What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Angry Gallop's threat to Nine: use it or lose it

yakstorm

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
Ummmm....it did? I'd love to see where in the deal it says that.

I don't doubt Gallop made that request but if he REALLY did, I don't see how Channel 9 can just go against that agreement by blacking us out completely!

Channel 9 can get out of it, because they ensured the clause was in there stating that if they are unable to satisfy their commitments to the Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth markets, that the NRL would be able to give the Channel 9 feed to either ABC or SBS in those markets.

Dasher39

Juniors
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
I wish gallop would work a deal where the ABC or SBS would broadcast every Melbourne game (even if Fox has the rights)
Amen to that.

I have Foxtel, so it doesn't particularly worry me, but I'd like all games to be on FTA so the greater population at least has a chance to see the game.

Will it happen? Not bloody likely!

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
Exactly. I don't have Foxtel. I want live FTA games when the Storm are involved and I want live Origins and Test matches into Melbourne. And i don't want to have to pay for it!
I have Foxtell and still can't see any Friday night game at a decent time.

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
yakstorm said:
Channel 9 can get out of it, because they ensured the clause was in there stating that if they are unable to satisfy their commitments to the Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth markets, that the NRL would be able to give the Channel 9 feed to either ABC or SBS in those markets.
But the ABC nor SBS want it though.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Captian_Klutz said:
But the ABC nor SBS want it though.

Why wouldn't they?

Before the SL war, RL was on saturdays every week on ABC, the QLD is on ABC every week.

When SL kicked off, ABC showed the games.

Razor

Coach
Dodger said:
If Fox Sports were state based, SA, WA and other states would see NO RL. Really smart :clap:

No SA and WA would see more.

Same as years ago, the AFL was shown live on C7 sport in QLD & NSW Friday and Saturday nights. While it was being shown at 1:00am on 7.

If Fox Sports was state based, WA, SA and VIC would get Friday night live.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hot air from Gallop. I'll eat my hat if he gives games to the ABC or SBS. Ch9 got the deal they wanted, Fox got the deal it wanted, RL fans? Shafted as usual!

the league should sign a deal with all free to air stations - 9 show friday night games/ channel 2 - saturday night games -sbs and ten - sunday games and channel 7 - monday night game. even channel 13 could show a game.

radio the same- 2 gb/2ue/abc/2sm/fm station

people shouldn't be forced to subscribe to murdoch tv to watch any game or sport

Lowdown

Juniors
marshall stalin said:
people shouldn't be forced to subscribe to murdoch tv to watch any game or sport

Get with the times mate. It's 2007, not 1997...

Because of Pay TV, there are thousands of people that get to watch their team play evey single game for the whole season. It offers convenience, sensible viewing hours, un-interupted coverage.

Go to England and try to watch Premier League on FTA TV. Go to USA and try to watch a NBA, NFL or MLB on FTA TV.

It's reality...move on.

shaggy

Juniors
exactly, as if the nrl is goin 2 sign a a deal that goes against news, out of the abc & sbs who has the beta coverage?

first we deal with the nrl in the afl states then premier league

Brutus

Referee
Gallop is also angry at Fox Sports for putting the RL on FS3.

Why allow such sh*t to happen in the first place David when you sign the TV contracts? Many country people cannot get MNF on radio and now they are experiencing the same problems with Pay TV thanks to this ludicrious FS3 arrangement.

El Diablo

Post Whore
at the time the NRL TV deal was done FS3 didn't exist and Fox Sports didn't have twinkieball

Brutus

Referee
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/mauled-by-a-punishing-schedule-its-no-wonder-players-are-out-ontheir-feet/2007/05/04/1177788394807.html

Mauled by a punishing schedule, it's nowonder players are out on their feet

Roy Masters | May 5, 2007

A FEW footballers will awake today and tomorrow feeling like Jack Dempsey in Toledo.
After Dempsey beat Jess Willard under a blazing sky in Toledo on July 4, 1919 for the heavyweight championship of the world, he fell asleep in his hotel room.
Dehydrated, bruised and feeling faint, he awoke in the early evening unsure whether all that had occurred had been merely a dream. He raced out onto the footpath, according to Sports Illustrated, and stopped a passing newsboy who was selling late editions of the Toledo Blade, containing a report of the fight.
"Who's the heavyweight champion?" Dempsey asked frantically. The boy gaped at him and replied, "You are, you dope!"
NRL players completing a murderer's row of three games in five days, particularly some Sharks who have flown to Auckland from Coffs Harbour via Sydney, will feel like Dempsey.
After playing a Monday night game in Newcastle, Cronulla's representatives in the City-Country match flew to Coffs Harbour for Thursday night's annual fixture and line up against the Warriors in Auckland tonight.
Former Penrith player Lew Zivanovic, who has made a fortune in the scaffolding business, made his private plane available to fly the Panthers' City captain Craig Gower and Luke Lewis from Coffs Harbour to Sydney for last night's match.
Both players showered after the game and then rushed to the airport, it apparently being important for the Panthers to have one night in their own beds before fronting the Dragons.
Some players are so tired they can be Rip van Winkles in foreign beds. City fullback Anthony Minichiello, who played for the Roosters on Anzac Day, slept 12 hours straight at the City's team's Coffs Harbour resort.
"Broadcasting commitments" is the excuse offered by the NRL for this exhausting schedule, brought about by a game which proved little. The City-Country match was a dour spectacle, played in front of a crowd described by NSWRL officials as "appalling", and produced seven injuries, three serious, and merely confirmed the representative potential of some bench players for the Blues.
And it's not as if the broadcasters are doing much in return.
When members of the City team gathered on Monday night to watch the Knights v Sharks match, the resort did not have Fox Sports 3, the channel which carries live NRL games.
Parramatta, on recent road trips to Brisbane and the Gold Coast, had no Fox Sport 3 at their hotels. Ditto the Townsville and Newcastle hotels used by NRL teams and the Coogee hotel used by teams visiting Sydney.
NRL chief executive David Gallop emails his Fox Sports counterpart, David Malone, each time a hotel or club not carrying Fox Sports 3 is brought to his attention.
When Gallop was staying at the Byron Bay resort owned by Harvey Norman's Katie Page, a director of the NRL board, Fox Sports 3 was unavailable.
Gallop called Malone and Fox Sports 3 was switched on, but Fox Sports 2, which carries NRL replays, was turned off.
Malone recently told the Herald: "The percentage of Fox Sports pubs and clubs that have Fox Sports 3 as part of their service is over 92 per cent nationally."
It would seem the 8 per cent which do not are all NRL-accredited hotels, plus the Melbourne ones which don't need it because the majority of patrons watch AFL on Fox Sports 1.
Last year, NRL was on Fox Sports 1 but was pushed to 3 to use rugby league's popularity to force Austar subscribers to upgrade their packages and Foxtel customers to switch to digital.
Meanwhile, despite an angry letter from Gallop on Monday, Malone refuses to respond. When you are delivering profits of $60m to Channel Nine and News Ltd, co-owners of Fox Sports, you don't have to speak to the sport which makes the makes the money, particularly when you are a monopoly and the rights don't expire until the end of 2012.
If the heavyweight champion of the world today awoke in a similar state to Dempsey, he wouldn't find a newsboy or even extra editions, and the word dope now refers to something else.
In fact, he'd have trouble finding anyone who recognised him, given the plethora of world champs.
Of course, today's champion could turn on his TV to check the result of his bout, but there's a big chance the hotel wouldn't be carrying Fox Sports 3.
NRL chief executive David Gallop emails his Fox Sports counterpart, David Malone, each time a hotel or club not carrying Fox Sports 3 is brought to his attention.
When Gallop was staying at the Byron Bay resort owned by Harvey Norman's Katie Page, a director of the NRL board, Fox Sports 3 was unavailable.
Gallop called Malone and Fox Sports 3 was switched on, but Fox Sports 2, which carries NRL replays, was turned off.
Malone recently told the Herald: "The percentage of Fox Sports pubs and clubs that have Fox Sports 3 as part of their service is over 92 per cent nationally."
It would seem the 8 per cent which do not are all NRL-accredited hotels, plus the Melbourne ones which don't need it because the majority of patrons watch AFL on Fox Sports 1.
Last year, NRL was on Fox Sports 1 but was pushed to 3 to use rugby league's popularity to force Austar subscribers to upgrade their packages and Foxtel customers to switch to digital.
Meanwhile, despite an angry letter from Gallop on Monday, Malone refuses to respond. When you are delivering profits of $60m to Channel Nine and News Ltd, co-owners of Fox Sports, you don't have to speak to the sport which makes the makes the money, particularly when you are a monopoly and the rights don't expire until the end of 2012.
If the heavyweight champion of the world today awoke in a similar state to Dempsey, he wouldn't find a newsboy or even extra editions, and the word dope now refers to something else.
In fact, he'd have trouble finding anyone who recognised him, given the plethora of world champs.
Of course, today's champion could turn on his TV to check the result of his bout, but there's a big chance the hotel wouldn't be carrying Fox Sports 3.

Kilkenny

Coach
marshall stalin said:
the league should sign a deal with all free to air stations - 9 show friday night games/ channel 2 - saturday night games -sbs and ten - sunday games and channel 7 - monday night game. even channel 13 could show a game.

radio the same- 2 gb/2ue/abc/2sm/fm station

Get yourself down to a live Friday night game televised by Channel nine.

At restarts, mostly after tries, the players and crowd have to wait until channel nine completes there advertisements and the referee gets the all clear to restart to game. Frankly, at the Penrith v Parramatta fixture a couple of weeks back it was farcical.

Like it or not Pay TV is here to stay, is the future and hopefully when almost all have subscriptions the product should be even better than it is now.

ibeme

First Grade
Kilkenny said:
Get yourself down to a live Friday night game televised by Channel nine.

At restarts, mostly after tries, the players and crowd have to wait until channel nine completes there advertisements and the referee gets the all clear to restart to game. Frankly, at the Penrith v Parramatta fixture a couple of weeks back it was farcical.

Like it or not Pay TV is here to stay, is the future and hopefully when almost all have subscriptions the product should be even better than it is now.

That's been happening in the AFL for years. I actually don't mind it. It's a small price to play for live coverage.

jason taylor

Bench
As long as Gallop gets more coverage, then good on him. At least he isn't recalcitrant and refuses to admit mistakes.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I like the bit about David Gallop has to email fox sports every time he hears about a pub without Fox 3.

Is this serious, have we resorted to this, The moment they got shafted to Fox 3 Dave should of been beating the door down and stood his ground, what was fox s reply ok dave just email us when you find a problem.

I would say 80%of Motel type accomodation in Australia does not have fox 3, hope you like emailing Dave....