I have not come across one Brisbane fan whom I have respect for that offers an opinion suggesting TC should still be a centre in the NRL. In the same sentence, I have not spoken to ANY Bronco fan that would dare suggest TC as a candidate for the Golden Boot Award ? :roll:

Whilst the post was perhaps in jest, do not label ALL supporters of a certain team in one bracket due to a minority...ALOT of fans on this board are fickle with BS opinions that border ridiculous given the amount of bias, I, and quite a few Bronco fans on this board offer a realistic opinion in reference to our players and their form.

Perhaps you have mistaken Bronco fans for a Doggie fans suggesting Matt Utai is better than Wendell Sailor as a RL winger ? Perhaps a Canberra fan suggesting Shifcofske was the games best fullback ? ;-)

Warrington_Mike

Juniors
i agree with nook, even though i am just a "pom". :evil:

farrell battled all year, and anyone who saw his nose earlier in the season will agree! :shock: i dont think he's been the best player in the tri nations TBH but he's done really well all season for wigan. I cant think of anyone who has played out of their skins, except brian carney, and as was said earlier, he's been injured most of the season with a broken ankle, and then a hamstring injury. so he couldnt really be considered. we hate wigan here in warrington, but i think he deserves it. So hats off to the guy.

gregstar

Referee
Don't let all morons like the above speak for ALL Bronco fans...I have not come across one Brisbane fan whom I have respect for that offers an opinion suggesting TC should still be a centre in the NRL. In the same sentence, I have not spoken to ANY Bronco fan that would dare suggest TC as a candidate for the Golden Boot Award ?

Whilst the post was perhaps in jest, do not label ALL supporters of a certain team in one bracket due to a minority...ALOT of fans on this board are fickle with BS opinions that border ridiculous given the amount of bias, I, and quite a few Bronco fans on this board offer a realistic opinion in reference to our players and their form.

Perhaps you have mistaken Bronco fans for a Doggie fans suggesting Matt Utai is better than Wendell Sailor as a RL winger ? Perhaps a Canberra fan suggesting Shifcofske was the games best fullback ?
get off the roids you humourless pratt!

Broncodroid

Juniors
Warrington Mike said:
farrell battled all year, and anyone who saw his nose earlier in the season will agree!

Your point being ? I saw it, a bad break though keep in mind, Andrew Johns played with a punctured lung risking perhaps death as 'experts' claimed at the time, Shane Webcke played a final with a broken arm, John Sattler played a GF with a broken jaw...this is Rugby League bud. Players play with injuries. This point makes Farrell no better than any top rate professional player.

In ANY Wigan game I saw this season, I admit Farrell was good, one of the better forwards on the park and on a couple of occasions proved to be a key figure in wins...though I say again, the UK SL is a weaker competition no matter how much BS some UK fans will spew and this has too be taken into consideration when we look at judging this award.

NO, I am not saying NO UK SL player cannot ever win this award, though IMO the player needs to do alot more than Farrell did to beat out a guy like Buderus who would of ranked before Lockyer and Webcke if this was fair dinkum as would of Parramatta's Nathan Hindmarsh and Canterbury's Steve Price. YES, to the member who would not dare to rate a forward before Lockyer, it can happen and has before. See Brad Clyde in the early to mid 90's who ranked as the games best at various times.

Again, I harp about the ommission of Danny Buderus as a contender for this award which is perhaps simply a popularity contest given Bedsy' was not mentioned in the top 3 which for mine is laughable.

Good luck to Farrell, he got the nod, though I will not recognise him as the games best nor as a top 10 player in World Rugby League.

Cheers

Warrington_Mike

Juniors
fair play to you.
i wont be arguing that UK SL is as strong as in Oz, becasue it isn't, we dont have the strength in depth of your teams over there. rugby league is such a minority sport over here, as i'm sure you know. :cry:

fact is that we aint beaten you guys for years, and i still say that farrell led us to that elusive win, AS WELL AS being a great player for wigan this year. Therefore despite hating him for most of the season, i say well done!

Warrington_Mike

Juniors
oh, and i dont think he can be fairly judged unless he had played over there. Who knows how he'd go, he might have been a run-of-the-mill forward or he might have been a standout player.

Warrington_Mike said:
oh, and i dont think he can be fairly judged unless he had played over there. Who knows how he'd go, he might have been a run-of-the-mill forward or he might have been a standout player.

I think he has the physical tools and ability to be a stand out in any comp...I think he has in the past struggled against opposition of similar ability and will go missing a bit instead of biting down and going harder. that may be in part to having a relatively easy run through 10 years or so of English league (I agree it has improved markedly the last couple of years, but the Tonie Carrol example, coupled by Willie Peters being rated over there don't paint a great picture) and only having to step up a few times a year, or it may be due to the pressure of him being 'Great Britains great hope' for so long.
Agreed he seems to have improved a lot this year from the ESL I saw and he seems to be more involved in the tests so far...but I still rate Morley, Fielden and Sculthorpe ahead of him in their pack

In-goal

Bench
you can't compare the SL with the NRL and how players perform some have come of great NRL seasons and done nothing in the SL likewise the other way.

Farrell had a great season in the Challenge Cup, The Super League and now the tri-nations.

Buderus wasa standout player for an ordinary club side, he shone in SOO and has had an less than impressive test season so how come he would get nominated?

RL has more to offer than these biggots that believe if he ain't Australian he can't be any good, i still don't think there has been a player in the modern era as good as Ellery Hanley including Johns. T.Lamb and Phil Gould new this thats why Hanley was nearly killed.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Broncodroid said:
Again, I harp about the ommission of Danny Buderus as a contender for this award which is perhaps simply a popularity contest given Bedsy' was not mentioned in the top 3 which for mine is laughable.

Good luck to Farrell, he got the nod, though I will not recognise him as the games best nor as a top 10 player in World Rugby League.

Cheers

I try to be unbais when it comes to things like this, and to be honest I didn't think for second that Danny would even win the Dally M (even though I knew he deserved it), but I agree with you and I was shocked to not even see him or Hindmarsh nominated.
I would have even ben happy if Hindmarsh won it.

Good on Farrell for winning it though, they must have thought he truley deserved it.

Azkatro

First Grade
Perhaps leadership skills come into the award calculations. Not many would dispute me if I suggest that Buderus is an average captain at best. Farrell on the other hand is a magnificent leader.

Charge

Juniors
What most of you Aussies don't see is the ESL week in week out. Farrell has been topping the OPTA stats for Prop by 1000 pts every month that he played there this season. 2nd place normally going to Fielden (Bradford) or King (Hull).

Not only did he get man of steel, but he also got players player of the year, which means that the players from the ESL thought he has been the standout player of the competition, much more important than the Man Of Steel because that gets voted for by a panel.

This fantastic season combined with captaining GB to the top of the table in the Tri-Nations (after a lot of people on this board said Aus would go through unbeaten to meet NZ in the final :roll: ) means that he definately deserves the Golden Boot. If you look at the stats in the Tri-Nations he has been in the top 5 of his team for everything in every match apart from when he was ill against NZ.

Well done Andy, you definately deserve it. :clap:

Jono078

Referee
Broncodroid said:
Warrington Mike said:
farrell battled all year, and anyone who saw his nose earlier in the season will agree!

Your point being ? I saw it, a bad break though keep in mind, Andrew Johns played with a punctured lung risking perhaps death as 'experts' claimed at the time, Shane Webcke played a final with a broken arm, John Sattler played a GF with a broken jaw...this is Rugby League bud. Players play with injuries. This point makes Farrell no better than any top rate professional player.

In ANY Wigan game I saw this season, I admit Farrell was good, one of the better forwards on the park and on a couple of occasions proved to be a key figure in wins...though I say again, the UK SL is a weaker competition no matter how much BS some UK fans will spew and this has too be taken into consideration when we look at judging this award.

NO, I am not saying NO UK SL player cannot ever win this award, though IMO the player needs to do alot more than Farrell did to beat out a guy like Buderus who would of ranked before Lockyer and Webcke if this was fair dinkum as would of Parramatta's Nathan Hindmarsh and Canterbury's Steve Price. YES, to the member who would not dare to rate a forward before Lockyer, it can happen and has before. See Brad Clyde in the early to mid 90's who ranked as the games best at various times.

Cheers

Danny Buderus played the last game of the season just after coming out of the hospital a few hours earlier, and played the last quater of the season with a foot injury. And from what I know it still isnt 100%.

Nook

Bench
And from what I know it still isnt 100%.

And isn't playing at 100%, either. He's had a poor tri nations, by his standards. Contrast with Farrell, who also won the biggest individual prize his competition had to offer, captained his injury-riddled side into the finals ( as opposed to Buderus in a similar situation), and captained his much-denigrated national side to the final of the Tri Series. A worthy winner.

Latest posts